British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I-134 question - confused (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-134-question-confused-109538/)

Sioneva Jul 16th 2002 9:57 pm

I-134 question - confused

Hi folks--sorry if this posts twice, as I got disconnected halfway.

I may have just done a very bad thing--don't know. I sent my fiance, who's in England, the I-134 (and my parents' co-sponsor I-134), but their tax return is not notarized (yes, my father is self-employed, so we did need to submit the tax return, and yes, both of us had our I-134s notarized properly). The checklist on the London embassy site says that tax returns are to be notarized, but info that I've gotten from the newsgroup and various other K-1 info sites give conflicting information: some say tax returns need to be notarized, some say they don't, and not to worry about it.

Did I just screw up? Do I need to ask my parents to send me a notarized tax return? Has anyone gone through London in the last few months, not had notarized tax returns, and still gotten the visa, or conversely, been denied the visa because the tax returns weren't notarized?

Thanks!

Heidi (attempting not to panic over yet another nitpicky point)

rogerpenycate Jul 17th 2002 12:06 am

Re: I-134 question - confused

Hi,
I've just had my interview in London, although slightly different
in so far as it was an I-130 spousal visa (but I can't imagine it is any different in your case)
I presented my US wife's
W2's
Maryland state tax returns
1040's (tax returns)

None of these were notarized, and it didn't present a problem.
Just so that you don't panic, the officer "tossed aside" the W2's
and maryland tax returns saying "I don't need these" and then looked through the 1040's

I hope this helps and good luck

Sioneva Jul 17th 2002 1:54 am

Thanks...that makes me feel better!

rogerpenycate Jul 17th 2002 7:56 am

Hi
I'm sorry I owe you an apology, My wifes tax returns
WERE NOTARIZED, it's the W2's only that weren't.
I hope you get this and can get the notarized copies in time
Sorry
Roger

Sioneva Jul 17th 2002 3:09 pm

Well, all I can say is that it's harder to find a notary than I'd thought. Took the darn forms to my bank yesterday, where they'd already notarized the I-134, and "This credit union does not notarize true and exact copies" was my response.

So, now I get to take them to a mailboxes etc. tonight, in the hopes that they'll do it (the guy on the phone said he thought he could do that) and pay $6/signature.

This. Royally. Sucks. I've already verified, in the I-134 that I can support him...I would consider it a huge hassle to try and fake a tax return...and I'm not even, in the end, the real sponsor!!! (my parents are the ones with the income to be sponsors). They'll have to get this done too, meaning more time.

Thank goodness my fiance's not gotten his interview date yet, so we've got lots of time.

What's funny is that this, of all the trouble thus far, has brought me the closest to tears.

Joe Thomas Jul 17th 2002 6:20 pm

The US embassy in Plilippines asked for noterized returns as well for my K1 Fiancee (
almost 2 yrs ago ). Just to be on safe side, if she hasnt had the interview yet, get
the noterized returns and send them to her anyway.

JoeAlpha

"Sioneva" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks--sorry if this posts twice, as I got disconnected halfway.
    >
    > I may have just done a very bad thing--don't know. I sent my fiance, who's in
    > England, the I-134 (and my parents' co-sponsor I-134), but their tax return is not
    > notarized (yes, my father is self-employed, so we did need to submit the tax
    > return, and yes, both of us had our I-134s notarized properly). The checklist on
    > the London embassy site says that tax returns are to be notarized, but info that
    > I've gotten from the newsgroup and various other K-1 info sites give conflicting
    > information: some say tax returns need to be notarized, some say they don't, and
    > not to worry about it.
    >
    > Did I just screw up? Do I need to ask my parents to send me a notarized tax return?
    > Has anyone gone through London in the last few months, not had notarized tax
    > returns, and still gotten the visa, or conversely, been denied the visa because the
    > tax returns weren't notarized?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Heidi (attempting not to panic over yet another nitpicky point)
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Johnson Pervis Jul 17th 2002 6:20 pm

tax returns cannot be notarized.

--
Johnson "Sioneva" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi folks--sorry if this posts twice, as I got disconnected halfway.
    >
    > I may have just done a very bad thing--don't know. I sent my fiance, who's in
    > England, the I-134 (and my parents' co-sponsor I-134), but their tax return is not
    > notarized (yes, my father is self-employed, so we did need to submit the tax
    > return, and yes, both of us had our I-134s notarized properly). The checklist on
    > the London embassy site says that tax returns are to be notarized, but info that
    > I've gotten from the newsgroup and various other K-1 info sites give conflicting
    > information: some say tax returns need to be notarized, some say they don't, and
    > not to worry about it.
    >
    > Did I just screw up? Do I need to ask my parents to send me a notarized tax return?
    > Has anyone gone through London in the last few months, not had notarized tax
    > returns, and still gotten the visa, or conversely, been denied the visa because the
    > tax returns weren't notarized?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Heidi (attempting not to panic over yet another nitpicky point)
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Sioneva Jul 17th 2002 8:18 pm

If tax returns can't be notarized, how can they ask for it on the form, and how can other folks have had them notarized?

Anyhow, I've found a place where the guy says he can do it, so that's what I'll do.

Karib Jul 17th 2002 9:17 pm

Ok..at the risk of sounding extremely stupid but this is confusing me... :)

Ok, I have heard that u dont need tax returns for the K1,then I hear that u do, and that they must be notarized..

Do you have to physically take the tax returns to a notary and get them notarized, even though the USC isnt putting a signature to anything? Or do you take exact photocopies of tax returns and get them notarized? Or both???

Or can you get the copies notarised, and present them at the K1 interview, and have the original (un-notarized) tax returns handy with you in case they ask for them?

Sioneva Jul 17th 2002 9:55 pm

You need tax returns if you are self-employed, which my parents are. I'm including a copy of mine because I'm a student, and don't therefore have employer info, but this is probably overkill.

I don't know about the notarization thing, which is why I asked (and haven't yet gotten an answer about what's needed for the K1). I'm going to ask the notary to notarize copies of my tax return, as I don't have an original (filed online) and in any case, originals are supposed to be sent to the IRS (I thought!) to file taxes.

Anyway. I'm the USC, my fiance is from England, so he doesn't have to stress about this ;p

Johnson Pervis Jul 18th 2002 2:20 pm

For one, there is NO place on the forms to put the notary regalia. For two, there is
no reason to notarize something that has already been submitted and accepted by IRS.
I have no idea why the "form" asks for notarized tax returns. You'll be hard-pressed
to find a notary who will notarize tax returns.

--
    > If tax returns can't be notarized, how can they ask for it on the form, and how can
    > other folks have had them notarized?
    >
    > Anyhow, I've found a place where the guy says he can do it, so that's what I'll do.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Sioneva Jul 18th 2002 2:40 pm

Well, I managed to find a notary who would sign a statement I typed out stating that these were, indeed, true and exact copies of tax returns that I had submitted online for tax year 2001. That seems like the only reasonable thing that can be asked in relation to notarizing tax returns, since I can't exactly give them the originals!

If that's what I need, that's what I need, and no one's told me otherwise in certain enough terms for me to take a chance with it (in fact, Roger said that the tax returns he submitted with his application *were* notarized) ...and it was free through a notary who works at the university, so...*shrug* Whatever works

Johnson Pervis Jul 18th 2002 10:20 pm

I am glad you were able to get what you need.

--
    > Well, I managed to find a notary who would sign a statement I typed out stating
    > that these were, indeed, true and exact copies of tax returns that I had submitted
    > online for tax year 2001. That seems like the only reasonable thing that can be
    > asked in relation to notarizing tax returns, since I can't exactly give them the
    > originals!
    >
    > If that's what I need, that's what I need, and no one's told me otherwise in
    > certain enough terms for me to take a chance with it (in fact, Roger said that the
    > tax returns he submitted with his application *were* notarized) ...and it was free
    > through a notary who works at the university, so...*shrug* Whatever works
    >
    >
    >
    > --