Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i-130 and twins - citizenship and passports

i-130 and twins - citizenship and passports

Old Jul 29th 2018, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default i-130 and twins - citizenship and passports

Hi,

I am going through an i-130 and my wife who is a US citizen and myself who is a UK citizen have just had twins. Would they take this into consideration in terms of processing our application?

I also have a question with regard citizenship? Our twins born in the US are US citizens but the fact I as the Father am a UK citizen does this mean my kids are dual citizen? If so do I need to do anything like apply for a passport for them or register their birth over here?

Also as I am still working in the UK am I entitled to any tax savings for now being a Father of twins?

Sorry for the additional questions unrelated to this section but I'm sure someone may be able to offer their advice on this
Old Jul 29th 2018, 1:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i-130 and twins

Originally Posted by stu_blue
Hi,

I am going through an i-130 and my wife who is a US citizen and myself who is a UK citizen have just had twins. Would they take this into consideration in terms of processing our application?
No.

I also have a question with regard citizenship? Our twins born in the US are US citizens but the fact I as the Father am a UK citizen does this mean my kids are dual citizen?
Yes.

If so do I need to do anything like apply for a passport for them or register their birth over here?
Don't need to register the birth in the UK because they weren't born there. Eventually they should get UK passports (as well as US passports) if they're going to be traveling back and forth.

Also as I am still working in the UK am I entitled to any tax savings for now being a Father of twins?
UK tax savings? No idea on that one, sorry.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2018, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Stu on the birth of the twins. Boys? Girls? or one of each?

Your questions have nothing to do with your visa other than yes, it helps your cause and you should bring their birth certificates to the interview as proof of your ongoing marital relationship.

Post the rest of your questions in the USA forum for answers. And if you are able to confer British citizenship on your children then yes, your wife and you should register their birth with the UK Consulate in the US and apply for their UK passports as well as their US passpots.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Your questions have nothing to do with your visa other than yes, it helps your cause and you should bring their birth certificates to the interview as proof of your ongoing marital relationship.
Good advice to bring the twins' birth certificates to the interview. So yes, it helps strengthen the marital ties, but in case Stu was asking if it will speed up the process....no, it won't.

Post the rest of your questions in the USA forum for answers. And if you are able to confer British citizenship on your children then yes, your wife and you should register their birth with the UK Consulate in the US and apply for their UK passports as well as their US passpots.
I've moved this thread to the USA forum.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i-130 and twins - citizenship and passports

If you were born in the UK then your twins will be British citizens by descent. You optionally apply to have their births registered with the UK authorities. It's not necessary for them to receive British citizenship or be eligible for British passports but it's a good way to futureproof evidence of their British citizenship. More information is available on the wiki. You may also wish to consider obtaining their British passports. Getting them 'on the system' early on is again helpful to maintain evidence of their eligibility.

If the twins are in the US then you are unlikely to be eligible for Child Tax Credits; you may be eligible for Child Benefit.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu_blue
I can't see that will make much difference. How much sponsorship would it be for 4 kids and myself and my wife?

My wife has not worked full time for the past few years so she will not have earned enough money so we will have to pursue a different way.
deleted

deleted

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jul 30th 2018 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If your twins were born in the US (as I understand they were) then they don't need sponsoring. It is only you as the non US citizen.

To sponsor someone using income then your wife needs to be earning around 15K USD. If no income then US family or friends could be joint sponsors. They would need to be earning enough to cover the immigrant and their own household.

You mention 'for 4 kids' in your post - is that a typo error?

Assets can be used - 3 times the required income.
Yes the twins were born in the US.

In our family is my wife and her 2 kids (7 and 11) and now me and the 2 twins so in total 4 children and 2 adults.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved the off topic posts into the OP’s existing thread...

Question for form i-130