Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-130 approved, where next?

I-130 approved, where next?

Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of
Default I-130 approved, where next?

Hi Guys,

Hopefully you guys could put my mind at rest, as I thought I was clear on the process I was taking, though some doubts have arisen.

I am a British Citizen, living in the UK. My wife is a US citizen currently residing in California. We have filed an I-130 application (Petition for an Alien Relative), which has been approved. I am awaiting to recieve further correspondance from the USCIS.

I was under the impression that once the I-130 was approved, I will recieve an alien registration number, from which I could then file for adjustment with an I-485, however, upon reading the instructions for the I-485, I get the impression that this form is for Aliens who are already within the United States, for which I am not.

Could anyone verify whether I should be filing the I-485, or should i be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to read my latest crisis!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:37 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I-130 approved, where next?

Once your I-130 is approved it moves onto NVC.

As you are not in the country you are not eligible to file the I-485.

Your wife will hear from NVC wrt what is needed soon enough. She will be dealing with them for a lil while yet.

Take a butcher's here for a better understanding of the process.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Flyer is spot on. You might want to check out the US marriage-based visa forum here for past posts on this as well as asking questions there.

The I-130 might well have an A# on it. It might be listed over the beneficiary name (yours). The A# means nothing to you now.

You won't be doing an I-485. If you check out the US Consulate's website for London, it tells you there what you will need to do and what documentation you will need for the interview in London, i.e. police certificate (order that now as it takes time), a medical, long form birth certificate, military records if applicable, etc. Most of these things you can get together prior to hearing from them.

Rete

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Hi Guys,

Hopefully you guys could put my mind at rest, as I thought I was clear on the process I was taking, though some doubts have arisen.

I am a British Citizen, living in the UK. My wife is a US citizen currently residing in California. We have filed an I-130 application (Petition for an Alien Relative), which has been approved. I am awaiting to recieve further correspondance from the USCIS.

I was under the impression that once the I-130 was approved, I will recieve an alien registration number, from which I could then file for adjustment with an I-485, however, upon reading the instructions for the I-485, I get the impression that this form is for Aliens who are already within the United States, for which I am not.

Could anyone verify whether I should be filing the I-485, or should i be looking elsewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to read my latest crisis!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of

Thanks FlyergirlUK and Rete, i'm sure you can both apreciate the enormity of what my wife and I are going through at the moment so i really can't stress how valuable your contributions are!

No doubt I will be back at some point throughout this process, so i apologise in advance for burdening anyone with any issues i may have!!