British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I-130 approval cancels K-3 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-130-approval-cancels-k-3-a-112617/)

mrsstrickland Oct 10th 2002 8:57 am

I-130 approval cancels K-3

i just received an email this morning from the US embassy in London which states that because i have an approved I-130, this has cancelled my K-3 visa, and as long as i send my original approval i can open a provisional file, thanks to all who helped me through the K-3 wait, but at least i dont have to wait on MSC.

Rete Oct 10th 2002 10:29 am

Re: I-130 approval cancels K-3

Originally posted by mrsstrickland:
i just received an email this morning from the US embassy in London which states that because i have an approved I-130, this has cancelled my K-3 visa, and as long as i send my original approval i can open a provisional file, thanks to all who helped me through the K-3 wait, but at least i dont have to wait on MSC.

Sorry and happy for you all at once. What are you going to do now about the kid(s) ?

Rete

mrsstrickland Oct 10th 2002 11:06 am

i asked them that in my email, and they told me to fill in forms for each of the children, so im not quite sure what the deal is, but i wasnt planning on taking them straight away, cos we have to find a home and all first, they were to spend christmas in the UK so i am gonna have to deal with all this, but at least i know the K-3 is void, saves time waiting on MSC, and thanks for asking

Colin Frasi Oct 10th 2002 3:06 pm

My K3 is dead now to, my 1st NOA for the K3 was 31st May this year and i
still have not heard from them... my I-130 papers are in London..so the K3
was a complete waste of time and money, but maybe in the long run going this
route is better anyway...
Anne
"mrsstrickland" wrote in message
news:439123.1034240250@britishexpats-
.com
    > i just received an email this morning from the US embassy in London
    > which states that because i have an approved I-130, this has cancelled
    > my K-3 visa, and as long as i send my original approval i can open a
    > provisional file, thanks to all who helped me through the K-3 wait, but
    > at least i dont have to wait on MSC.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

bba1vol Oct 10th 2002 3:50 pm

how long did it take for you to get the i=130 our
receipt started out 175-225 days and now it is
500-600 days....we filed our may 10 th of this year... the wait is
killing us both we want to be
together and they just dont understand

mrsstrickland Oct 10th 2002 5:25 pm

my I-130 1st NOA was 04/08/2002 approval date 08/14.2002 through TSC

bba1vol Oct 10th 2002 6:21 pm

so am i reading this correct you got approved from texas this
year......so it may be possible
that we may get approved from texas as well
soon. not hardly a month ahead of us.....please write to me
thank you
brenda ballard

Rete Oct 10th 2002 6:22 pm

Originally posted by bba1vol:
how long did it take for you to get the i=130 our
receipt started out 175-225 days and now it is
500-600 days....we filed our may 10 th of this year... the wait is
killing us both we want to be
together and they just dont understand

Assuming your wording of your post is a little off kilter, you have only been waiting approximately 150 days since May 10th for the approval of your I-130. Therefore, you are still below the minimal waiting time as per your original notice of action.

I take it you meant that the service center you are using has upped their timeline to 500-600 days from the original 175-225 days on the notice sent to you.

What makes you think that you will fall within the 500-600 days wait time? Perhaps your I-130 will be approved within the timeline originally given you.

As for INS understanding, it is not their concern to understand your emotional difficulties or wants and dreams. It might sound harsh but it is true. Government agencies are not suppose to be run on sympathy.

Here's hoping you hear something soon. BTW if you are in Canada rather than the UK, your wait is going to be longer still because of the intervention of the NVC.

Rete

amys Oct 10th 2002 6:29 pm

I thought that you also have to have a k3 approval from ins along with I130. So this means you can get a visa without having to apply for k3. I don't know much about k3 cause i am working on k1 now. I would have done k3 if i knew this was going to be a long wait.

amy

Colin Frasi Oct 10th 2002 9:36 pm

Our I-130 was filed just before Bin Laden hit the twin towers so it got
delayed and we had to submit another marriage license as we sent the wrong
one so that delayed us too, but it was Aug 10th 2001...

wrote in message
news:11236-3D-
[email protected]
    > how long did it take for you to get the i=130 our
    > receipt started out 175-225 days and now it is
    > 500-600 days....we filed our may 10 th of this year... the wait is
    > killing us both we want to be
    > together and they just dont understand

Mjones Oct 11th 2002 1:21 pm

Please let us know what happens here. What has happened is not in accordance
to the methods that were laid out for the K3/K4. In these cases, the
approvals for the I-130 were supposed to be retained by INS.
If it was just yourself involved, this would not seem to be such a big deal,
but there are children involved for whom there was no I-130 filed.
If it was your initial intention to come over as K3/K4, you might want to
contact London and tell them this. There may be a misunderstanding involved.
You should not be obligated to Consular processing.
I do not think you should leave things as "im not quite sure what the deal
is". You need to find out what the deal is.
Mike

"mrsstrickland" wrote in message
news:439176.1034248004@britishexpats-
.com
    > i asked them that in my email, and they told me to fill in forms for
    > each of the children, so im not quite sure what the deal is, but i wasnt
    > planning on taking them straight away, cos we have to find a home and
    > all first, they were to spend christmas in the UK so i am gonna have to
    > deal with all this, but at least i know the K-3 is void, saves time
    > waiting on MSC, and thanks for asking
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

mrsstrickland Oct 11th 2002 1:53 pm

i have contacted london with regards to this question, and they told me to file a seperate DS-230 for each of my children, i couldnt get anything more specific from them, apart from they will have to attend the interview, my children will not be flying out with me immediately, it will be at least 1-2 months, and im not just waiting to see what happens, that was just a phrase i used at the time of writing, but they have asked for my childrens documents and all, so i will consult them more on this issue,

bba1vol Oct 11th 2002 9:35 pm

please give timeline of you I 130 and where you
filed it...

bba1vol Oct 11th 2002 9:45 pm

what is BTW

Matthew Udall Oct 12th 2002 12:13 am

Hmm, interesting report.

I recall posting a number of times over the past year or so, information that I heard from an AILA expert during her lecture at an AILA conference (either June 2001 in Boston, or June 2000 in Seattle... think it was the one in Boston) at a time when the K-3 was still a proposal and had not come on line yet. She had contacted the DOS and found out from them that once the Consulate received word that an I-130 had been approved, they would refuse to continue processing the K-3 visa. Again, this is what she was told from the DOS at a time when the K-3 wasn't even on line yet (and I seem to recall her saying that since I-130's really are not taking "that" long now, that she doubted any of us AILA members would ever be called upon to do a K-3 case [and I've not been called upon to do one so far]).

Since that time, I seem to recall reports from do-it-yourselfers that seemed to contradict what the DOS had told the AILA expert, or that they simply reversed their policy in that regard (that they "would" continue to process a K-3 visa even when they hear that an approved I-130 will be arriving to the Consulate soon).

Your report is the first one I've heard that seems to indicate that they either have once again reversed their policy in this regard, or that the policy the AILA expert mentioned a year or so ago has indeed been the policy all along.

Good luck with your case, and resolving the I-130 issued for the kids.

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm