Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-130 APPLICATION: NO US ADDRESS YET

I-130 APPLICATION: NO US ADDRESS YET

Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brodders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 APPLICATION: NO US ADDRESS YET

Hi, I'm new here and I find all the information in your forum very helpful!
I am a US citizen (by birth) although I've lived outside the US most of my life. I intend submitting I-130 petitions for my husband and children in the next few months, but I was wondering whether the fact that I've been living outside the US since the age of 3 would in any way affect the application? I have a US passport and I applied for a social security number (through the US embassy in London) which I received last year in September, so in principle I can't see any reason why I should be worried, but I note that some of the forms (like the DS 230) ask for a US address which we don't have yet.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 APPLICATION: NO US ADDRESS YET

Originally Posted by Brodders
I was wondering whether the fact that I've been living outside the US since the age of 3 would in any way affect the application?
Yes, it might. You have to demonstrate "domicile" (which apparently, is different from "reside") or the intent to domicile. You have to demonstrate that you have ties to the US immediately prior to your family entering the US... stuff such as making arrangements for the kids to go to a US school, perhaps job interviews you've been on, filing (which is different than paying) US taxes each year as you are required by law to do... yes, even though you don't live or work in the US. This sort of stuff establishes your intent to domicile in the US. Further, you will need to have sufficient income/assets to support your family or have a joint sponsor who can. You've got a lot of research to do... but it can and has been done successfully by many.

I note that some of the forms (like the DS 230) ask for a US address which we don't have yet.
It's okay to put "unknown as yet" when it asks stuff like that.

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Brodders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, it might. You have to demonstrate "domicile" (which apparently, is different from "reside") or the intent to domicile. You have to demonstrate that you have ties to the US immediately prior to your family entering the US... stuff such as making arrangements for the kids to go to a US school, perhaps job interviews you've been on, filing (which is different than paying) US taxes each year as you are required by law to do... yes, even though you don't live or work in the US. This sort of stuff establishes your intent to domicile in the US. Further, you will need to have sufficient income/assets to support your family or have a joint sponsor who can. You've got a lot of research to do... but it can and has been done successfully by many.

It's okay to put "unknown as yet" when it asks stuff like that.

Ian
Thanks. Yes I recently heard that I am supposed to be submitting tax returns each year, so I've just sent in returns for the last 3 years. And I will also be able to show sufficient assets to support my family. We have the intention to stay there permanently once we have their visas, but it will probably be difficult to show that intention, as I'll be doing contract work from home (so I won't have any job interviews lined up) and as far as I know I can't enrol the kids in a school until we have an address, etc. so it's a bit of a catch-22 situation!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodders
Thanks. Yes I recently heard that I am supposed to be submitting tax returns each year, so I've just sent in returns for the last 3 years. And I will also be able to show sufficient assets to support my family. We have the intention to stay there permanently once we have their visas, but it will probably be difficult to show that intention, as I'll be doing contract work from home (so I won't have any job interviews lined up) and as far as I know I can't enrol the kids in a school until we have an address, etc. so it's a bit of a catch-22 situation!
Thread Closed - Duplicate Posting

Rete