British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hypothetical Q about access to Medicare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hypothetical-q-about-access-medicare-764049/)

Bluegrass Lass Jul 5th 2012 7:28 pm

Hypothetical Q about access to Medicare

We have a hypothetical question about Medicare. It does assume that rules will be the same in the future as they are now, which who knows what they might be.

OH and I are considering a move back to the UK. If that happens, it will be sometime early next year. By then, I'm pretty sure he'll have about 36quarters of work. He's also a USC, and has been since 2008.

If we decided to return to the US down the road, say closer to retirement age, would he be eligible for Medicare? I know he'd have to work another year or two, just to make sure he had 40 quarters of work and therefore qualifies for Social Security. I'm just not sure about the Medicare situation. For that matter, I guess I should ask if I would also qualify for Medicare? :unsure:

Thanks!

Nutmegger Jul 5th 2012 7:42 pm

Re: Hypothetical Q about access to Medicare

Have you tried the Medicare Eligibility Tool at medicare.gov?

Bluegrass Lass Jul 5th 2012 7:45 pm

Nope, never knew there was such a tool. Since we're in our mid 30's now, I haven't really had to research to much about medicare as yet.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

lansbury Jul 5th 2012 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10156892)
Nope, never knew there was such a tool. Since we're in our mid 30's now, I haven't really had to research to much about medicare as yet.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

If he doesn't and you are a US citizen who qualified for medicare, under the current rules he would be eligible from you.

Next April I shall be eligible for medicare under my wife's payments. I have never worked in the US.

Bluegrass Lass Jul 5th 2012 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10157096)
Next April I shall be eligible for medicare under my wife's payments. I have never worked in the US.

Ahhh..I see. Thanks for the info. Aren't you a Councilman? Don't you receive a salary for that position?

lansbury Jul 6th 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10157168)
Ahhh..I see. Thanks for the info. Aren't you a Councilman? Don't you receive a salary for that position?

I am and the City pays a stipend of $250 a month. I tend to forget that, but a small Medicare payment is deducted from the stipend.

But I can claim on my wife's account.

Bomjeito Jul 6th 2012 12:24 am

Kindly correct me if I'm wrong, but does not the immigrant need to be in the USA for five years to claim on the USC spouse's Medicare? Or does becoming a USC trump that requirement?

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2012 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10156881)
We have a hypothetical question about Medicare. It does assume that rules will be the same in the future as they are now, which who knows what they might be.

OH and I are considering a move back to the UK. If that happens, it will be sometime early next year. By then, I'm pretty sure he'll have about 36quarters of work. He's also a USC, and has been since 2008.

If we decided to return to the US down the road, say closer to retirement age, would he be eligible for Medicare? I know he'd have to work another year or two, just to make sure he had 40 quarters of work and therefore qualifies for Social Security. I'm just not sure about the Medicare situation. For that matter, I guess I should ask if I would also qualify for Medicare? :unsure:

Thanks!

If you were a Brit you would certainly come under the Ping Pong Pom category. :eek:

Bluegrass Lass Jul 6th 2012 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Bomjeito (Post 10157216)
Kindly correct me if I'm wrong, but does not the immigrant need to be in the USA for five years to claim on the USC spouse's Medicare? Or does becoming a USC trump that requirement?

He's already been in the US since 2004, so about 8yrs currently - by next year that would be about 9 years working. Unless you mean in the country for 5yrs immediately preceding qualifying for Medicare?

JG, if only you knew about how much Ping Ponging we've had on a decision about this lately! :nod::nod::nod: I just don't think we were adequately prepared last time. This time, it's going to be a lot more thought out, if we do go.

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10157468)
He's already been in the US since 2004, so about 8yrs currently - by next year that would be about 9 years working. Unless you mean in the country for 5yrs immediately preceding qualifying for Medicare?

JG, if only you knew about how much Ping Ponging we've had on a decision about this lately! :nod::nod::nod: I just don't think we were adequately prepared last time. This time, it's going to be a lot more thought out, if we do go.

I hope it works out for you...whether you decide to give the UK another try or not. :fingerscrossed:

Steve_ Jul 6th 2012 4:54 pm

All US citizens qualify for Medicare, period. The question is whether you have to pay for it. If you haven't met the 40 quarters requirement, you have to pay a premium.

What I always find really unfair about FICA is that you can be in the US for a pretty long time working, paying FICA, but you derive no benefit at all from it unless you meet the 40 quarters requirement.

Even then, you'll probably only get Social Security. Because say you were E-2 (or something else that you can make go more than ten years, e.g. O-1 or TN-1), you worked in the US for 10+ years, then you retire. As soon as you retire you lose your status so you have to leave, so no Medicare.

In Canada if you work here for a single year, you can claim CPP. Won't be worth much but you can claim it. In the UK, if you work in the UK for three or more years not only can you claim the benefit but you can carry on making voluntary contributions and receive the full benefit!

Sally Redux Jul 6th 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10158448)
I hope it works out for you...whether you decide to give the UK another try or not. :fingerscrossed:

Yes same here BL.

lansbury Jul 6th 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10158477)
All US citizens qualify for Medicare, period. The question is whether you have to pay for it. If you haven't met the 40 quarters requirement, you have to pay a premium.

Not entirely correct. You can get free medicare claiming from your spouses entitlement. Providing they are entitled to free medicare.

SanDiegogirl Jul 6th 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10158486)
Not entirely correct. You can get free medicare claiming from your spouses entitlement. Providing they are entitled to free medicare.

Hi, but its not free is it? Part B needs to be paid for (currently around 99 bucks a month), then there is Part D for prescriptions and if you don't want to pay for deductibles then you take out an Advantage plan or a Medigap plan.

My husband's costs (because Part D is also income related so he pays more than the 99 bucks a month) are currently running at over 400 a month with his Medigap plan/Part D - only about 20% less than his private individual policy was.

Rete Jul 6th 2012 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10158477)

You have to pay a premium even if you have worked 40 quarters. Either way you are paying for it.

Medicare is NOT free. A retired person during social security benefits pays monthly for medicare. My husband and my girlfriend both pay $109 a month.