Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Katrina and Racism - Real or Imagined.

Hurricane Katrina and Racism - Real or Imagined.

Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:22 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Katrina and Racism - Real or Imagined.

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
What about 50 middle class people who have just lost their home, all its contents and their jobs?
Typical British response, this is america, there is no class system - just the rich and poor. Dont you know nowt
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patrick
Typical British response, this is america, there is no class system - just the rich and poor. Dont you know nowt
Actually I would imagine the majority of the people around where I live are neither rich nor poor. They all have average jobs with a mortgage on an averagely nice home. This is - in British terms - a distinctly middle class area.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 3:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I put this in the TIO thread on the same subject. As I said there, there is no simplistic explanation of what happened in New Orleans. Here is some interesting reading though.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/revie...686412,00.html
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:38 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually I would imagine the majority of the people around where I live are neither rich nor poor. They all have average jobs with a mortgage on an averagely nice home. This is - in British terms - a distinctly middle class area.
How long have you been in America, the Irony is always the first thing to go. Either that or your really dumb and thought I was actually suggesting there is no middle class in america.

Last edited by Patrick; Jan 15th 2006 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patrick
How long have you been in America, the Irony is always the first thing to go. Either that or your really dumb and thought I was actually suggesting there is no middle class in america.

Perhaps i'm just one of those simple sourthern (middle class) folks.