Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Irene!!??

Hurricane Irene!!??

Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

JennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really nice
Default Hurricane Irene!!??

So, of course after planning, waiting, and biting our nails for the last 8 months...my husband is due to fly into DC tomorrow. Right as the hurricane hits.

I am so upset...if his flight gets re-routed, does he have to go through immigration wherever they land first? If thats the case, how will he get to a connecting flight? Who knows how long immigration will take.

Ugh, of course this happened to us!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irene!!??

Originally Posted by JennaB
So, of course after planning, waiting, and biting our nails for the last 8 months...my husband is due to fly into DC tomorrow. Right as the hurricane hits.

I am so upset...if his flight gets re-routed, does he have to go through immigration wherever they land first?
Yes. Or his flight might be cancelled or delayed. Severe weather messes with the schedules. The plane he was supposed to go on may not get out to be in the UK for his flight. There's a domino effect when certain airports shut down.

If thats the case, how will he get to a connecting flight? Who knows how long immigration will take.
The airlines will figure out how to eventually get him to the destination on his ticket. Immigration at a new city could go faster than DC. That's not an issue really.

Come on! You can handle a day's delay. Deal with it. Not the first or last disappoint you'll experience in life.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it.

The flight will probably be cancelled anyway.

What will be will be, just means he'll have more time to have a drink in a bar.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:25 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I am so upset...if his flight gets re-routed, does he have to go through immigration wherever they land first? If thats the case, how will he get to a connecting flight? Who knows how long immigration will take.

Of course Irene came along just to spoil your day. I'm sure there will be many more people with more right to be upset when their homes are damaged, business destroyed or their loved ones are killed. Get some perspective

Stay safe everyone.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes things happen that are beyond your control Jenna. You're just going to have to figure out the work around, and accept that your husband is delayed in arriving.

That just gives you more time to prepare for the special reunion! Get those candles and champagne, etc.!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My SO called and said Irene was heading her way, momentary confusion as this is also the sisters name.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Any updates folks? I just heard on another blog that over 100,000 homes have lost power.

Stay safe everybody!!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Any updates folks? I just heard on another blog that over 100,000 homes have lost power.

Stay safe everybody!!
This seems to be the main thread about Irene. News this morning is that she is getting weaker.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

No flights on the east coast after 12 noon today. Maybe start flying on Monday.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...522153004.html
Old Aug 27th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Keith
No flights on the east coast after 12 noon today. Maybe start flying on Monday.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...522153004.html
theres a flight from manchester uk to philly that lands after that it lands at 2 and its enroute
Old Aug 27th 2011, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Answering your question without judgment, your husband goes through secondary in whichever airport in the US or Canada (depending, of course, there is an office there) (Canadians are usually pre-cleared by US Customs before boarding in Canada). He can then take any domestic flight that he needs to complete his journey. I

Asking about the timeline for clearance is like asking about the length of string. Depends on the number of agents working, the number of people to be processed, etc.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by redarmy990
theres a flight from manchester uk to philly that lands after that it lands at 2 and its enroute
It will most likely get re-routed, perhaps to Toronto.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
It will most likely get re-routed, perhaps to Toronto.
Wish I was in T.O. right now.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it is all going to be so much hot air.

Must be going past Washington.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My home was in a mandatory evacuation zone along the Chesapeake Bay. All of my neighbors had to leave so I'm not sure if my house is still standing or what. Will find out in the morning when someone goes to take a look at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.