Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hurrah! Moving to the good ol US of A!

Hurrah! Moving to the good ol US of A!

Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hurrah! Moving to the good ol US of A!

Hello and welcome! I am in Calabasas so feel free to contact me. I took my test in Thousand Oaks with no probs - and I was panic-stricken a the thought of it but it was fine.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:13 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Live in snowbirdland. Common occurence here I'd say
Is that like bluehairland
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
It’s an old lady trick world wide. Where in Cinci do you live? I Have folk in South Lebanon.
Hi there - Lebanon isn't too far away from us. It's a beautiful town. We went there when our family was in town a few weeks ago and ate at the Golden Lamb. Have you been there?

We live in Blue Ash - near the Kenwood shopping center (don't know if you know where that is or not - but that's the landmark I usually give people)
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:03 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid
Mornin'

Just like to say fab site...after spending a few weeks searching for a site that was informative and helpful, this site is a blessing. (Man! there's a huge amount of cr*p out there on t'interweb!!) I'm moving out to Ventura County, CA in Oct this year - Hurrah! Only thing i'm not looking forward to is taking my driving test, should be easy peasy though right? straight roads, no roundabouts (turnabouts) you can turn right on red lights - does anyone know if you have to take a written test too?

Many thanks
Welcome to BE and good luck.........
Do you have your "val" inflexions perfected?
Required orientation for "life in Cali 101" is watching: LA Story, Colors, California Suite, Crash (not the Canadian version) and Predator 2 (optional credit)

Dont worry about the driving test - I failed mine 4 times in the UK.........passes 1st time in Cali. Even took a corner at 25mph........
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Hi there - Lebanon isn't too far away from us. It's a beautiful town. We went there when our family was in town a few weeks ago and ate at the Golden Lamb. Have you been there?

We live in Blue Ash - near the Kenwood shopping center (don't know if you know where that is or not - but that's the landmark I usually give people)
“The Golden Lamb” hummmmm….I just don’t know. Not that I remember. My parent moved there and I am not totally familiar with the surroundings. Guess I’ll do a goggle.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:57 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Is that like bluehairland
Yeah. There are grocery stores around where the average age must be well into the 70's. I feel like a baby when I go in there
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Yeah. There are grocery stores around where the average age must be well into the 70's. I feel like a baby when I go in there
Your not a day over 29 to me.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:08 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Your not a day over 29 to me.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

“The Golden Lamb” hummmmm….I just don’t know. Not that I remember. My parent moved there and I am not totally familiar with the surroundings. Guess I’ll do a goggle.
I think it's the oldest hotel which has been continually running in the U.S. (or something like that) Their lamb (if you like lamb) is served with a mint chutney and is quite good. Actually - the food in general was pretty good, more like home cooking. It's a landmark in Lebanon - check it out the next time you're there, but don't be surprised if you're by far the youngest there. I'm sure it would come up in a Google search.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I think it's the oldest hotel which has been continually running in the U.S. (or something like that) Their lamb (if you like lamb) is served with a mint chutney and is quite good. Actually - the food in general was pretty good, more like home cooking. It's a landmark in Lebanon - check it out the next time you're there, but don't be surprised if you're by far the youngest there. I'm sure it would come up in a Google search.
I like lamb & I like chutney (I like anything that used to breath with chutney). I’ll have to go next time I visit. So you go to Jungle Jims I guess. That place ROCKS!!! I can’t get out of there with out spending $$$$$$$$$$$ and that’s just on booze. (OHHH and the cheese)
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:39 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I've eaten at The Golden Lamb....quite an old fashioned and historical (as we Yanks go, established 1803) place. I'm glad we made the drive, though, from Cincinnati.

http://www.goldenlamb.com/

I think I even still have a matchbook from the place.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Ariel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to all

Lol you guys are too funny!
Thanks very much for the feedback, I guess i'm not too concerned about the actual driving..it's the theory but as they only have about 3 different road signs it's should be easy, compared to the 3 billion different one's we have in the UK. I just need to swot up on the alkihole limits as they're pretty hot on you knowing that.
Jughandles sound horrible.... we don't have them on the West Coast (I've certainly never seen them) and thanks for the link.

Sally, you are practically down the street..it's not you that drives the car with the West Ham Utd plate is it?? :-)

To the person who asked the RD Q (sorry... little brain too much info)- i'll ask my BiL and see if he can get updates as he hangs out with the bloke that wrote it......
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like lamb & I like chutney (I like anything that used to breath with chutney). I’ll have to go next time I visit. So you go to Jungle Jims I guess. That place ROCKS!!! I can’t get out of there with out spending $$$$$$$$$$$ and that’s just on booze. (OHHH and the cheese)

Okay - now I'm questioning myself and wondering if it wasn't more of a mint jelly - don't hold it against me if you go and my memory was wrong - it's still good! Jungle Jim's is crazy isn't it? Kind of like a theme park and grocery store all in one. I don't when when the last time you went was, but they're making it even bigger and even crazier! I can see how you'd spend a lot in wine - they have one of the best collections in this area I believe.

http://www.junglejims.com/

I always wonder how they can afford to store so many different kinds of foods - I don't even recognize most of the vegatables in the Asian section!

Unfortunately we don't get there as often as I'd like - it doesn't seem like it would be that far, but it's so far north that it takes us close to 40 minutes to get there. That's too far for routine shopping. It is fun though - and whenever I feel as though there isn't much diversity in Cincinnati - all you have to do is go to Jungle Jim's!

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Jul 13th 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I've eaten at The Golden Lamb....quite an old fashioned and historical (as we Yanks go, established 1803) place. I'm glad we made the drive, though, from Cincinnati.

http://www.goldenlamb.com/

I think I even still have a matchbook from the place.
That's neat! I just went for the first time about a month ago but was thinking Lebanon might be a fun place to go for a weekend - you could look at the antiques and old homes during the day, and eat and stay at the Golden Lamb at night. They also had a German restaurant which looked quite good (or maybe I was just hungry).
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid
To the person who asked the RD Q (sorry... little brain too much info)- i'll ask my BiL and see if he can get updates as he hangs out with the bloke that wrote it......
"Oh, spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!" That would be great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.