British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hurrah! Moving to the good ol US of A! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hurrah-moving-good-ol-us-465604/)

Ariel the Mermaid Jul 12th 2007 12:07 pm

Hurrah! Moving to the good ol US of A!

Mornin'

Just like to say fab site...after spending a few weeks searching for a site that was informative and helpful, this site is a blessing. (Man! there's a huge amount of cr*p out there on t'interweb!!) I'm moving out to Ventura County, CA in Oct this year - Hurrah! Only thing i'm not looking forward to is taking my driving test, should be easy peasy though right? straight roads, no roundabouts (turnabouts) you can turn right on red lights - does anyone know if you have to take a written test too?

Many thanks :p

another bloody yank Jul 12th 2007 12:13 pm

Re: Hurrah! Moving to the good ol US of A!

Welcome!

Yep usually a "written" test and then practical. And if the driving test is all you're worried about, you're doing great!

Jerseygirl Jul 12th 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid (Post 5044847)
Mornin'

Just like to say fab site...after spending a few weeks searching for a site that was informative and helpful, this site is a blessing. (Man! there's a huge amount of cr*p out there on t'interweb!!) I'm moving out to Ventura County, CA in Oct this year - Hurrah! Only thing i'm not looking forward to is taking my driving test, should be easy peasy though right? straight roads, no roundabouts (turnabouts) you can turn right on red lights - does anyone know if you have to take a written test too?

Hello and welcome to BE. :)

We do have a few roundabouts in NJ...we call them circles this side of the pond.

Ariel the Mermaid Jul 12th 2007 12:24 pm

LOL - thanks.
I guess because i've been to-ing and fro-ing for the last 4 years, it feels like I already live in the US. I already have house/car so Sept/Oct is just moving the rest of my stuff out and finalising the final final move. But then I've been saying that for the last year.....but I sold my house in the UK, so I guess now i'm finally ready...I'll start swotting up on the highway code then :-)

andy1 Jul 12th 2007 12:34 pm

hi ,usually multiple choice test with pictures,eye test and driving test . so easy ,hence the poor standard of driving in the U.S. ! make sure your car is in order ,i mean no cracked windshield ,all winkers working etc ,and no photocopies of insurance allowed,only original docs ,bit like immigration!!:thumbup:

Ariel the Mermaid Jul 12th 2007 12:41 pm

Great, thanks very much for the feedback.
This site is such a great distraction! :thumbsup: beats doing that work thing!

TouristTrap Jul 12th 2007 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid (Post 5044977)
Great, thanks very much for the feedback.
This site is such a great distraction! :thumbsup: beats doing that work thing!

Tell me about it ;)

Welcome to BE :)

Texas Mom Jul 12th 2007 12:55 pm

Welcome to BE, good luck with the move, hope it all goes well.

DollyLlama Jul 12th 2007 1:45 pm

Hello and welcome to BE :)

Kaffy Mintcake Jul 12th 2007 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid (Post 5044847)
Mornin'

In some areas parallel parking is part of the driving test as well. This may be no big deal to you, but I live in an area where it's rarely necessary and I've always struggled with this. Just a heads up. Best of luck to you in your move!

Ariel the Mermaid Jul 12th 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks very much for your Welcome notes, I have just spent like, 3 hours surfing this forum... it's really great.... I have to do some work now though...

Byeeeeee for now

Ariel the Mermaid Jul 12th 2007 1:57 pm

Parallel parking?!!! Is that like, reverse parking? if I can't get into a space forwards...I park elsewhere..although in Thousand Oaks there is nowhere to perform this marvellous feat of parking (that i'm aware of) just luffly straight\fishbone parking bays or onstreet 10 minute at the kerb jobbies. Maybe I should think about a few lessons..... :-)

limeynus Jul 12th 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid (Post 5045276)
Parallel parking?!!! Is that like, reverse parking? if I can't get into a space forwards...I park elsewhere..although in Thousand Oaks there is nowhere to perform this marvellous feat of parking (that i'm aware of) just luffly straight\fishbone parking bays or onstreet 10 minute at the kerb jobbies. Maybe I should think about a few lessons..... :-)

Hi Ariel!

Welcome to BE I wouldn't worry about taking lessons you won't need 'em your practical will be 10 mins driving around the block. At least mine was but that was back in 89 - my instructor even made me pull over - coz I was "passing" the wheel through my hands like taught in the UK and he said "we don't drive like that over here! If you continue you'll fail" So I stopped and I passed first time!

Good luck!

anotherlimey Jul 12th 2007 2:04 pm

Welcome to BE.

We all make fun of the easy driving test, but if I recall correctly, someone on here did fail it once. :eek:

Ariel the Mermaid Jul 12th 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5045292)
Welcome to BE.

We all make fun of the easy driving test, but if I recall correctly, someone on here did fail it once. :eek:

Thanks peeps.
anotherlimey - LOL! @Ace Rimmer, I have his flight jacket...soz gunna boast now, but I loved that programme and was fortunate that one of my family members worked on the programme.... I managed to um 'scrounge' a few items :-)