Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hundreds of foreign students walk off jobs at Hershey plant

Hundreds of foreign students walk off jobs at Hershey plant

Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:02 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hundreds of foreign students walk off jobs at Hershey plant

Are they crazy? With everyone out of work they just up and quit?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...214310205.html

"The J-1 visa program brings foreign students to the country to work for two months and learn English, and was designed in part to fill seasonal tourism jobs at resorts and seaside towns. The 400 students employed at a Pennsylvania factory that makes Hershey's candies told The New York Times that even though they make $8.35 an hour, their rent and program fees are deducted from their paychecks, leaving them with less money than they spent to get the visas and travel to the country in the first place."
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hundreds of foreign students walk off jobs at Hershey plant

Probably their action was more of a comment on the poor quality of the chocolate than on the low pay situation. If they'd been working in a bacon factory, they would have walked out in protest even earlier.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post

"The J-1 visa program brings foreign students to the country to work for two months and learn English, and was designed in part to fill seasonal tourism jobs at resorts and seaside towns. The 400 students employed at a Pennsylvania factory that makes Hershey's candies told The New York Times that even though they make $8.35 an hour, their rent and program fees are deducted from their paychecks, leaving them with less money than they spent to get the visas and travel to the country in the first place."
And to add insult to injury they are working with the most vile chocolate ever made.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:24 pm
Banned

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post

Good on them. This is nothing but exploitation and slave labour under another name.

Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
And to add insult to injury they are working with the most vile chocolate ever made.
You mean they never tasted it before they went to work there??

On a serious note, if what CNN reported is true , I don't blame them. But, at $8.35 @hour, seems like they're getting a truer picture of what living in the US is really like for minimum wage workers. That's certainly not to say Hershey's is right - but maybe the students' expectations were too high??
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:29 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Hershey's said they didn't hire the students when the Times asked:

A spokesman for Hershey's, Kirk Saville, said the chocolate company did not directly operate the Palmyra packing plant, which is managed by a company called Exel. A spokeswoman for Exel said it had found the student workers through another staffing company.

That is corporate culture for you ... keep everything at arm's length so that you are not accountable and yet, get tax benefits from it too whilst generally shafting people. Money makes the world go around but its greed which exploits it.

Outsourcing doesn't automatically mean sending jobs overseas... you just legally import captive labor under the disguise of the J-1 program. Human trafficking under free enterprise. Businesses save about 8 percent by using a foreign worker because of Social Security and other taxes they do not have to pay.

Lipstick on a corporate pig....
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 View Post

That is corporate culture for you ... keep everything at arm's length so that you are not accountable and yet, get tax benefits from it too whilst generally shafting people. Money makes the world go around but its greed which exploits it.

Reminds me of that chapter in George Orwell's Down and out in Paris and London when he states that waiters who are underpaid or otherwise exploited at work ALWAYS spit in your food before serving it up... maybe that accounts for the off flavor of Hersheys chocolate?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Reminds me of that chapter in George Orwell's Down and out in Paris and London when he states that waiters who are underpaid or otherwise exploited at work ALWAYS spit in your food before serving it up... maybe that accounts for the off flavor of Hersheys chocolate?
Oh my GAWD! Usually stick to Hershey's Kisses - don't think I'll ever be able to eat anything of Hershey's again without thinking of this! Thanks a lot!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:49 pm
Banned

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress View Post
don't think I'll ever be able to eat anything of Hershey's again
A definite bonus!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress View Post
Oh my GAWD! Usually stick to Hershey's Kisses - don't think I'll ever be able to eat anything of Hershey's again without thinking of this! Thanks a lot!!!!
Oh God I feel terrible! Sorry!!
Here's some real chocolate to make you feel better.

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
A definite bonus!
Not when you can't get REAL Cadbury's anymore - closest we can come to it is some of the chocolate we get at Aldi that comes from Germany, of all places.!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Oh God I feel terrible! Sorry!!
Here's some real chocolate to make you feel better.

http://mommosttraveled.com/wp-conten...ittersport.jpg
Oh, sir, you're too kind! However, my OH says he fed me some of this stuff years ago and I claimed it was "too bitter". I don't remember it, but I'll take his word for it as his memory is waaaay better than mine! Guess I'll have to wait 'til we go across the pond and then gorge myself. But then again, now that the "mad cow disease" scare is over, maybe we can bring some back?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

After lots of sampling, I can say that it's not American chocolate that is bad, it is Hershey's chocolate that is bad. And boy, it's bad, with an awful aftertaste that refuses to leave.

I did temp office work in a Tesco warehouse in the UK. 95% of the workers were Korean students from the nearby university.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
After lots of sampling, I can say that it's not American chocolate that is bad, it is Hershey's chocolate that is bad. And boy, it's bad, with an awful aftertaste that refuses to leave.

I did temp office work in a Tesco warehouse in the UK. 95% of the workers were Korean students from the nearby university.
Yeah, some of Nestle's stuff isn't bad - nor the M&M/Mars products. I worked for M&M/Mars a long time ago and learned to respect their chocolate-making, even if I wasn't crazy about it. Maybe there's some hope for Cadbury's since the buy-out - Wasn't it Kraft that bought them and don't they also own Nestle?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Dagoba