British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hubby-finally-got-called-jury-duty-636847/)

Rete Oct 22nd 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 8036846)
Hi Jersey, mine was also County Court, but good only for 1 year. Whoopee, got paid $30.

Reg. Frank R.

If I'm remembering correctly (and that is up for discussion), federal court is a waiver of 5 years from the serving date. It was 3 years for the State of New York and 1 year for the County Court.

SpoogleDrummer Oct 22nd 2009 4:24 pm

I've seen a few times where people have been called stupid for not being able to come up with an excuse to get out of jury duty, is it really that bad that people would rather go to work? If so where can I find a list of valid excuses should I ever be called up :p

frrussre Oct 22nd 2009 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8036850)
If I'm remembering correctly (and that is up for discussion), federal court is a waiver of 5 years from the serving date. It was 3 years for the State of New York and 1 year for the County Court.

Here in Broward County Fl county Court, the judge said "See you all in 1 year". I will need to Google & check the other times.

When we lived in NYC, my wife did Fed Grand Jury for one month (Whole of August, son was on school vacation) I seem to remember that being good for 3 more years. As a Nurse, she always had a waiver, but due to so many people having excuses, they changed the law. I remember even the Mayor & Governor got called.

Reg. Frank R.

frrussre Oct 22nd 2009 5:51 pm

http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org

"In Broward County, you are selected for Jury Service from a Florida Driver License Database of US citizens who are residents of Broward County and are 18 years of age or older.

Jury Service is based on:
"ONE TRIAL OR ONE DAY".

This means your service is required for
the duration of one trial or that you are available
for service for one entire day.

You may only serve as a juror once in a calendar year."

Some States or Counties, service could be for 2 weeks (???), which means if you have a short trials, you keep sitting on another, for a total of 2 weeks.

It also appears (so many States, so many Counties, so many bloody rules), if you get called to Federal jury duty, your county will, give you a waiver, but Federal will not give a waiver, because you served for County. :eek:

Reg. Frank R.

Tarkak9 Oct 22nd 2009 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8033426)
DH became a USC in 2003. Last night in the mail was his summons to jury duty at the Federal Court in lower Manhattan.

He is happy but not happy when he learned that if he is selected to grand jury that he will have to serve for more than two weeks.

But he is looking forward to the experience. I wonder if the court knows what it is in for.

BTW no cell phones, laptops, blackberries, etc. are allowed.

somebody knows what its all about as a trail date would be set after all the prelim's etc. How far out is the court date? there could be a change of being sequestered by the sounds of it. Maybe its one of the Wall St shitey thingys!

frrussre Oct 22nd 2009 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 8037377)
somebody knows what its all about as a trail date would be set after all the prelim's etc. How far out is the court date? there could be a change of being sequestered by the sounds of it. Maybe its one of the Wall St shitey thingys!

There are Grand Jury's that take a year.

I seem to remember, one of the questions asked of the OJ Simpson jury pool "Can you stay on Jury duty for up to a year", (Close enough for government work) thats how they ended up with all or mostly Civil Servants.

Reg. Frank R

Jerseygirl Oct 22nd 2009 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 8037399)
There are Grand Jury's that take a year.

I seem to remember, one of the questions asked of the OJ Simpson jury pool "Can you stay on Jury duty for up to a year", (Close enough for government work) thats how they ended up with all or mostly Civil Servants.

Reg. Frank R

I was a petit one day/one trial juror...I mistakenly thought it meant attending for 1 day only. The judge asked me if I was available 4 days per week 8 am to 4 pm for approx 3 months. People with excuses like...I work/have children/booked a holiday etc were excused.

Bill_S Oct 22nd 2009 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8037424)
I was a petit one day/one trial juror...I mistakenly thought it meant attending for 1 day only. The judge asked me if I was available 4 days per week 8 am to 4 pm for approx 3 months. People with excuses like...I work/have children/booked a holiday etc were excused.

Did being a BE moderator get you off the hook?

Jerseygirl Oct 22nd 2009 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8037457)
Did being a BE moderator get you off the hook?

:lol:

I had no intentions of getting off the hook...however I was excused by the judge because the day before the murders took place I was in the shoe shop next door. The assistants in the shop were called as witnesses...that's the reason I was excused.

2 men and a male minor went into an electronic games store as the shop was opening one morning. The young assistant was shot in the head at point blank range. The manager arrived...he received a similar fate. The amount of goods they stole only amounted to a few hundred dollors...in exchange for 2 young lives. :(

chartreuse Oct 22nd 2009 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8037524)
2 men and a male minor went into an electronic games store as the shop was opening one morning. The young assistant was shot in the head at point blank range. The manager arrived...he received a similar fate. The amount of goods they stole only amounted to a few hundred dollors...in exchange for 2 young lives. :(

I don't want to start a fight, but that's one of the reasons I care so much about the right to bear arms. You can never predict when you might encounter an evil little bastard who cares nothing for human life. :(

Jerseygirl Oct 22nd 2009 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8037660)
I don't want to start a fight, but that's one of the reasons I care so much about the right to bear arms. You can never predict when you might encounter an evil little bastard who cares nothing for human life. :(

Sorry but I don't agree with your views about guns but that's another thread.

Too bad NJ's scrapped the death penalty. Enter FB....