Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:07 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Originally Posted by lansbury
DMV records here so I'm told. Why they use those and not the electoral roll who knows. Wonder if they think people might not register to vote but need a driving license.
ofcourse, this makes complete sense - so maybe not such a mystery after all!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I've never been called for jury duty. A friend of mine was called earlier this year and sat for almost 3 months... the trial? it was a whole heap of immegration laywers faking asylum applications and immegration circumstances.

I would have loved that one but with my knowledge of immigration law, at least the marriage-based end of it, I wouldn't have been picked.

I was picked for an accident trial where a motorist hit a woman walking in a parking lot.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

DMV records here so I'm told. Why they use those and not the electoral roll who knows. Wonder if they think people might not register to vote but need a driving license.
They use DMV records (and other lists) because people were simply avoiding jury duty by not registering to vote. It's not like voting here is a particularly popular pastime.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I was picked for an accident trial where a motorist hit a woman walking in a parking lot.
Mine was one where a guy cut off a finger using an automatic sawcutter, and was trying to sue the manufacturer for malfunction. It came to light over the few days, that he did not have the safety guard in place, he had a yardful of little kids that he was supposed to be keeping an eye on, and he had had a few beers before beginning his project. Case closed.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
So how do they select people to call? Is it from the electoral roll (like in England) - which I guess would be feasible, if the non-USCs who were called live in areas where you can register for local elections. Or is it from property tax records? Or what?

I imagine it may vary by state, also.
When I served jury duty I was told they obtained the names from several different sources...electoral roll, DMV, IRS to name a few. I suppose like most things here it differs from state to state.

BTW my husband was called for jury duty a couple weeks after he became an USC...I was called within 3 months.

Mine was for a double murder charge.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Mine was one where a guy cut off a finger using an automatic sawcutter, and was trying to sue the manufacturer for malfunction. It came to light over the few days, that he did not have the safety guard in place, he had a yardful of little kids that he was supposed to be keeping an eye on, and he had had a few beers before beginning his project. Case closed.
So how much did you award him then . I bet there was no warning stickers on the saw about having little kids running around while you used it.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So how much did you award him then .
We were all meanies and awarded him zilch. The guy obviously couldn't follow directions or take safety precautions, even though it was on a big red label on the equipment. He admitted the warning sticker was on the safety guard, he just didn't feel it was necessary to use it. LOL
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I've been called twice when I was 18 (the second time was too close to the first for me to be eligible) but haven't been called since.

I remember driving to downtown Toledo and making a wrong turn, ending up in Michigan on the morning when I needed to report to jury duty. Then I asked someone in the courtroom where I needed to go, and I remember they seemed a bit amazed that I was going there.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:12 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
That's a trip! I've never been called in all my life. Of course now that I said that, I'll get a summons tomorrow.
I've been called three times in 5 1/2 years.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Got called to jury service in NYC, 3 times as GC holder, but never after becoming a USC.
Moved to Fl (3.5 years), got called for duty same day as flying to UK. Asked for a waiver & got new date a month later, served on 2 day trial last month. Good now for 1 year, though can't remember if that covers for Federal.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Got called to jury service in NYC, 3 times as GC holder, but never after becoming a USC.
Moved to Fl (3.5 years), got called for duty same day as flying to UK. Asked for a waiver & got new date a month later, served on 2 day trial last month. Good now for 1 year, though can't remember if that covers for Federal.

Reg. Frank R.
I went to the county court...so I'm good for 3 years after that date. Although I can still be called by the Federal or State courts.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've gotten the jury summons 3 times.

Got out of it 3 times without ever having to go in.

First 2 I was in school at the time and it was finals week, so got out of it.

3rd one I was living outside the US and thus not a resident of California as was the requirement. They even sent the summons to me in Canada, dummies.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:28 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I was called 3 times when I lived in St. Louis. Sat on a jury twice, both times left me praying to God I never have to stand as a defendant before a jury trial. If those morons were my "peers"...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My daughter was called earlier this year. I called the courthouse and said she no longer lives in NJ...they said OK we'll cross her name off and that was that.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I went to the county court...so I'm good for 3 years after that date. Although I can still be called by the Federal or State courts.
Hi Jersey, mine was also County Court, but good only for 1 year. Whoopee, got paid $30.

Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.