Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

DH became a USC in 2003. Last night in the mail was his summons to jury duty at the Federal Court in lower Manhattan.

He is happy but not happy when he learned that if he is selected to grand jury that he will have to serve for more than two weeks.

But he is looking forward to the experience. I wonder if the court knows what it is in for.

BTW no cell phones, laptops, blackberries, etc. are allowed.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:05 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hubby Finally Got Called to Jury Duty

Originally Posted by Rete
DH became a USC in 2003. Last night in the mail was his summons to jury duty at the Federal Court in lower Manhattan.

He is happy but not happy when he learned that if he is selected to grand jury that he will have to serve for more than two weeks.

But he is looking forward to the experience. I wonder if the court knows what it is in for.

That's a trip! I've never been called in all my life. Of course now that I said that, I'll get a summons tomorrow.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and my older daughter got called to jury duty in the past 6 months. My husband couldn't go because he's not a USC and my older daughter lives in the UK.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My husband and my older daughter got called to jury duty in the past 6 months. My husband couldn't go because he's not a USC and my older daughter lives in the UK.
I think those are two damn good excuses not to attend.

Originally Posted by TracyTN
That's a trip! I've never been called in all my life. Of course now that I said that, I'll get a summons tomorrow.
I'm a USC since birth and have served a number of times on juries in both New York State, Westchester County and the last time in Federal Court in lower Manhattan. Now that was a great place to serve in. Location is good, close to USCIS so I was familiar with the area and places to have lunch, public transportation system, etc.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:02 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been called for jury duty. A friend of mine was called earlier this year and sat for almost 3 months... the trial? it was a whole heap of immegration laywers faking asylum applications and immegration circumstances.

Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby was called a couple of years ago, the trial was about 3 weeks long and he loved every minute of it, I have never been called, but would like to be.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:33 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I've been called, empaneled but never selected. The trial lawyers here in Delaware County all think they win by how well they "spin" the evidence, so scientists and engineers and other critical thinkers get booted, that way the facts of the case don't interfere.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a USC and I've been called several times, and selected once. The time I got selected, I served 4 days, and the case was SO boring I had trouble staying awake through it all. But it was an easy one, and it didn't take us long to come to a unanimous decision.

I wonder how long it will take my recently naturalized hubby to get called? His English is nowhere near good enough to serve.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
How about 3-wolf tshirts?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

As a native USC, I've been sent a summons 3 times. Two of those times was while I was still in school. So I got out of it by saying that I could not miss school for several weeks. The third time, I was unemployed and asked to postpone because I needed to attend job interviews. By the time they wanted to reschedule, I had moved out of state.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Been called twice. September 2007 and September 2009 of course not being a citizen I politely declined. September 2011 should be interesting.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:13 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Within the first 3 years of living here I got called twice, but couldn't attend as I wasn't a US citizen since we have moved to another city we haven't been called upon at all, but then we still couldn't participate!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:30 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

So how do they select people to call? Is it from the electoral roll (like in England) - which I guess would be feasible, if the non-USCs who were called live in areas where you can register for local elections. Or is it from property tax records? Or what?

I imagine it may vary by state, also.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:47 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are definately not enrolled on any electoral list, and at the time we were renting property so not paying property tax, I would have no idea how they would have got my details.

Maybe it was because we paid our utilities like water and garbage etc to the city, it was weird though as most of our bills were in hubby's name as when we moved in I had no SSN. I can't remember if I got called before getting my SSN??

Curious isn't it!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
So how do they select people to call? Is it from the electoral roll (like in England) - which I guess would be feasible, if the non-USCs who were called live in areas where you can register for local elections. Or is it from property tax records? Or what?

I imagine it may vary by state, also.
DMV records here so I'm told. Why they use those and not the electoral roll who knows. Wonder if they think people might not register to vote but need a driving license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.