Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HSBC UK to US

HSBC UK to US

Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Jenko has a spectacular aura aboutJenko has a spectacular aura aboutJenko has a spectacular aura about
Default HSBC UK to US

I'm moving out to the US so I went into my local branch in the UK. They have put me in touch with their international banking service and are opening me an account in the US. Its going to be over an hour away from where I live so I wondered is that going to be a problem, it wouldn't in the UK but not sure in the US.

My other question is if anybody knew if it would help the typical credit history problems that everyone faces moving to the states, I'm *looking* to lease a car when I get over so I was hoping this may help. If anybody knows whether paying the full cost of the lease up front would also help then I'd appreciate it!

If anybody has moved their HSBC account to the US then let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC UK to US

Errr....open an account with a local bank would be easier as you'll end up getting hit hard using the atm's etc...unless you live near a branch, and it won't have any impact for improving your US credit history, you just won't have any.
HSBC are good though online, and with sending statements, I still have the account going from them anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: HSBC UK to US

Originally Posted by Jenko

My other question is if anybody knew if it would help the typical credit history problems that everyone faces moving to the states, I'm *looking* to lease a car when I get over so I was hoping this may help. If anybody knows whether paying the full cost of the lease up front would also help then I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Er....if you read this link about leasing a car you might want to change your mind. Perhaps you could consider taking over an existing lease for someone looking to get released from their contract...the info is in the highlighted green coloured section:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/lease.htm

You might be better off paying cash for an older car to start off with as your insurance is likely to be high. Where will you be living?

As for banking - will you be employed as soon as you arrive? Perhaps you could open an account with the same bank your employer uses. Otherwise just keep the HSBC account going for a few months until you become established, then you can change banks to a more convenient location. To be honest, we rarely go to a bank branch anyway as we do most of our banking online...just watch for the ATM fees. One bank (Washington Mutual) which is growing in the North East, advertises that it doesn't charge ATM withdrawal fees, but I haven't read the small print, perhaps they want a large continuous balance in the account at all times.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:54 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Our HSBC branch 'recommended' us to Wells Fargo over here. They have some sort of arrangement together and Wells Fargo have more branches nationally than HSBC. HSBC sorted it all out and we basically got the cheque books and the satements with just having to sign a form.
Don't expect the fact you have been recommended will do you any favours though, all it got us was a bog standard bank account and it does NOTHING for your credit rating!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Jenko has a spectacular aura aboutJenko has a spectacular aura aboutJenko has a spectacular aura about

I am actually moving out to California. I was thinking about a lease as I may only be over in the US for a couple of years and it seemed a good option.
I'd have the cash ready to be able to pay the all the lease upfront, would that make any difference?

Not sure what to do about the bank, might go with HSBC to get someting sorted and then see how things go.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually moving out to California. I was thinking about a lease as I may only be over in the US for a couple of years and it seemed a good option.
I'd have the cash ready to be able to pay the all the lease upfront, would that make any difference?

Not sure what to do about the bank, might go with HSBC to get someting sorted and then see how things go.

yes it would make a difference in that you would probably get one no problem- but why tie yourself into a lease - if you have that kind of money, buy a second hand car and sell it before you leave. Car leases (unless you're self employed) are bad news.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

jockf is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving out to the US so I went into my local branch in the UK. They have put me in touch with their international banking service and are opening me an account in the US. Its going to be over an hour away from where I live so I wondered is that going to be a problem, it wouldn't in the UK but not sure in the US.

If anybody has moved their HSBC account to the US then let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
We had a HSBC account in the UK before moving to Ca. HSBC international set us up quite quickly and without an address or a Social Security number. 4 months before we came over we just transfered money from HSBC UK to our branch in Ca with minimal fuss. There are very few HSBC branches in Ca, so it would be advisable to look at another bank with more branches e.g Bank of America. We opened our new B of A account and transfered the money there!! Quick and simple with minimal fuss.

As for a car!! if you have the cash buy one cash. You can get credit from the time you receive your Social Security card, but as in UK you will get stung with high interest rates, but it gets your foot on the ladder. We did that then got another car loan 6 months later and paid it off!

Jock