British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HSBC Secure Key (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hsbc-secure-key-759146/)

Duncan Roberts May 23rd 2012 1:24 am

Re: HSBC Secure Key

I got one as well, can't remember when but it's been a while. I have my US address on the account and iit got sent here. It's extremely annoying and despite their claim that it's easily portable, in reality it isn't so I can no longer log into my account whenever I feel like it, I have to wait until I'm at home where the stupid key is.

MoshiMoshi May 23rd 2012 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Philk (Post 10075789)
The Secure Key is a small device that generates a code ( different every time ) that you have to enter

Yes, I have an HSBC account, and I had to start using this about six months ago. It looks like a little calculator. It's a pain -- the first one they sent me didn't work -- but I suppose it's safer.

I got a warning letter, then the device a few weeks later. Which address do you have registered with HSBC? I'm surprised they didn't notify you.

bromleygirl May 23rd 2012 5:41 am

I got my secure pin calculator thingy last year and even though my IB number, DOB is correct as well as the secure pin - I receive a green tick for each I receive a LOG_008 message telling me that something is incorrect or to try again. Of course I try again and get the same message. I tried e-mailing tech support who told me to telephone them instead or that I should go into my home branch whis isn't feasible.

So just so I understand this correctly, are you supposed to generate a new secure PIN each time you want to log in?

MoshiMoshi May 23rd 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10076977)
So just so I understand this correctly, are you supposed to generate a new secure PIN each time you want to log in?

Yes. You have a PIN number to turn the device on, and then the device generates a new PIN for each log-in.

Maggs May 23rd 2012 3:02 pm

I also have one of these devices. It was a pain at first but now I just make sure it's close by and I take it with me when I go back to the UK.

celticgrid May 23rd 2012 4:37 pm

My (not HSBC) bank has had these for a while, but only as a second layer of security. I can log on without it and do loads of basic transactions, but if I want to do serious stuff, like overseas transfers or transactions above a certain amount, out comes the little calculator. I'm happy with that....it isn't too much of a hassle.

Knowing I was heading to the US (2008) I was concerned about the calculator thingy breaking just when I needed it to work - and they happily gave me a second one. It needs a personalized, chipped card to work, so if the card fails that's an issue, but I thought it more likely the calculator would die than the card. Anyway, it was free, so no harm in a little contingency!

Mr Weeze May 24th 2012 1:08 am

Santander has a one time passcode they text to you. Unfortunately it's set up to my UK mobile, which is now showing as SIM invalid. Slight problem...

I now have to fax stuff to them, and they phone me back. Technology at it's best.

lj2 May 28th 2012 11:37 am

Had one for over 6 months. They sent plenty of correspondence and it was very clear they'd be required in order to access online banking. Not sure what the negative is other than having to carry a small calculator around with you / leave it near your computer which, for the level of fraud protection you get in UK accounts, is a small price...

Bob May 28th 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 10086293)
Had one for over 6 months. They sent plenty of correspondence and it was very clear they'd be required in order to access online banking. Not sure what the negative is other than having to carry a small calculator around with you / leave it near your computer which, for the level of fraud protection you get in UK accounts, is a small price...

I've still yet to get any mail on this. They have usually been good about sending in notices and regular statements though.

Meow May 28th 2012 12:36 pm

HSBC are rolling this initiative out worldwide. I've received them for both my Channel Islands and UAE accounts. There is usually a 90 day lead in time as shown on their online banking entry pages.

robin1234 May 28th 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10086395)
HSBC are rolling this initiative out worldwide. I've received them for both my Channel Islands and UAE accounts. There is usually a 90 day lead in time as shown on their online banking entry pages.

Hmm.. Nothing in the USA yet.