British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HSBC Secure Key (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hsbc-secure-key-759146/)

Philk May 22nd 2012 1:30 pm

HSBC Secure Key
 
So I tried to logon to my HSBC account this morning to be told my User ID was not recognised and I need a Secure Key :confused:
WTF ?

Anyone else using HSBC and finding this, or anyone using Secure Key in the US ?

Really really not impressed with them, not helped by a recent experience where the branch manager told the clerk to type "how to transfer money to credit union" into Google when I was trying to do a transfer

SarahG May 22nd 2012 2:16 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
My OH had that problem. He had to get it sent to his parents house and they forwarded it on with some other mail they had for us. It was a right royal pain in the arse. :frown:

MrsWaring May 22nd 2012 2:28 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
In the UK the newest thing for online security is a security code. I bank with Halifax and the first time I shopped online when they started using this "security code" I had to create a password/ security code. I can only presume that this is the same sort of thing for HSBC.

I was asked to create a password the first time I shopped online using my Halifax debit card.

Also, I wonder if it could be the last three numbers on the back of your card, on the security strip. This is also sometimes referred to as your "security code."

Philk May 22nd 2012 2:33 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 

Originally Posted by MrsWaring (Post 10075784)
In the UK the newest thing for online security is a security code. I bank with Halifax and the first time I shopped online when they started using this "security code" I had to create a password/ security code. I can only presume that this is the same sort of thing for HSBC.

I was asked to create a password the first time I shopped online using my Halifax debit card.

Also, I wonder if it could be the last three numbers on the back of your card, on the security strip. This is also sometimes referred to as your "security code."

No, this is something different - I have a 'security code' and was quite happily using it yesterday
The Secure Key is a small device that generates a code ( different every time ) that you have to enter

Would have been nice if the web site had given me some warning "this method of logging on will cease to work in 10 days" instead of working one day and not the next. And saying if I had problems then 'pop into your local branch' :frown:

I've found more details
http://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-e...ing/secure-key

robin1234 May 22nd 2012 2:50 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
I've had a US HSBC account for several years, and it has always had a "Security Key." It's just an additional password that never changes, not a little device like the one described on the HSBC link above... Are these UK HSBC accounts you are talking about?

Bob May 22nd 2012 2:53 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
Well that's a bugger...

Philk May 22nd 2012 2:57 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 10075813)
I've had a US HSBC account for several years, and it has always had a "Security Key." It's just an additional password that never changes, not a little device like the one described on the HSBC link above... Are these UK HSBC accounts you are talking about?

Yeh, it's a UK account, I moved over to the US last week, it worked yesterday ( using just the password ) now it seems to want one of these devices

there again, I've found lots of other things that dont work on the site ( I'm a s/w tester so I attract them ) that who knows ?

GeoffM May 22nd 2012 3:05 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
Wife has a UK HSBC personal account and had a little calculator type of thing she has to use to log in. She knew it was coming so maybe you missed a letter or something?

I have a (recent) US HSBC business account and have a little red oval thing with a single button that generates a 6-digit code.

Bob May 22nd 2012 3:08 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
Just looked more into this, they were supposed to have rolled this out by end of last year.

They send you a letter informing you that they are upgrading your internet security details and in 5-6 weeks you're supposed to get the key card and then you have 30 days to use it.

It seems they are still rolling it out to all online customers though and you can't ask them to send you one until they send it and there's been a lapse of 30 days.

I've yet to get any info though.

markwm May 22nd 2012 3:08 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 

Originally Posted by Philk (Post 10075653)
So I tried to logon to my HSBC account this morning to be told my User ID was not recognised and I need a Secure Key :confused:
WTF ?

Anyone else using HSBC and finding this, or anyone using Secure Key in the US ?

Really really not impressed with them, not helped by a recent experience where the branch manager told the clerk to type "how to transfer money to credit union" into Google when I was trying to do a transfer

Always found HSBC to be a pretty good bank but this just seems like an extra layer of unnecessary security that could be handled without need for a physical device so I closed the account before coming out as I was worried about the device failing and then it being difficult to get a new one - you'd be locked out of your account until it arrived - a tad awkward I would have said.

MrBaker2011 May 22nd 2012 3:12 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
I have had a credit-card sized keypad for my (UK) HSBC account for about a year now - can't log on without it. I guess they weren't all rolled out at the same time?? It can be annoying if you don't carry it around and want to log on at work for example.

See article here:
http://money-watch.co.uk/8224/hsbc-secure-key

AdobePinon May 22nd 2012 9:57 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 10075854)
Always found HSBC to be a pretty good bank but this just seems like an extra layer of unnecessary security that could be handled without need for a physical device so I closed the account before coming out as I was worried about the device failing and then it being difficult to get a new one - you'd be locked out of your account until it arrived - a tad awkward I would have said.

IMO, it's a good thing. My bank in the US has used a token card for about six years now. Most other banks rely on 'golden questions' like "What was the name of your first pet?" Since the people most likely to steal your money are the ones who know you, the golden questions are BS. Or you get people like me who always use fake answers to the questions, and then can't remember the answers later. :huh:

markwm May 22nd 2012 10:08 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 10076525)
IMO, it's a good thing. My bank in the US has used a token card for about six years now. Most other banks rely on 'golden questions' like "What was the name of your first pet?" Since the people most likely to steal your money are the ones who know you, the golden questions are BS. Or you get people like me who always use fake answers to the questions, and then can't remember the answers later. :huh:

My bank account here used a virtual keyboard and just changed to take 3 ransom characters from a pass phrase so all I need is a user id, password and pass phrase - those I can carry in my head and I don't have to worry about account access if a device fails or get lost in the post.

It's also fun to integrate rude words into the password/pass phrase. :D

tonrob May 22nd 2012 10:46 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
I have a secure key. I got the letter months ago giving me warning it was happening and then a while later one turned up in the post.

SarahG May 22nd 2012 11:45 pm

Re: HSBC Secure Key
 
I got one for my Co-Op Smile bank account in 2009 before we left the UK for the US but I rarely use that account so forgot I had it. My OH never got a letter and has all his mail sent to his parents house and they forward it on to us. When they remember.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.