Reload this Page >

HSBC bank account

HSBC bank account

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HSBC bank account

Originally Posted by snufkinette
Okay, gotcha. We wouldn't be going for Premier; we don't earn enough!
Neither do we! The account was setup because my employer uses HSBC both in the UK and the US, balance requirements have been waived.

kodokan - thanks for the data point, we will be looking into mortgages within the next couple of months.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2.0
Neither do we! The account was setup because my employer uses HSBC both in the UK and the US, balance requirements have been waived.

kodokan - thanks for the data point, we will be looking into mortgages within the next couple of months.
Oh, excellent point - we're about to lose our Premier status as we'll no longer be holding $100k+ with them after we've bought the house, but I recall when we opened the account that they had some sort of relationship with hubby's company; we got some sort of introduction thing from his HR to streamline the process. Perhaps we'll be able to trade on that somehow... I'll enquire...

Rates - they didn't seem too bad compared to the ones I googled online, which are obviously the very best ones possible to hook people in. Considering we're not yet in the Excellent credit range, I was quite pleased. Still planning on paying down the mortgage as quickly as poss, though - we're going to play Competitive Overpaying: 'we COULD get takeaway fish n chips from the local diner for $35, or I could spend $10 on frozen supermarket fish n chips and put the other $25 into the mortgage slush fund; I'll not have a coffee whilst shopping and add $4' etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snufkinette
This thread is quite relevant to our situation, as we hope to be moving over to the States in the next three or four months, but are worried about not having any credit history there.

My husband and I have a joint account with HSBC, and I've had a current account with them since 2006, so opening an account with them in the States is tempting simply for the credit history transfer. However, I never use the cards linked to my accounts, being a 'spend only what you have' kind of person. This is probably a silly question, but does this mean I have no credit history to transfer? I wondered if the fact that I'm a reliable customer who doesn't go into my overdraught, etc would play in my favour. Also, my statements show my monthly payments going out like clockwork. Any good in terms of establishing credit history? In that case, I wouldn't need to have a U.S. account, surely; I could just supply copies of my old statements.

Finally, there are no HSBC branches in the area where we intend to live: the Triangle in NC. Obviously, internet banking is useful, but again, only if the credit history transfer will help us.

Thanks in advance for any help!
You're looking at AmEx and global transfer or starting from scratch then.

Your banking/credit history means nothing other wise.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
If they'll give you a credit card of any kind or limit whatsoever, then it's well worth it, as you'll then be able to get to a 'good' credit rating within a year. Actually, it might be six months - we started getting a flurry of those pre-filled offers for credit cards after 6 months, so perhaps something ticks over then. Either way, it's a heck of a lot easier than working up through the pre-paid card system and meticulously never spending more than 50% of your available credit.
The credit score means shit though, especially when going for big things like mortgages.

It's handy off the bat to get around needing deposits for certain utilities or rentals though.

It's the varied actual history that really counts, which is where AmEx is very good for.

Being able to get a proper credit card from day one is very handy though, via HSBC, but that's a separate issue.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Have you lived here before, then? Maybe you've got credit history from before..?
Yes, I am a USC. Lived there from birth to age 21, but didn't build any credit at that tender age!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Butterlilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this forum and the information on here is great. Really helps with our decision making whether we move. Thanks.