Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HSBC bank account

HSBC bank account

Old May 1st 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC bank account

50k in sterling in the UK, or 100k in dollars in the US. They opened us UK accounts too (even though we actually lived in Switzerland at the time) so we could choose where to hold the balance and in what currency in order to qualify for the Premier account. There was even some talk of opening us an account in Singapore so we could continue to hold Swiss francs (neither the UK or US HSBC can provide that), but by then I was already having quite enough kittens about FBAR as it was.

(because my daughter insisted I add a smiley of some sort)
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again thanks for all the feedback, feel reasonably positive that using HSBC is the way to go. As I am not HSBC Premier I'll report back on how it goes and what benefits it brings over opening a new account in the US.
Thanks also to those who veered into car insurance, this will be my next challenge. Current thoughts are to investigate AutoSource, who claim to handle ex-pat insurance at a reasonable cost, for our main family car, I'll then cut my teeth on the real wheeling dealing on a second smaller car. But that's really a topic for another thread...

Thanks
Steve
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2.0
Once again thanks for all the feedback, feel reasonably positive that using HSBC is the way to go. As I am not HSBC Premier I'll report back on how it goes and what benefits it brings over opening a new account in the US.
Thanks also to those who veered into car insurance, this will be my next challenge. Current thoughts are to investigate AutoSource, who claim to handle ex-pat insurance at a reasonable cost, for our main family car, I'll then cut my teeth on the real wheeling dealing on a second smaller car. But that's really a topic for another thread...

Thanks
Steve
When I asked AutoSource about car insurance they passd me on to AIG which required the $440 membership to TravelGuard. I ended up not buying a car off AutoSource and instead a second hand car off a local dealer - and a local insurance broker for the car insurance. The latter got me reasonable coverage for $80 per month with $200 down. They didn't care I was an expat with no CA license (at the time) or credit history. Worth looking into.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by TangoBlue
Ah, I see. I believe there is a minimum balance needed of £50k (or US equivalent) for the premier account. Maybe I need to start saving...
Or just do what we did and take out a huge mortgage with them, that's how we qualified for premier!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

I've just been through the application process with HSBC (I was a First Direct customer with a significant balance - but they still want to charge £100)

The forms have been filled in and we are due to go into our local HSBC branch to hand them in, but the detail of ID they need is just a nightmare.

OK to Driving license and to Passport, but you cant just take any utility bill in, the bills have to have your FULL NAME on them. Now that sounds obvious, but I have been through every one of ours and they all use our initials rather than our full names.

HSBC say... tough.

I guess we'll be opening a Citizens account when we arrive...
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account with TD Bank when I got here - just needed my passport. Got a debit card and cheques straight away.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Thats what I intend to do. I really wanted to bank with Citizens anyway as they seem to have branches everywhere in Boston.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
OK to Driving license and to Passport, but you cant just take any utility bill in, the bills have to have your FULL NAME on them. Now that sounds obvious, but I have been through every one of ours and they all use our initials rather than our full names.
I know the pain - have just successfully opened my US bank account. But needed to change the names on our FD account to get the necessary proof with full names.

As a follow-up to my original post - I was able to get upgraded to premier so the help I've received from both my UK and US account managers has been terrific and made the whole process as smooth as it could be given the huge volume of paperwork involved.

Steve
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I intend to do. I really wanted to bank with Citizens anyway as they seem to have branches everywhere in Boston.
So do BoA and TD....but probably better off using a local credit union for every day stuff as they tend to be better for new arrivals.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Local credit union? Any recomendations?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Local credit union? Any recomendations?
Errr...yeah, local ones

St Mary's is supposed to be pretty good and they're all over the burbs
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:02 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Local credit unions for local people?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I've read through this thread but I've got questions about starting up an HSBC account. If I was to open an American HSBC account, would I be able to transfer money between my UK HSBC account for free like if it was UK to UK?

Also there seems to be a lot of account types like expat ones, international ones etc, is there a standard one just like in the UK? I won't be putting anywhere near $100000 in it, I'll be lucky if it ever gets to $1000.

I have an account at the local credit union but they dont do international transfers at all so thats why I want something else instead of paying each time I use xoom
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I want something else instead of paying each time I use xoom
try XE.com
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I had problems with XE.com when trying to set it up. Xoom worked though and worked again yesterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.