British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HS diploma/GED for employment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hs-diploma-ged-employment-896583/)

aless02 May 10th 2017 8:22 am

HS diploma/GED for employment

Would it be good for husband to obtain some sort of equivalency certificate prior to moving to meet these criteria found on every single job application? I'm not worried too much about private sector, as I think a lot of places in his field would be happy with a simple explanation, but if he wanted to change fields or work in public sector (for the state, for example), I wonder if they will be more strict.

He has some GCSEs and a couple GNVQs as well, so am I correct in thinking these are sufficient equivalency? He did not do very well in school and has extreme testing anxiety, so actually sitting the GED would definitely be a last resort.

civilservant May 10th 2017 11:23 am

Re: HS diploma/GED for employment

I personally would put 'UK High School Equivalent' after his qualifications. As you will quickly learn, the sort of job that is listed as only requiring a HSD or GED are likely to be low paying jobs that in reality need neither, other than an ability to speak, write and understand basic English (I'm thinking MCDonalds etc)

If he intends to earn anything like a livable wage in the long term, then he really needs to consider going back to school to either get a bachelors (bare minimum for most jobs) or some sort of trade.

carcajou May 10th 2017 11:31 am

civilservant is correct. A high school diploma or equivalent is essential for anything above minimum-wage positions. I admit I don't know what your husband does - but generally the private sector does care too, and quite often high school diploma or equivalent is one of the screening items used to create the short-list.

However you word it on the CV - make sure you can produce pieces of official-looking paper to back it up, in case HR asks for it at some point.

tom169 May 10th 2017 11:54 am

When asked for whatever reason, beit insurance quotes or work, I state that I have graduated from high school. I don't make a distinction between US or UK.

aless02 May 10th 2017 12:36 pm

He does work in a 'trade' as an optician, so demonstrating experience and skills in that field is the angle he was going for (and ALL the job listings we've seen say HSD or GED). I guess I was more wondering if he goes for a big corporate company or public sector, don't want his application to get thrown out because they don't realize that his level of schooling is equal to HSD.

Edit: Okay, I think I've worked it out. He has 2 Intermediate GNVQs from back in the day, which apparently are equal to 3 A*-C GCSEs, 2x3=6 GCSEs at A*-C. Colloquial sources state 5 GCSEs are roughly equal to a US HS diploma, but I'm struggling to find an official source in case any employer has questions! Is there a NARIC equivalent for the United States?

civilservant May 10th 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by aless02 (Post 12249560)
He does work in a 'trade' as an optician, so demonstrating experience and skills in that field is the angle he was going for (and ALL the job listings we've seen say HSD or GED). I guess I was more wondering if he goes for a big corporate company or public sector, don't want his application to get thrown out because they don't realize that his level of schooling is equal to HSD.

I'm not sure that his experience as an optician is going to be easily transferable, Some opticians learn their skills through formal training programs here.

Professional technical schools and two-year colleges offer programs in opticianry. Two-year programs usually grant an associate degree. One-year programs offer a certificate. Training usually includes courses in optical math, optical physics, and tools and equipment use. Other opticians can apprentice to learn the required skills. Many formal education programs will accept hours worked as an apprentice to supplement or replace course credits, as well.
It looks like he will probably have to undergo some sort of retraining, apprenticeship or exam. I know that in the UK the optician is 'the eye doctor' but here it's not really the case, you usually have an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist in the office.

To answer the original question - stating the qualification and putting 'UK High School Diploma Equivalent' would be enough in my opinion.

aless02 May 10th 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12249581)
I'm not sure that his experience as an optician is going to be easily transferable, Some opticians learn their skills through formal training programs here.

It looks like he will probably have to undergo some sort of retraining, apprenticeship or exam. I know that in the UK the optician is 'the eye doctor' but here it's not really the case, you usually have an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist in the office.

To answer the original question - stating the qualification and putting 'UK High School Diploma Equivalent' would be enough in my opinion.

Thanks, we've already looked into this (and he's spoken to local people in the past). CO is not a state where licensing/formal training is mandatory nor even common. For his role, training & experience is valued. He is not the doctor (optometrist both in the UK and USA), he is the person who dispenses the glasses. No it doesn't pay outstanding wages, also hence why I'm thinking in the future about other job types that might be more 'strict' about the HSD/GED requirement!

Appreciate the opinions about HSD equivalent, thanks.

scrubbedexpat099 May 10th 2017 1:10 pm

Maybe something relevant when going into Further Education but for an entry level job just a box you tick.

vikingsail May 11th 2017 9:23 pm

My input is do not embark down the road of equivalency assessments unless absolutely necessary for a well paying role. The equivalency organizations out there have attempted (unfortunately quite sucessfully) to capture the market. it is a lucrative yet charlatan type profession. Think lower than used car salesmen (sorry used car salesmen) just trying for an easily recognized stereotype.

I would just take the GED. It really is not that difficult. I actually think its a stretch to compare it to 5 GCSE O levels. Search for some review books on Amazon and take a look yourself. I'm sure he will have no problem with it - even with exam anxiety if he treats it as a bit of fun I believe he might be pleasantly surprised.

Pulaski May 11th 2017 9:54 pm

Personally I would suggest that a GED is very much a last resort - it seems to be commonly obtained by dropouts and ex-cons, so may just create more problems in gaining employment than it solves.

vikingsail May 11th 2017 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12250915)
Personally I would suggest that a GED is very much a last resort - it seems to be commonly obtained by dropouts and ex-cons, so may just create more problems in gaining employment than it solves.

Agreed. Except as I have posted elsewhere its often unwittingly or perhaps very deliberately :sneaky: used on some application forms to 'sift.' A number of years ago I could not understand why my applications for certain city and county roles were getting filed in the trash. I did some gentle investigation and discovered it was the lack of HS diploma or GED on the application that was reconciling my application to the trash for an otherwise viable job application. I took the GED (not about to go to High School). I now have a nice GED certificate which sits nicely alongside my degree certificates rofl, and did obtain an interview for the position shortly thereafter, as they say here go figure.

Hence my explanation to hopefully assist the OP or anyone else who may encounter the same.

vikingsail May 11th 2017 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12249614)
Maybe something relevant when going into Further Education but for an entry level job just a box you tick.

True but if you do and don't have then .....adios senor!

carcajou May 11th 2017 10:44 pm

Yes to above, also, if you go down that road, be sure to look carefully at who is accrediting the institution. In the US, REGIONAL accreditation is what you are looking for - there are six main regional accreditation agencies that cover schools and universities - NOT NATIONAL accreditation, which is for diploma mills. There is no national accreditation, but diploma mills and shady agencies can just incorporate their own accrediting agency and declare it to be "national."

The fly-by-nights know that and yak about "we are nationally accredited!" knowing most people don't know what that means.