Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How's the green compare

View Poll Results: How does your wage compare to the UK?
50%+ more - with a HIGHER standard of living
17.24%
50%+ more - with a LOWER standard of living
3.45%
25 - 50% more- with a HIGHER standard of living
10.34%
25 - 50% more -with a LOWER standard of living
3.45%
10 - 25% more - with a HIGHER standard of living
17.24%
10 - 25% more - with a LOWER standard of living
10.34%
plus/minus 10% - with a HIGHER standard of living
10.34%
plus/minus 10% - with a LOWER standard of living
0%
10 - 25% less - with a HIGHER standard of living
10.34%
10 - 25% less - with a LOWER standard of living
0%
25 - 50% less - with a HIGHER standard of living
3.45%
25 - 50% less - with a LOWER standard of living
3.45%
50% less - with a HIGHER standard of living
0%
50% less - with a LOWER standard of living
3.45%
What's it to you anyway?
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How's the green compare

Old May 19th 2005, 1:42 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default How's the green compare

I have to be honest, as much as the USA is my home and the UK my birth place, my true love is Oz so I stop by their forum from time to time to keep my finger on the pulse.

I saw this poll there and thought I'd replicate but with the proviso that I've included a standard of living element.

My first poll, hope this works.........
Old May 19th 2005, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the green compare

It didn't work, or already deleted?
Old May 19th 2005, 1:51 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
It didn't work, or already deleted?
It worked, but I had a lot of options to type

Because of the number options I think a lot of people will need to vote before any conclusions can be drawn so let the voting commence.

Last edited by Chandler; May 19th 2005 at 1:52 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 19th 2005, 1:59 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you want people to compare when they actually left the UK! Once you have been here a few years the comparison wouldn't be quite the same.

Also, what about the poll where you are earning/less and your standard of living hasn't changed? Not that I'm trying to get you to add anymore to the long list by the way
Old May 19th 2005, 2:02 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Originally Posted by Ben
I presume you want people to compare when they actually left the UK! Once you have been here a few years the comparison wouldn't be quite the same.

Also, what about the poll where you are earning/less and your standard of living hasn't changed? Not that I'm trying to get you to add anymore to the long list by the way
Or indeed more but with no change in ones standard of living. Or perhaps less?

Sadly, the powers at be deem 15 to be the maximum number of options for any given poll.

I should also point out that I did not select the option that allows for a person to see how any given member of the forum votes.
Old May 19th 2005, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chandler
Sadly, the powers at be deem 15 to be the maximum number of options for any given poll.

I.

thank god for that .....
Old May 19th 2005, 2:10 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
thank god for that .....
Fair point. Well made.

Perhaps I could do another poll predicting how this poll will turn out. Or maybe a poll predicting if the poll that predicts the results of the original poll will in itself prove accurate. Or perhaps......
Old May 19th 2005, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

What a confusing looking poll. lol

I make less money per hour, if you take $1=£1, but my standard of living is much better. This is mainly due to the fact that I now live in a two income family, where as I lived on my own with all the mortgage and bills to pay by myself.
Old May 19th 2005, 5:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I make less money per hour, if you take $1=£1, but my standard of living is much better. This is mainly due to the fact that I now live in a two income family, where as I lived on my own with all the mortgage and bills to pay by myself.
Thats' a good point...I ain't earning now, but when I am, I can expect to get a lower salary with the average exchange rate of £1:$1.50....at a 1:1 it would probably be about the same unless I had a job in London....either way, standard of living here is higher for the money, and certainly now as the missus is working...
Old May 19th 2005, 11:53 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Originally Posted by Bob
Thats' a good point...I ain't earning now, but when I am, I can expect to get a lower salary with the average exchange rate of £1:$1.50....at a 1:1 it would probably be about the same unless I had a job in London....either way, standard of living here is higher for the money, and certainly now as the missus is working...
I'd agree with both of you,the FX Rate does scew an anwer for those earning say 0-20% (+ or -) of their UK wage. But perhaps less so at the extremes of the scale.

As for a partner now working etc. Would you have been better or worse off without reliance on that income?

Anyone out there care to admit to wining the lottery?
Old May 19th 2005, 1:57 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Keep the votes coming, but here are some stats after a mere 12 hrs.

16 Votes cast.

1 "what's it to you". Of the 15 who have selected another option:

73% earn more
7% about the same
20% less

At a risk of getting all John Snow, early results are interesting because even given the strength of the $ people seem to be earning more. A weak $ would presumably push at least the 7% neutral category into the 'earn more' group. Of course, these are early results and as such are indicative only.

One more observation:

73% feel they have a higher standard of living
27% feel they have a lower standard of living

Anyone else find this as interesting as me….? :scared:
Old May 19th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda find it interesting. I think a big factor affecting standard of living is location. Down here in Tampa (although prices are rapidly rising), you can get your massive gaff with pool for less than the price of a small apartment up by DC or New York or LA, but obviously the downside is you will earn less. Which is not a problem unless you travel to the UK a lot for example, whereby your lower wage does not go very far.

I think day to day life running costs are comparable with UK, vehicles, houses electronics and other major purchases are cheaper. I tend to use the 1:1.5 scale like Bob, as it seems to me to be an even comparator when comparing prices of things.

I think the other quality of life issue is the non financial side, such as warm weather which suits my hobbies like waterskiing and scuba diving etc. If I was up in North Dakota, for example, I don't expect I'd be doing a lot of that, so week to week life would be of lower quality. Then again in Colorado, I'd probably be happy too, could go skiing a lot. There are a couple of factors outside the financial, I reckon.
Old May 19th 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention as well, family and friends are quite a big deal on your quality of life study. My wife is born and raised from the area where we now live, and as such, she has plenty of school friends and all of her family within an hour or twos drive. She's also got plenty of work friends who she's known for years, and we've always got something to do and people to see so it seems. I've also made my own friends through hobbies etc, so we're pretty lucky in so much that we've got some sort of roots here. If we didnt have, chances are we wouldn't be here, all your finacial side of quality of life wouldn't mean a lot if you couldnt enjoy it. As far as my friends and family go, sure you miss them a bit, but no doubt poeple'll be over to visit - better that way than go back to UK with the crappy exchange rate and lower wage at the minute
Old May 19th 2005, 4:19 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

At a risk of getting all John Snow, early results are interesting because even given the strength of the $ people seem to be earning more. A weak $ would presumably push at least the 7% neutral category into the 'earn more' group.

I thought the dollar was weak at the moment..
Old May 19th 2005, 4:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

One more observation:

73% feel they have a higher standard of living
27% feel they have a lower standard of living

Anyone else find this as interesting as me….? :scared:
But 'standard of living' tends to be of a material nature. Not the same as 'quality of life'. You can have a great standard of living and a shitty quality of life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.