Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas
OK, well, it's not exactly a secret. The Germans even have a special word for it, "schadenfreude", which doesn't have a direct-translation to English, but the closest technical translation is "Harm-Joy" or the "Joy of others' misfortunes".

But that's only the technical translation. The word is equally used in the context of "jealousy", or "Neidisch" or "Neidischkeit" (a sort of slang variation).

But in the context of this discussion, the word equally applies to both "looking down the nose at those with less", and "despise for those with more". In fact, that connotation is probably the primary "meaning".

Both are rather common German stereotypes (that the Germans openly acknowledge), but it's not limited to Germans - most Europeans intuitively identify both those of lesser economic class, and those of greater economic class with some degree of segregation or even discomfort. The intensity of those emotions varies with the local culture and character, but it's more prevalent in larger cities and suburbs. For example, Munich and Hamburg cultures are well-known for exhibiting schadenfreude, for example.

Your watch, your car, and your shoes are amongst the first impressions that people will judge you by. If you don't appear to be in the 'right' income bracket, many may keep their distance - on that basis alone. Politely, but distant.

If you show up at a middle-class gathering with a Porsche and a Rolex, don't expect a warm reception, regardless of your personal character. Drive the Volkswagen and wear your Timex. The same applies if you're a salesperson. Showing up in a new Mercedes doesn't mean you're successful, it means you're a "shark", and should be avoided. Because, well, "success" is often associated with something dubious.

In contrast, if you're having a little get together with your middle-class friends, it's best not to invite your struggling divorced single mother colleague at work, or your wealthy boss. Associating with people of another class is a little questionable. The classes are well-defined. Best not to step too far into a zone you don't belong.

Now, I'm not suggesting that's some fixed set of rules, but only that Europeans in particular, are quite conscious of class differentiators right from the start, and socially, it's important to be aware of how you may be perceived in that context. Whether they like you or avoid you on that basis varies depending on the character of the beholder.

Now, having said all that, I find the same social stigmas are far less defined in America, nor that a person's character is first identified by their perceived economic class, and I simply find that refreshing. That's all I was commenting on.
I don't know where you got your impressions from Germany, but I did not experience any of that. Of course you'll find different areas (wealthy, not so wealthy). Again no different to the rest of the world. 9% of Germans actually drive a Mercedes.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I see all kinds everywhere.
People are people.
Having worked in 32 countries in the last 30 years, that's absolutely right. Doesn't matter where you are, Iran, Zambia, China, USA, Venezuela, we all want the same things. Good health, a decent income and a future for our children.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:36 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't know where you got your impressions from Germany, but I did not experience any of that. Of course you'll find different areas (wealthy, not so wealthy). Again no different to the rest of the world. 9% of Germans actually drive a Mercedes.
Well, I lived in Germany for nearly 20 years. OK, that's not a lifetime, but it's long enough to absorb a little of the local culture.

And it's not the brand, it's the model, and it's retail price that counts.

OK, I understand that you may not agree, but the fact is, socially, Americans exhibit a much foggier, less defined distinction of the classes than Europeans, and I find that pretty refreshing. That's all.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 23rd 2015 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I lived in Germany for nearly 20 years. OK, that's not a lifetime, but it's long enough to absorb a little of the local culture.

And it's not the brand, it's the model.
I think people are laughing at you more for the irony of your patronising tone instructing us how we don't know what Europe is like, while simultaneously making claims about the US that are ridiculous to anyone who has lived here.

Two that stand out are firstly, claiming that European goods are widely available in the US (actually in most small towns, even the range of American goods is pretty poor), and secondly, claiming that Americans don't judge others based on their wealth (which is actually the American equivalent to class, and just as common).
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... OK, I understand that you may not agree, but the fact is, socially, Americans exhibit a much foggier, less defined distinction of the classes than Europeans, and I find that pretty refreshing. That's all.
That is not a fact, there are all manner of social divisions in the US, perhaps different from those in the UK and Europe, but major divisions none the less. I will be surprised if any of the regulars here on BE who live, or have lived, in the US agree with you.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:52 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is not a fact. I will be surprised if any of the regulars here on BE who live, or have lived, in the US agree with you.
If you went to an estate agent to look for a home, or if a supplier for you company showed up at your office, what first impression would most influence your opinion of them?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Mrs, Danvers, you obviously haven't ever lived in Europe, where the division of classes are much more defined.
Perhaps not, but I did drive a Ford Focus for six years in the USA which was a cheap car. There was some judging going on, believe me. I didn't care though.

You are as always welcome to form your own opinions.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you went to an estate agent to look for a home, or if a supplier for you company showed up at your office, what first impression would most influence your opinion of them?
I don't know where you're going with this question. ..... More or less the same as in the UK: whatever is most distinctive about them, which could mean anything: appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, accent/ grammar, demeanor/attitude, what car (age/ quality/ state of repair) they showed up in. People form immediate impressions of people they meet, that's human nature.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The size of their tie knots. The larger the knot, the stronger the douche. Bonus points if the tie or shirt is pink

Same goes for the amount of product in their hair and the number of spikes.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Owen778
I think people are laughing at you more for the irony of your patronising tone instructing us how we don't know what Europe is like, while simultaneously making claims about the US that are ridiculous to anyone who has lived here.

Two that stand out are firstly, claiming that European goods are widely available in the US (actually in most small towns, even the range of American goods is pretty poor), and secondly, claiming that Americans don't judge others based on their wealth (which is actually the American equivalent to class, and just as common).
Well, let's see, aside from an extremely broad range of liquors, wines, beers, etc... What else? Let's compare:

To keep it simple, let's just take the top 50 >German< companies selling German products in the US:

Top 50 German companies operating in US

Now, let's look at American companies in all of Europe selling American goods:
(on a side note, I find it interesting that if you google the term "American Companies in Europe" you get pages of "Best Jobs in Europe" and "Europe's most successful companies")

Anyway, I did a quick google of that, and the results are a bit foggy and convoluted, so I'll offer this:

Biggest S&P 500 Companies With European Exposure And Weak Balance Sheets - In Photos: Biggest U.S. Companies With Large European Exposure - Forbes

You're right, this isn't a like-for like metric, but it does strongly suggest a rather significant difference in trade each direction.

And certainly, it appears that the trade from Europe is heavily consumer-goods oriented (suggesting that European consumer products are indeed more readily available in the US), whilst the trade from the US to Europe is more industrial and B2B.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know where you're going with this question. ..... More or less the same as in the UK: whatever is most distinctive about them, which could mean anything: appropriate clothing, personal hygiene, accent/ grammar, demeanor/attitude, what car (age/ quality/ state of repair) they showed up in. People form immediate impressions of people they meet, that's human nature.
OK, fair enough.

What if you went to a dinner gathering, and met a well-dressed bloke and his wife. Both obviously well-off, sporting Rolexes and driving a high-end car of some sort.

What would be your first impression, and would you feel intimidated, fearful, even angry... and reluctant to "mingle" with them?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

and would you feel intimidated, fearful, even angry... and reluctant to "mingle" with them?
Only if you had personal issues to be honest. Is that how you feel?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:32 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

What if you went to a dinner gathering, and met a well-dressed bloke and his wife. Both obviously well-off, sporting Rolexes and driving a high-end car of some sort.
In Texas, this is referred to as "all hat, no cattle." Lots of people of so-so means put on a show to impress others, while many wealthy drive older cars and live in modest houses. Frugal rich people use their money to invest and improve their businesses instead of squandering money on stuff. Stupid non-rich people take on debt to fund their showy lifestyles.

Even Warren Buffet, whom you probably recall is a billionaire, lives in the same modest home in Omaha that he bought decades ago.

"The Millionaire Next Door" is a book that explains this mindset perfectly.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Only if you had personal issues to be honest.
Fine, fair enough, but I was asking Pulaski.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by manekeniko
In Texas, this is referred to as "all hat, no cattle." Lots of people of so-so means put on a show to impress others, while many wealthy drive older cars and live in modest houses. Frugal rich people use their money to invest and improve their businesses instead of squandering money on stuff. Stupid non-rich people take on debt to fund their showy lifestyles.

Even Warren Buffet, whom you probably recall is a billionaire, lives in the same modest home in Omaha that he bought decades ago.

"The Millionaire Next Door" is a book that explains this mindset perfectly.
Thank you for that, but that's not what I was asking, although that does rather support my point. But thanks anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.