Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is your American dream working out for you?

How is your American dream working out for you?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How is your American dream working out for you?

Was the grass greener on the other side?

I'd like to escape Gr Britain to the warmer clims of California in the future.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your American dream working out for you?

"American dream", "land of the free", "melting pot" all part of the illusion Americans are spoon fed from the minute they are born. If you move here from a 3rd world county, perhaps the US is a land where anything is possible but that is not the case for everyone who moved here.

Better, worse, all depends how you look at it, where you are coming from, why you are coming here etc....in the end, there is a place for everyone, the key is finding where you fit best and you may not know where that is until you try.

Best of luck on your journey!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Yup.. What she said ^^^^^^ !!!

It really does depend on so many factors, opinions and expectations.

We have been here in California for 8 months, with many ups and downs... But thankfully mostly 'ups' now. I think as with any big move you can never really predict how things will turn out, and how you will cope with the hurdles you have to get through.

I really enjoy California. I love the variety of the things we can do, beaches, Mountains, skiing, LA - or no, thats right LA is S H I T E!!

I don't like american TV, Falseness of some (most) O.C. people, Homesickness , alot of american food.. yadda yadda yadda...

But it really doesn't matter that its working for me... thats all my personal opinions, you have to figure out how it will work for you.. If nothing else the ride is unpredictable and very exciting

Very Best of Luck
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live here

Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

now i live here

Naperville, IL

the contrast is rather stark.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:15 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing great here - completely unintended since I moved over for a woman.

Quality of life is much better for me here.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:16 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Yup.. What she said ^^^^^^ !!!

It really does depend on so many factors, opinions and expectations.

We have been here in California for 8 months, with many ups and downs... But thankfully mostly 'ups' now. I think as with any big move you can never really predict how things will turn out, and how you will cope with the hurdles you have to get through.

I really enjoy California. I love the variety of the things we can do, beaches, Mountains, skiing, LA - or no, thats right LA is S H I T E!!

I don't like american TV, Falseness of some (most) O.C. people, Homesickness , alot of american food.. yadda yadda yadda...

But it really doesn't matter that its working for me... thats all my personal opinions, you have to figure out how it will work for you.. If nothing else the ride is unpredictable and very exciting

Very Best of Luck
Fine if you don't get sick. Which is why we leave in May.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:17 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
I used to live here

Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

now i live here

Naperville, IL

the contrast is rather stark.
Wow, Hemsworth looks like the Lebanon after the Israelis bombed the **** out of it
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Oh god how did I forget that.. I hate the Health System here!! Thanks Thy... sorry to hear that though
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thydney
i am sorry to hear you have to come back to the uk thyd but at least you have that safety net which is perhaps the only good thing
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lyndilou
i am sorry to hear you have to come back to the uk thyd but at least you have that safety net which is perhaps the only good thing
hope you dont mind me asking Thyd but have you been in US a long time> did you retire there or went there for work?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:38 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndilou
hope you dont mind me asking Thyd but have you been in US a long time> did you retire there or went there for work?
4 years and we came here to work
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Wow, Hemsworth looks like the Lebanon after the Israelis bombed the **** out of it
countless drug dealers, smack heads and corner shops... not so many actual normal people.

while my parents have lived there they've been burgled 4 times... twice by their immediate (attached) neighbour, the local hoodlum family has spawned, trained up some new twoc'ers and they've spawned again into drug dealing twoc'ers. There have been 10+ murders, many more attempts (my bro was witness to one), 2 riots and the number of police raids is absurd.

tis a happy place....

Note: TWOC = Taken Without Owners Consent... term used by police so they can properly document a thief without calling them a thief.

Last edited by USBound; Mar 17th 2008 at 2:23 am.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I'm doing great here - completely unintended since I moved over for a woman.
I know what you mean mate, but I'd phrase it differently before the wife sees it.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:25 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Had my ups and downs. Probably would have been better off staying in the UK, but then I've had some great experiences too in 2 decades in California.
Sometimes I like it, sometimes I'm still homesick after all this time.
American dream, propoganda dreamed up by politicians and movie makers.
Life is life, but the streets are not paved with gold in sunny California
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Had my ups and downs. Probably would have been better off staying in the UK, but then I've had some great experiences too in 2 decades in California.
Sometimes I like it, sometimes I'm still homesick after all this time.
American dream, propoganda dreamed up by politicians and movie makers.
Life is life, but the streets are not paved with gold in sunny California
Beautiful and true...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.