Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How you marriage changed when you moved?

How you marriage changed when you moved?

Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud of
Default How you marriage changed when you moved?

Hello all!

Sorry I just couldn't find a similar thread. I'm curious about all of you who married foreigners and moved with them did you have any crisis in relationships since you moved to a new country?
And to those of you who came with families,- emigration can
be a challenge too, so did you have any "inner" problems and if so
how did you deal with them.

I'll start with myself. My 1st year of marriage with the 1st year in new country.
It's been a bit crazy because I realized at some point that i'm projecting
my frustration with the country (homesickness/culture shock whatever you call it) on my OH. Logically I understand that it's not right(that it was my choice and no one forced me), but I had a period when I had issues.
Just curious if anyone else felt like this.
Thx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How you marriage changed when you moved?

completely normal

also, i'm sure your OH is having the stress of knowing you are stressed and and thinking is only them to blame for bringing you to this country
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

You're not alone.
The wife dealt with the culture shock very well though. But we 'teamed' together more rather than allowing it to drive anything between us (cue string and heavenly choirs)
This was mainly while I was working an IT contract in London and she was supply teaching in Woolwich of all places! (bit of a shock in itself!)
Our aim was to settle back in Cornwall but work has proven to be the stumbling block. Many people want to move down here and permanent teaching jobs (especially decent primary roles) are very very hard to come by.
My transition to from IT to Plumbing foundered where it should have been better (I expected support from family and friends in the trade that was not forthcoming but that was a whole other story)

So we've decided to throw in the towel with the UK and try back in CA.
Shame property has slowed right down as we'd prefer to offload our house to keeping it and managing a rental from so far away.

So now the culture shock is going to be on my side but I think we have good track record so far :-)

Good luck yerself!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the States and still do. When I arrived all the immigration crap and isolation got to me it took 9 months to get a SSN and I was stuck at home .Now we have two young children I find I am isolated again. I like my lifestyle but I get lonely and miss my family and familiar things. I really don't think my husband understands he is not close to his family and they are diffciult for me to deal with. I am all he has with our children so I can't leave as I love all of them more than the culture and family I miss in the UK. It is all very hard at times and I have my moments when I wish I could just go on a plane and escape for a while. I try and join mummy clubs and do things but I really don't get out much. I'm sure it will get easier when my children get older but I am finding having a baby and toddler much harder than anything else. I don't get any help at all so never a break. My husband is in the military so goes away a lot. It's not easy but then where is. I hear everyone bitching about the UK too. I think you just have to try and make the best of it.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kida
It's been a bit crazy because I realized at some point that i'm projecting
my frustration with the country (homesickness/culture shock whatever you call it) on my OH. Logically I understand that it's not right(that it was my choice and no one forced me), but I had a period when I had issues.
Just curious if anyone else felt like this.
Thx
yep, that sounds normal you'll be glad to hear

my usc lived in the uk with me for 18yrs and we never had a problem, basically coz he loved it....but here, poor man...i so dislike it and take it out on him or used to, not so bad now coz i know this life isn't forever and we are returning home.

so don't worry you are not alone and i hope things continue to get better for you
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud of

Thx guys!

It's comforting to hear that i'm not completely mad.
And I can tell that i'm already better than before. I told myself that
i'm just making up problems where they don't exist.
But you know how it is sometimes when you move somewhere your life
goes upside down..
It was interesting to read you guys.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Not really changed I just found it a lot harder with the long separations with him being in the Navy, we of course made the best of the time we had together, but he did say to me once "you dont laugh like you use too" and how true that is, but these past few months I've felt that long mood lift being as it's not much longer to go till we leave