Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:25 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of
Default Re: How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

Originally Posted by nethead
No that\'s not what I was suggesting, but you seem to be suggesting that all immigrants to the UK sell stolen goods. But I guess you missed my point. How do you know I haven\'t seen where you live, I am British and haven\'t been here that long, so I\'ll comment all I want thanks.
I was not suggesting that all immigrants in England sell stolen goods - that was your mistake. In fact, only 2 people have offered to sell stolen goods to me.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Money always felt a restrictive factor in England. Everyone is always broke at home, and friends still live with Mum or in shared flats, whereas here I feel comfortable and don't worry, and I feel well compensated for my job.
credit cards and debt...you've gotta love it
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnStang
If you are suggesting that I am going to be selling stolen goods, then no - I wont be doing that, so I will be a better immigrant than the people we are getting where I currently live. Also I will be pumping lots of money into the local economy paying international rates as a student. Really, unless you have seen where I live right now, you cant comment.
Student....yeah, socially they don't treat you like they do in the UK, somewhere between a dog turd and a leper...but then again, over here, you get sod all benefits of being a student like student rates for anything, it's kind of a bit shite.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Je Crois

Regarding someone else here who is not happy... You are in Connecticut!! The rudest state in America!!! This is yankee town. You need to move south or west. Do not stay in the East.
That's the thing with generalisations, it's very easy to tar much of the country with what you say, but it ain't all like that, the East is a tad large over here and all that. Maine, though there's a big divide in wealth and jobs, it is a nice state, and the people generally are pleasant, some exceptions, as with any place...but there still in the east.

And ask anyone in the real New England, and CT ain't a part of it, but tri-state...it's all semantics at the end of the day ain't it
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:52 pm
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to generalize. It's makes me comfortable.. LOL

I'm not saying I don't have yankee friends. You know, over the years I've had lots of yankee friends... I'm just saying I don't want to live there. It's a bit tense to say the least.

My dad lives in Rhode Island. When we went to New York once, a guy in the parking lot felt he did not park very well and started yelling at him. Just ranting like a lunatic. Needless to say, I've never had this happen anywhere else...
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to generalize. It's makes me comfortable.. LOL

I'm not saying I don't have yankee friends. You know, over the years I've had lots of yankee friends... I'm just saying I don't want to live there. It's a bit tense to say the least.

My dad lives in Rhode Island. When we went to New York once, a guy in the parking lot felt he did not park very well and started yelling at him. Just ranting like a lunatic. Needless to say, I've never had this happen anywhere else...
ever been to houston?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:59 pm
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Houston. I lived in Austin for several years. I've been to: Amarillo, Corpus Christi, DFW, El Paso.. many parts of Texas.

I think Houston is very humid. I prefer Dallas.

If I did not live in Dallas, I think I would live in Chicago. I like the people there, they are nice and there's a lot do to. A very interesting city.

If I won the lottery, I'd be on the first plane over to England. I really love it there, but I think you should be pretty rich to enjoy it.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tls1974
Why? Don't mean to be nosey but I plan to move out to Cali so if there's anything really dire I should know, now would be a good time....
No it's not dire, depends how old you are etc, PM me if you want
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:07 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

If you are suggesting that I am going to be selling stolen goods, then no - I wont be doing that, so I will be a better immigrant than the people we are getting where I currently live. Also I will be pumping lots of money into the local economy paying international rates as a student. Really, unless you have seen where I live right now, you cant comment.
Better Immigrant? Funny.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Houston. I lived in Austin for several years. I've been to: Amarillo, Corpus Christi, DFW, El Paso.. many parts of Texas.

I think Houston is very humid. I prefer Dallas.

If I did not live in Dallas, I think I would live in Chicago. I like the people there, they are nice and there's a lot do to. A very interesting city.

If I won the lottery, I'd be on the first plane over to England. I really love it there, but I think you should be pretty rich to enjoy it.

i too prefer dallas over houston anyday and yes i agree with your last paragraph 100%.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:07 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
I was taking the pi$$, the micheal, having a laugh. I thought that was obvious, with all due respect it really is true that alot of Americans don't always get the British sense of humour.

You know what's funny? If a Yank had said that I would have known it was a joke right off! Coming from a Brit, I just thought you had been misinformed and took it as gospel.

If you had said "Just kidding" after I would have known...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Coming from a Brit, I just thought you had been misinformed and took it as gospel. :

I don't actually know many Brits who would be that gullable, but anyway no worries, just a misunderstanding.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:56 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Really.

Please tell us, in which states is it legal for a beggar to shoot you for not giving him money?
In most states - they tend to shoot off their mouths at you when you don't give any change.... all of a sudden they can speak tongues; who would have guessed?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I was not suggesting that all immigrants in England sell stolen goods - that was your mistake. In fact, only 2 people have offered to sell stolen goods to me.
I don't think I was mistaken maybe you were misinforming, because in post number 48 you said, and I quote directly,
A LOT of beggars or some strange youths that looks like he is from god knows what country coming up to you in the street offering to sell you stolen jewelery.

So is it A LOT or 'only 2 people' make your mind up.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:17 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to U Mass Amherst. ANyway, I heard New England has lots of pretty fields and open spaces - like in that movie Sleepy Hollow. I would also like to go out to Ithaca in New York. How long does it take to get from Boston to New York on train? Can I do a day trip to New York like that??? Also does Beverly area have a lot of crime? DO you think the New England area of America is the best part of America to live in??
Sleepy Hollow (the 1999, Johnny Depp version) was filmed in England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.