Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

Originally Posted by JohnStang View Post
No I mean that I am like most men, assuming that most men enjoy female companionship.
Look if you are gay, it's not a problem on this forum.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop View Post
Look if you are gay, it's not a problem on this forum.
Lots of poofters here .....
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moji View Post
Many people in this world are very envious of Americans, but never mind them. My favourite thing about living in America is the lack of miserable, condescending, oh aren't we so superior, English people. Have a nice day!
You are joking, aren't you?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:43 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John Stang. I hope you have a great time too. The USA is the best. Everyone knows that. It is a nation founded on excellent principles. Many people in this world are very envious of Americans, but never mind them. My favourite thing about living in America is the lack of miserable, condescending, oh aren't we so superior, English people. Have a nice day!
Your so right. I would hate to move back to England and never have to deal with an arrogant, "best country in the world" narrow minded person again.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:20 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

England is a strange place these days - thats the best word I can use to describe it. Sometimes you really feel like a stranger in your own country here.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnStang View Post
England is a strange place these days - thats the best word I can use to describe it. Sometimes you really feel like a stranger in your own country here.
substitute "own" country with any country
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:12 pm
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Hi John Stang. I hope you have a great time too. The USA is the best. Everyone knows that. It is a nation founded on excellent principles. Many people in this world are very envious of Americans, but never mind them. My favourite thing about living in America is the lack of miserable, condescending, oh aren't we so superior, English people. Have a nice day!
Thing I love about UK Mojo is you ain't here messing with my Mojo.
Love the States great country I work for an American company so no issue for me on that part.
Thing is wherever you live there is plenty of good stuff and crap, one side question I have read the Visa forum with interest on H1B is it my imagination or is everyone applying for it and asking queries on it from India working in IT?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Life is good and bad here. I think if you come and are open to a new experience, then it should be ok. It is very cold right now though! UGH!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:56 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Currently I am enjoying living here. There have been many topic of discussion on here about the US as a whole - life, culture, politics, society etc . I tend to think that its all in your frame of mind - if you go into it with looking for the bad, then all you are going to see is bad; and vice versa for the good... its almost bipolar! Nowhere is perfect but it suits the needs for now and I should think those needs will change too in days to come.

The only thing that I will never fully comprehend is the choice of vocabulary for events and problems... I mean, if you look at it, the US is a combative place - War on terror...War against Drugs... Fight on poverty... Battle against obesity, cancer, this that and the other.... everything and the kitchen sink. Ptoey. It subtly influences attitude and behavior. I don't think it promotes being proactive on the matter but rather it disassociates and masks oneself as a contributing factor to the issue itself. The result is that we are far to quick to blame something else for the "misfortunes" which exist in the world... classic example is global warming... it is revered as an entity which is to blame when in fact we are a contributing factor to it in the first place. One gets a lot of public cheering when we "tackle" something but often enough the tackle isn't the solution - its just an illusion of problem solving; its a brush off and a general pat on the back..... its Miller Time. (not John Miller that is!!)

Overall, what I said isn't enough to make me unhappy about living here, I am merely confused and stumped about the necessity and obsession to use such choice of words......... We shall now stand and sing hymn number 3 - Charlotte Elliot's "Watch & Pray"
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:25 am
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point

JohnStang:

I think you'll like being in America.

I lived in London in 1996 and have lived in 8 states in the US. For better or worse, here's my assessment.

Columbus, Ohio-- conformist snobs
Brookville, Indiana -- heartland of America, very nice people in Indiana.
Kansas City, Missouri-- Very nice down to earth people, but boring as crap
Oklahoma City - ditto Kansas City
Albuquerque, new Mexico--- pretty mountains, but you'll get knifed at school if you don't know what your race card is
Dallas, Texas-- I've lived in Texas 20 years. What I like most is that the people are very friendly. What I like least is that it is very materialistic here and you can lose all sense of reality.

I have friends from Boston. They wouldn't ever move back. It is not nearly as friendly up there as here. People drive like they are trying to kill you.

Chicago seems good, although blizzards are common. Denver seems nice, blizzards there too.

California is very fruity. Everyone in America thinks mostly fruit loops live there.

In General, on the East coast people are more conformist. In Boston, there is more history, so it would be interesting for you.

In the West, people are more open and welcoming. They don't expect you to conform or try to exclude you because you are different.

I moved a lot while growing up, so learned a lot on this.

Tampa Florida is supposed to be nice, but not a lot of jobs there.

There are tons of jobs in Dallas. Lots of businesses here.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:27 am
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point

John

I wanted to move back to London, but have been hearing so many horror stories and so many Brits wanting the heck out.

I love British culture and people. But, England has been taken over by aliens.

I don't blame you for wanting to try America.

You can always go home again. You have nothing to lose at this stage of your life to try it. You won't regret it.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzpfc View Post
is it my imagination or is everyone applying for it and asking queries on it from India working in IT?
That does seem to be the case ... better educated it seems ..
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Je Crois View Post

I have friends from Boston. They wouldn't ever move back. It is not nearly as friendly up there as here. People drive like they are trying to kill you.
That sums up most of the states though....most of the driving is rubbish....as for unfriendly...I think it's more they have a tight guard about them.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Je Crois View Post
John

I wanted to move back to London, but have been hearing so many horror stories and so many Brits wanting the heck out.

I love British culture and people. But, England has been taken over by aliens.

I don't blame you for wanting to try America.

You can always go home again. You have nothing to lose at this stage of your life to try it. You won't regret it.
I do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.