British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How are you enjoying life in the USA right now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-you-enjoying-life-usa-right-now-429886/)

JohnStang Feb 23rd 2007 5:20 pm

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

I am moving there soonish to start University in August. I hope I have a really great time. My family who live in America right now love it. What is your favorite thing about living in America???

Leeds_Lass Feb 23rd 2007 5:24 pm

Re: How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

this thread has some interesting discussions about life in the US.

Me personally, I'm not loving it here but not hating it either. I live in a very rural part of the country and am missing a lot of the city life in Leeds. It all depends on where you move and what you like.

Where will you be living?

JohnStang Feb 23rd 2007 5:45 pm

Massachusetts. Is there a lot of pretty countryside there? I think Blair Witch Project was filmed there wasn\'t it? I would really like to be able to go roaming around the New England countryside.

Manc Feb 25th 2007 8:09 pm

Blair Witch was filmed in Maryland.

The Appalachian trial runs right through Massachussetts

penguinsix Feb 25th 2007 8:11 pm

Blair With was filmed in Western Maryland, which does, in fact, look kind of like Western Mass. What school are you going to attend?

Manc Feb 25th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4446725)
What is your favorite thing about living in America???

flying home for a bit.

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 4454079)
flying home for a bit.

A bit of what?

Manc Feb 26th 2007 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4454892)
A bit of what?

I am a Mod I can't say what I wanna say.

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2007 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 4454895)
I am a Mod I can't say what I wanna say.

Never stopped you before. ;)

Long time no see. How's life on the open roads?

Manc Feb 26th 2007 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4454915)
How's life on the open roads?

been in snow ice and whiteouts perpetually for 2 weeks.
feels like f**king groundhog day

NC Penguin Feb 26th 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 4454936)

Back in MI, eh? :D

NC Penguin

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2007 2:50 am

Good to see you back...looks like you've sent all that snow and ice our way.

Ray Feb 26th 2007 2:51 am

been in snow ice and whiteouts perpetually for 2 weeks.feels like f**king groundhog day

Oh ..what a terrible thing .... lol....

AdobePinon Feb 26th 2007 2:52 am

Good grief, Manc. Here ya go!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ahmbulance.jpg

Maz Feb 26th 2007 3:14 am

I am moving there soonish to start University in August. I hope I have a really great time. My family who live in America right now love it. What is your favorite thing about living in America???

Leaving it. :lol:

Want to buy our house? :D :rofl:

Maz Feb 26th 2007 3:14 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 4454971)

Ditto! Waaah waaah waaah! :lol:

Bob Feb 26th 2007 3:47 am

...What is your favorite thing about living in America???

right on red.

and the missus.

Not in that order...in case she reads this :D

Bob Feb 26th 2007 3:49 am

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4446799)
Massachusetts. Is there a lot of pretty countryside there? I think Blair Witch Project was filmed there wasn\'t it? I would really like to be able to go roaming around the New England countryside.

Western Mass....as in way past I-495, past Worcester...that's rural farmland boonies...very pretty out there, but sod all jobs...but affordable housing...further east, more expensive....Mass ain't a bad state though, but the drink laws are shite and it's pretty conservative around here...and the road ploughing, apart from the pike, is utterly crap...the dodgy back streets of Maine were in better shape.

JohnStang Feb 26th 2007 9:01 am

I am going to U Mass Amherst. ANyway, I heard New England has lots of pretty fields and open spaces - like in that movie Sleepy Hollow. I would also like to go out to Ithaca in New York. How long does it take to get from Boston to New York on train? Can I do a day trip to New York like that??? Also does Beverly area have a lot of crime? DO you think the New England area of America is the best part of America to live in??

Hiro11 Feb 26th 2007 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4455589)
I am going to U Mass Amherst.

I grew up in Amherst. It's full of hippys, academics, cheap weed and good produce. There are five colleges in the area so all of the above sort of follows. The area is very beautiful with rolling hills, lots of farmland, little streams, the amazing Connecticut River and good hiking. I hope you like being outdoors. The town has a very liberal reputation that is well earned. Neighboring Northampton is the spiritual Mecca of many American lesbians (not sure how else to explain it). UMass is a bit of a party school with a so-so reputation in most fields (listen to "UMass" by the Pixies, it's very accurate). In general, I have very fond memories of the Pioneer Valley.

ANyway, I heard New England has lots of pretty fields and open spaces - like in that movie Sleepy Hollow.
...all filmed in a studio and it's set in the Hudson River Valley (not New England). But yes, New England is very green and pretty in general.

I would also like to go out to Ithaca in New York.
In God's name, why? Grim little town.

How long does it take to get from Boston to New York on train?
Car: 3.5 hrs. Train 5 hrs. or 3 hrs depending on how much you pay and how lucky you get with the scheduling. Amtrak kinda blows.

Can I do a day trip to New York like that???
No, it's too long and exhausting a trip. Also, NYC's a little too big to be absorbed in one day.

Also does Beverly area have a lot of crime?
Beverly's a blue collar North Shore resort town. It's very safe, but almost two hours drive from Amherst, why are you interested in it?

DO you think the New England area of America is the best part of America to live in??
Define best? Also, it's hard to lump all of New England together, for example the Boston area could not be any more different than Northern Maine. The Connecticut coast is nothing like the Green Mountains.

TouristTrap Feb 26th 2007 12:45 pm

It's full of hippys, academics, cheap weed and good produce
I'm in the wrong town :rofl: :lol: :lol:

Triumphrob Feb 26th 2007 3:41 pm

Absolutly nothing! It aint all that.............

Bob Feb 26th 2007 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4455589)
I am going to U Mass Amherst. ANyway, I heard New England has lots of pretty fields and open spaces - like in that movie Sleepy Hollow. I would also like to go out to Ithaca in New York. How long does it take to get from Boston to New York on train? Can I do a day trip to New York like that??? Also does Beverly area have a lot of crime? DO you think the New England area of America is the best part of America to live in??

To NY....4-5 hours...driving would be a mare, parking a bigger mare.

Don't know Amherst....do know UMass is a party school.

As for open fields and the like...out in western mass, sure...but nothing like the parks you'd be use to tbh, you won't be able to turn up and expect an impromtu footie kick around with random people without major planning for instance.

NE is nice, but it's huge, it includes Maine, Vermont, New Hamshire, Rhode Island, and some say Connecticut, well they do, the rest call them part of the Tri-State :lol:

So each area has good and bad parts, it's like asking is the North of England nice or a shit hole.

JohnStang Feb 26th 2007 4:48 pm

My sister lives in Beverly, she said it was quite nice, but very cold. She says its so cold they can barely go outside. I want to apply to good Universities in the Massachusetts or nearby states area, good schools for sciences and engineering. I have been accepted in to University of Manchester in England, but I dont see the point in living in England where I have no family as they are all in America. I also heard Colorado, Fort Collins is really nice but that is a long way from my family. I like to be surrounded by nature and to go camping and also biking. I dont really drink or do drugs, but of course I love girls like any guy.

gruffbrown Feb 26th 2007 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4456848)
but of course I love girls like any guy.

You swing both ways?

JohnStang Feb 26th 2007 4:53 pm

No I mean that I am like most men, assuming that most men enjoy female companionship.

gruffbrown Feb 26th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4456872)
No I mean that I am like most men, assuming that most men enjoy female companionship.

I can see you're going to fit right in, in the USA John.

Bob Feb 26th 2007 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4456848)
My sister lives in Beverly, she said it was quite nice, but very cold. She says its so cold they can barely go outside. I want to apply to good Universities in the Massachusetts or nearby states area, good schools for sciences and engineering...

This isn't cold, by any means.

Well engineering, you can't be MIT, in Cambridge...but I've listed a list of schools earlier.

Ray Feb 26th 2007 6:04 pm

Not neccesarily in SF or Miami ..

Moji Feb 26th 2007 6:29 pm

Hi John Stang. I hope you have a great time too. The USA is the best. Everyone knows that. It is a nation founded on excellent principles. Many people in this world are very envious of Americans, but never mind them. My favourite thing about living in America is the lack of miserable, condescending, oh aren't we so superior, English people. Have a nice day!

cabritpop Feb 26th 2007 6:30 pm

Look if you are gay, it's not a problem on this forum.

Ray Feb 26th 2007 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4457382)
Look if you are gay, it's not a problem on this forum.

Lots of poofters here .....

gruffbrown Feb 26th 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Moji (Post 4457377)
Many people in this world are very envious of Americans, but never mind them. My favourite thing about living in America is the lack of miserable, condescending, oh aren't we so superior, English people. Have a nice day!

You are joking, aren't you?

Triumphrob Feb 26th 2007 6:43 pm

Hi John Stang. I hope you have a great time too. The USA is the best. Everyone knows that. It is a nation founded on excellent principles. Many people in this world are very envious of Americans, but never mind them. My favourite thing about living in America is the lack of miserable, condescending, oh aren't we so superior, English people. Have a nice day!

Your so right. I would hate to move back to England and never have to deal with an arrogant, "best country in the world" narrow minded person again.

JohnStang Feb 26th 2007 7:20 pm

England is a strange place these days - thats the best word I can use to describe it. Sometimes you really feel like a stranger in your own country here.

Bob Feb 26th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by JohnStang (Post 4457661)
England is a strange place these days - thats the best word I can use to describe it. Sometimes you really feel like a stranger in your own country here.

substitute "own" country with any country :)

gazzpfc Feb 26th 2007 10:12 pm

Thing I love about UK Mojo is you ain't here messing with my Mojo.
Love the States great country I work for an American company so no issue for me on that part.
Thing is wherever you live there is plenty of good stuff and crap, one side question I have read the Visa forum with interest on H1B is it my imagination or is everyone applying for it and asking queries on it from India working in IT?

britvic Feb 26th 2007 10:16 pm

:rofl:

simongb Feb 27th 2007 12:44 am

Life is good and bad here. I think if you come and are open to a new experience, then it should be ok. It is very cold right now though! UGH!

Tarkak9 Feb 28th 2007 3:56 pm

Currently I am enjoying living here. There have been many topic of discussion on here about the US as a whole - life, culture, politics, society etc . I tend to think that its all in your frame of mind - if you go into it with looking for the bad, then all you are going to see is bad; and vice versa for the good... its almost bipolar! Nowhere is perfect but it suits the needs for now and I should think those needs will change too in days to come.

The only thing that I will never fully comprehend is the choice of vocabulary for events and problems... I mean, if you look at it, the US is a combative place - War on terror...War against Drugs... Fight on poverty... Battle against obesity, cancer, this that and the other.... everything and the kitchen sink. Ptoey. It subtly influences attitude and behavior. I don't think it promotes being proactive on the matter but rather it disassociates and masks oneself as a contributing factor to the issue itself. The result is that we are far to quick to blame something else for the "misfortunes" which exist in the world... classic example is global warming... it is revered as an entity which is to blame when in fact we are a contributing factor to it in the first place. One gets a lot of public cheering when we "tackle" something but often enough the tackle isn't the solution - its just an illusion of problem solving; its a brush off and a general pat on the back..... its Miller Time. (not John Miller that is!!)

Overall, what I said isn't enough to make me unhappy about living here, I am merely confused and stumped about the necessity and obsession to use such choice of words......... We shall now stand and sing hymn number 3 - Charlotte Elliot's "Watch & Pray" :D