Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:07 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are you enjoying life in the USA right now?

I'm pretty happy here, I must say. I have a great house, nice friends, fab job, enough money, all the gadgets and toys I could want and I have reached a point where I can balance my work time with my play time. I've had some health issues recently and so I am glad to be here with good insurance, rather than in the UK in a long queue. Bad things are that I miss my family and friends, I miss the culture and the humour and the food. When I do go home though, I do agree that England is starting to get a bit strange. When I see TV shows and commercials and stuff, I sometimes feel like an alien. I hate the way the culture is going downhill and the yoof seem to be menacing society even more than before. I feel very resticted and claustrophobic when I go home now and I never thought that would happen. Americans still annoy me a lot. I hate the me me me culture and the selfishness, but I do like the way I can do what I want when I want which I felt I couldn't in England. Money always felt a restrictive factor in England. Everyone is always broke at home, and friends still live with Mum or in shared flats, whereas here I feel comfortable and don't worry, and I feel well compensated for my job.

It's never going to be perfect. There are things you'll miss and things you won't, and things you'll love and hate about the USA. You just have to grow as a person and see if it's closer to your ideal or not. I honestly don't think I could live in England again now. I feel like I've been spoiled.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:33 am
Just Joined

tls1974 will become famous soon enoughtls1974 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally
I do
Why? Don't mean to be nosey but I plan to move out to Cali so if there's anything really dire I should know, now would be a good time....
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:08 am
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I\'m pretty happy here, I must say. I have a great house, nice friends, fab job, enough money, all the gadgets and toys I could want and I have reached a point where I can balance my work time with my play time. I\'ve had some health issues recently and so I am glad to be here with good insurance, rather than in the UK in a long queue. Bad things are that I miss my family and friends, I miss the culture and the humour and the food. When I do go home though, I do agree that England is starting to get a bit strange. When I see TV shows and commercials and stuff, I sometimes feel like an alien. I hate the way the culture is going downhill and the yoof seem to be menacing society even more than before. I feel very resticted and claustrophobic when I go home now and I never thought that would happen. Americans still annoy me a lot. I hate the me me me culture and the selfishness, but I do like the way I can do what I want when I want which I felt I couldn\'t in England. Money always felt a restrictive factor in England. Everyone is always broke at home, and friends still live with Mum or in shared flats, whereas here I feel comfortable and don\'t worry, and I feel well compensated for my job.
Everyone in England that I know is still living with their parents. Every single person. And I am not that young. Also, you are right about England being taken over by all sorts of people. Now where I live we get A LOT of beggars or some strange youths that looks like he is from god knows what country coming up to you in the street offering to sell you stolen jewelery. Everyday I get harassed by beggars, and sometimes if they dont like the way you say no or something, they get abusive. Anyway, my sister says she has changed her mind about Massachusetts - she now says most people are rude, people drive like they are insane and she feels too isolated.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:36 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnStang
. Now where I live we get A LOT of beggars Everyday I get harassed by beggars, and sometimes if they dont like the way you say no or something, they get abusive.
I hate to tell you this and burst your bubble John, but there are beggars in America aswell. Also in some states, thay are even allowed to shoot you, if you turn down their request for money. just thought i'd give you an heads up.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone in England that I know is still living with their parents. Every single person. And I am not that young. Also, you are right about England being taken over by all sorts of people. Now where I live we get A LOT of beggars or some strange youths that looks like he is from god knows what country coming up to you in the street offering to sell you stolen jewelery. Everyday I get harassed by beggars, and sometimes if they dont like the way you say no or something, they get abusive. Anyway, my sister says she has changed her mind about Massachusetts - she now says most people are rude, people drive like they are insane and she feels too isolated.
So do you think you'll be a better class of immigrant? And you'll get panhandlers here that'll chase you down the street if they feel like it.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:50 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
Also in some states, thay are even allowed to shoot you, if you turn down their request for money.
Really.

Please tell us, in which states is it legal for a beggar to shoot you for not giving him money?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Really.

Please tell us, in which states is it legal for a beggar to shoot you for not giving him money?
I was taking the pi$$, the micheal, having a laugh. I thought that was obvious, with all due respect it really is true that alot of Americans don't always get the British sense of humour.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:14 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nethead
So do you think you\\\'ll be a better class of immigrant? And you\\\'ll get panhandlers here that\\\'ll chase you down the street if they feel like it.
If you are suggesting that I am going to be selling stolen goods, then no - I wont be doing that, so I will be a better immigrant than the people we are getting where I currently live. Also I will be pumping lots of money into the local economy paying international rates as a student. Really, unless you have seen where I live right now, you cant comment.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:48 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Really.

well he did have the wink icon! Although there is a right to shoot law or "stand your ground"or also called “shoot first" law in various states in this country. So I guess if a beggar does feel threatened by an adverse reaction from the begee they can legally stand their ground and shoot
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuggy
Although there is a right to shoot law or "stand your ground"or also called “shoot first" law in various states in this country.
Oh yessire Bob...........
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:56 pm
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point

John,

It is hard to be a foreigner. I've lived in London and Berlin.

Boston is tough. The people I know from there are the salt of the earth, but they would not move back because life is better in the south. They moved to Florida now to be close to family. They emphatically would not live in Boston.

Regarding someone else here who is not happy... You are in Connecticut!! The rudest state in America!!! This is yankee town. You need to move south or west. Do not stay in the East.

Also, people are not so friendly when it is cold. I've noticed this about London also.

You CAN always go back. It might not be easy, but you are not stuck anywhere.

America is very diverse. You have to pick out your lifestyle.

I live in Dallas because I prefer to be around friendly people and in a warm climate. I've lived in 8 states, about 25 towns in all. I know what I'm talking about here.

I lived in Columbus, Ohio and HATED IT. We moved west and I was happier. It is hard for someone who has not experienced these things to understand.

Things are less constricting in the south and west.

Last edited by Je Crois; Mar 4th 2007 at 4:00 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:01 pm
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding Connecticut.

I used to do a customer service job on the phone.

I would always pay attention to how people treated me and where they were from.

The meanest people were in Connecticut. The second meanest were people from Iowa. Who knows why...
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Je Crois

The meanest people were in Connecticut. The second meanest were people from Iowa. Who knows why...
In person the Iowans are generally nice and the Minnesotans are lovely.

Though Dallasites are friendly?

(okay you admit they are very materialistic)

come to Austin sometime and we'll show ya friendly.

Last edited by snowbunny; Mar 4th 2007 at 4:38 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:38 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Thing is wherever you live there is plenty of good stuff and crap, one side question I have read the Visa forum with interest on H1B is it my imagination or is everyone applying for it and asking queries on it from India working in IT?
Have you been under a rock for the last ten years?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

If you are suggesting that I am going to be selling stolen goods, then no - I wont be doing that, so I will be a better immigrant than the people we are getting where I currently live. Also I will be pumping lots of money into the local economy paying international rates as a student. Really, unless you have seen where I live right now, you cant comment.
No that's not what I was suggesting, but you seem to be suggesting that all immigrants to the UK sell stolen goods. But I guess you missed my point. How do you know I haven't seen where you live, I am British and haven't been here that long, so I'll comment all I want thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.