British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   how to wed on a visa waiver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-wed-visa-waiver-112801/)

mogsy31 Oct 12th 2002 10:48 am

how to wed on a visa waiver

hi there guys
I met my girlfriend over the net, we want to get wed this december, the trouble is as most of you guys will know, we dont want to spend another day apart, i've looked at many web sites about this and to be honest it scares me, most of them say it will take years.... so i joined this fourm to listen to people who have done what we want to do.

i want to go visit in next month and in December we want to get married, and never be apart again, trouble is she cant sponsor me cause her work does not pay enough money, of course i want to work and support us both but it looks real complicated, i would like some sound advice off of people who have been though this process,

when we wed what are the chances of being able to stay for good and be happy, thanx for any replies

Morkai Kurst Oct 12th 2002 3:18 pm

Re: how to wed on a visa waiver

If you want to do it clean and legal you are going to have to accept that it
will take time and that you will have to spend more time apart. Yes it hurts
like hell but if your relationship can't stand up to that then you aught to
be rethinking the marriage. And I'm not talking from a high and mighty point
of view. My partner and I met 4 years ago we were finally together as of 2
weeks ago.

Now from time perspective that depends entirely where you are, there are
options based on that. If you are a brit then I'd suggest you hold off the
wedding plans and go for the fiance visa which takes between 4 and 6 months
depending on the service center you are going through. You can do all the
initial filing while you are out on your visit and thus spend some of that
time period together. Other countries allow DCF which means your fiance can
come over and you both go to the consulate in your country and file. This is
by far the quickest method.

What I think you are hoping for someone to say is to go out there, get
married and adjust status without coming back to your home country. Yes this
is technically possible. Yes it is also visa fraud. If the INS have any
suspicions when you come to file for adustment to resident that you came
into the country with the explicit intent to marry they will boot you
straight back out again. And that will entail a ban from re-entering for a
period of time. And things like having conveniently quit your job and sold
your house and had all your stuph packed is going to raise eyebrows. It's
also blindingly unfair on all the people who have done this the right way.

As for sponsership your fiancee will need to get a co-sponser, this can be
anyone friend or family as long as they meet the poverty level requirements.

So tell us what country you are in and what state your fiancee is in and
you'll get some fairly realistic timelines and a more accurate idea of what
your options are. I don't think it will take years unless of course there is
something you haven't mentioned, like that she is a permanent resident
rather than a US Citizen.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.. Thats what kept me going through
all the time apart. My timeline after we filed the initial application was
approximately 4 months, you have the rest of your lives to spend together, a
few months now is a worthy price to pay.

Morkai

mogsy31 wrote:
    > hi there guys
    > I met my girlfriend over the net, we want to get wed this december,
    > the trouble is as most of you guys will know, we dont want to spend
    > another day apart, i've looked at many web sites about this and to be
    > honest it scares me, most of them say it will take years.... so i
    > joined this fourm to listen to people who have done what we want to
    > do.
    > i want to go visit in next month and in December we want to get
    > married, and never be apart again, trouble is she cant sponsor me
    > cause her work does not pay enough money, of course i want to work
    > and support us both but it looks real complicated, i would like some
    > sound advice off of people who have been though this process,
    > when we wed what are the chances of being able to stay for good and be
    > happy, thanx for any replies

britci Oct 23rd 2003 4:15 pm

Greetings

Hi there, me and my wife have been through the process of getting a visa, it takes time, were currently on a k3 and adjusting status soon....Id say marrying on a visa waiver is risky and also yous would need alot of money to do things quickly.....I wish yous well.....Id say patienc is a virtue and it would give you time to getyour file and paperwork together, start collecting info and photocopy everything....Goodluck.

Yosser Oct 23rd 2003 4:52 pm

Originally posted by mogsy31
hi there guys
I met my girlfriend over the net, we want to get wed this december, the trouble is as most of you guys will know, we dont want to spend another day apart, i've looked at many web sites about this and to be honest it scares me, most of them say it will take years.... so i joined this fourm to listen to people who have done what we want to do.

i want to go visit in next month and in December we want to get married, and never be apart again, trouble is she cant sponsor me cause her work does not pay enough money, of course i want to work and support us both but it looks real complicated, i would like some sound advice off of people who have been though this process,

when we wed what are the chances of being able to stay for good and be happy, thanx for any replies
First of all there is the correct way and the not so correct way.
Most people on this forum have gone the correct way I.E filing from their own country and waiting those agonising months.

However, I do know of someone that came over on a Visa waiver got married within the 90 days, posted all the necessary forms and paid the fee's. It took them about 3 months to get a work permit from the actual date that the INS recieved the forms, so financially you have to be prepared for a long haul, don't do it on a whim. They did not get "booted out" , wait 10 years or anything else done to them, thats a bunch of toss!

However doing it this way will delay the processing time a great deal, as with getting you social security number, then a driving license etc, etc, it will be a major pain in the arse but you can do it that way.

If you met your loved one over the 'net' maybe a few trips over there might be the way to go first and get a real feel for the place you are moving too, its alot different than you think.

Whatever your decision, good luck if you REALLY want to get married most people would do whatever they needed to do to be with that special person.

robclews Oct 23rd 2003 8:52 pm

You should post this question of the marriage related visa page on this site, you will get more of a response from there.

However, for what its worth, to enter the USA with the pre conceived intent of marriage is to enter with an immigrant intent if you do not intend to return home after the wedding. By doing this you are committing fraud, there have been cases where individuals have been removed and banned from the US, is that something you are prepared to gamble with. Ok people do get married on a spur of the moment basis and that is acceptable in the eyes of the BCIS, you will still have to satisfy the Affidavit of support issue and will need to get a co-sponsor.

A word of advise………….if you do post on the marriage related visa forum, be prepared for some very blunt answers, most of us here have done it the correct way by applying for a visa, it takes longer granted, and we all wanted to be with our loved ones, but now we all sleep at nights not looking over our shoulders. The BCIS gets tougher by the day as you will see in the papers and on the news, since 911, tolerance is low

Rob

robclews Oct 23rd 2003 8:58 pm

Also I should have mentioned that you should be aware of the Visa Waiver and Tourist Visa's, these are of non immigrant intent, if you choose to use either for entry then you are acting fraudulently as you have no intention of returning, and are using them with an immigrant intent.

Rob

Pulaski Oct 24th 2003 2:17 am

Originally posted by mogsy31 ..... of course i want to work and support us both but it looks real complicated, .....
If you want to be able to work then the easiest, quickest, and by far the least complicated is to do it the proper way and apply for a fiance's visa.

Which ever way you do it it will take time, and patience, but if you start trying to circumvent the rules you will make it difficult for yourself. There are plenty of sob stories on this site, and many of the people only have themselves to blame.

If you want to play ball with Uncle Sam then do yourself a favor and play by Uncle Sam's rules. :)