Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to Watch Decent UK TV live?

Wikiposts

How to Watch Decent UK TV live?

Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:27 am
Banned

TakeItEasy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to Watch Decent UK TV live?

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
I have simular bandwidth issues, anybody know of any good pay VPN services that give good bandwidth?
I've been using https://www.pc-streaming.com/store for my UK IP address for about 18 months now.
Not the cheapest but they do have a Christmas discount sale on at the moment. Works a treat.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:44 am
Just Joined

CarlWain74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TakeItEasy
I've been using https://www.pc-streaming.com/store for my UK IP address for about 18 months now.
Not the cheapest but they do have a Christmas discount sale on at the moment. Works a treat.
Hi all,

I have been using the instructions in this guide to source UK proxy and I have had no trouble streaming content from the iPlayer (sometimes you need to give it a few page refreshes)

http://www.kaisersblog.com/2009/01/h...side-us-or-uk/

Also if you fancy paying for a good VPN/Proxy with good bandwidth then check this out. They seem to have a discount on yearly services.

http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk/vpn-s...uk-vpn-server/

Also for the Mac users there is this application which works in the US without a proxy. Note that the quality on some downloads is not high quality, but I stream all content to a 26" LCD screen and it is watchable.

http://tom-tech.com/iplayer_automato...Automator.html

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:09 am
Just Joined

barryincrete is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only good things to say about ADTelly VPN. It is inexpensive at £5.50/month and comes with a toolbar system as well which is brilliant. Also, the VPN connection does not stay on your PC. It auto installs when you connect and auto un-installs when you disconnect. http://www.adtelly.tv

Never really saw the point of messing about with slingboxes and linking from friends broadband connections in the UK when you can just do a couple of mouse clicks and be watching the beeb.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:55 pm
Banned

Yes, I agree about the Slingbox, just too much messing about.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

£20 a month on sale? Is this really better than the other £5 a month services (like the one below, I use a similar one)? Does it give you any other benefits do you know?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

dottydilly is an unknown quantity at this point

installed free vpn.....went to bbc iplayer...says cant watch as not in uk...?????
come on someone help with a free link for us decent tv starved people
Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dottydilly
installed free vpn.....went to bbc iplayer...says cant watch as not in uk...?????
come on someone help with a free link for us decent tv starved people
the UK servers got yanked as it was being over used apparently.

best option is torrent really.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

barryincrete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
the UK servers got yanked as it was being over used apparently.

best option is torrent really.
There's no such thing as a free lunch! And torrents are illegal and getting squeezed out. TPB, Mininova, Vuze...one by one they are going.

@emailrob. If a company has a professional VPN service, then there is no difference at all between ones costing £5,50 and ones costing £20 per month. Except the price. Maybe you get a German and USA option with some but, for me, that was of little or no value.

@dottydilly. I'm sorry, but one look at that Free VPN website should have been enough to show anyone how professional they are. It looked like something bad from 1995. If they can not put a decent site up I would worry about the service they offer.

Last edited by barryincrete; Dec 18th 2009 at 8:35 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 5:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barryincrete
There's no such thing as a free lunch! And torrents are illegal and getting squeezed out. TPB, Mininova, Vuze...one by one they are going.
Depends where you live, torrents of themselves aren't illegal, and downloading isn't illegal for those in Canada.

Vuze is just a client for all people use it for and there's plenty of sites replacing mininova etc.

It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 5:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting new site:
http://www.nerrot.com/

As the reviews say, it even makes Google look cluttered!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Drakule will become famous soon enough

Another option is to subscribe to newsgroups if you have a look at the TV and documentary section of http://nzbmatrix.com/index.php it has all the regular BBC / ITV stuff Corrie .. Eastenders ..Footy ..Rugby Hell even Countryfile
You do need a usenet client to download( http://www.giganews.com/?gclid=CN-ex...FY8A4wodjDsmJw does a free 14 day trial ) but i assure you if you have a fast broadband you are downloading at full throttle unlike torrent sites which are peer to peer , in my case i have 8 mb broadband and can get a 700 mb film downloaded in 10 minutes with Most BBC programmes you are looking at around 400 Mb so thats 5 minutes time enough to break open a can and get the HP on the chips
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by emailrob
£20 a month on sale? Is this really better than the other £5 a month services (like the one below, I use a similar one)? Does it give you any other benefits do you know?
As far as I'm aware the pricing is on a sliding scale, the longer the time period, the cheaper it is. One month is 20 GBP but 12 months works out at 11 GBP per month.
As for benefits, it gains access to everything, all the BBC channels plus iplayer, all ITV channels plus the ITV Player, CH4 On-Demand, Demand 5. It gets into everything.
But I guess the main benefit is it's unlimited bandwidth. Look at post Nº 36, I can assure you that doesn't happen. Has never let me down.
I know they also have multiple back up ip addresses in case of being found out and blocked by the likes of the BBC. I guess they have to be paid for.
It's just a very good service which has never let me down.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Drakule
Another option is to subscribe to newsgroups
First rule of newsgroups - don't talk about newsgroups
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by emailrob
First rule of newsgroups - don't talk about newsgroups
those things are a pain though...paying for a server? what happened to them being free with every isp back in the day....and ironic having to pay to use one when it's usually to get out of paying for content in the first place
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
those things are a pain though...paying for a server? what happened to them being free with every isp back in the day....and ironic having to pay to use one when it's usually to get out of paying for content in the first place

Yeah the irony is wonderful. Most ISPs have dumped free support so not much choice. But I like the organization, speed, convenience over torrents. And I'm not sharing or re-distributing...which seems (at the moment) to be the focus of groups like the RIAA. Will be happy to remain under the radar as long as i/we can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.