Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How unfurnished is unfurnished?

How unfurnished is unfurnished?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

westnick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How unfurnished is unfurnished?

So I know that most rental properties come unfurnished. But just how empty are they? I take it that there will be no beds etc. But will there be major kitchen appliances (fridge, washing machine, dishwasher) etc?

Does it depend on whether you take a private rental or from a condo building (in NYC)?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:27 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How unfurnished is unfurnished?

our first house rental was a private let (they were unable at that time to sell the house so were letting it out to offset mortgage). It had fridge/freezer, cooker, microwave and dishwasher but no washing machine or any furniture.

Second rental was though an agency. Had a cooker, dishwasher and microwave. We had to bring our own washer and dryer (which we had bought for last rental) and we also had to buy a fridge/freezer. No other furniture again supplied.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MsElui
our first house rental was a private let (they were unable at that time to sell the house so were letting it out to offset mortgage). It had fridge/freezer, cooker, microwave and dishwasher but no washing machine or any furniture.

Second rental was though an agency. Had a cooker, dishwasher and microwave. We had to bring our own washer and dryer (which we had bought for last rental) and we also had to buy a fridge/freezer. No other furniture again supplied.
So did you buy furniture or rent it?

D
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

company shipped it over - so wasnt an issue (we didnt bring any appliances tho). Whilst we waited for it we bought temp furniture (ie fold up table/chairs etc from a superstore, and treated ourselves to a new Bed.

the furniture rental place I saw looked a bit grubby and the styles left a lot to be desired. Seemed quite expensive for the long term too - okay for a month or twos emergency but not for more.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westnick
So I know that most rental properties come unfurnished. But just how empty are they? I take it that there will be no beds etc. But will there be major kitchen appliances (fridge, washing machine, dishwasher) etc?

Does it depend on whether you take a private rental or from a condo building (in NYC)?
Ours has 2 built in ovens, a microwave, a gas hob, an integrated dishwasher and that's it as far as the kitchen/laundry is concerned.

No other appliances and not a scrap of furniture.

I was very upset when our landlords said they were taking the curtains, blinds and window dressings as it's just not something we do in the UK when letting. But they did, and that's that. There are plantation blinds up so we do at least have something at the windows, but nothing 'pretty'.

I'm used to it now, but if we were here longer/permanently, I'd put something up.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to MsElui - our rental didn't have a stick of furniture, but had cooker, microwave and dishwasher. No washer/dryer or fridge freezer. I think some of the rental houses we looked at did have the fridge/freezer included, but not the one we chose.

We looked into renting furniture while waiting for ours to get shipped across, but it was simply too expensive to be worth it. We made do with a few cheap bits from IKEA until our stuff arrived.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends.

Usually includes a cooker and fridge, will say if it includes dish washer and washer/dryer otherwise don't count on them....microwave you get on your own.

As for furniture, IKEA is having a huge sale and has quite a lot going really cheap right now if you need a few of the basics.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:23 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

we got an unfurnished apartment and it came weith fridgefreezer, oven, dishwasher and microwave. we rent our washer and dryer for $24 a month. We were lucky to get the light fixtures/ceiling fans as the people who lived here before had bought them, installed them and left them behind - the day we moved in the complex people were removing them - i was like ummm they were there when we viewed the place so i want them to stay!!! Luckily for us thy did otherwise we would have had to fork out for lights in every room and the ceiling fans are a big must!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Every apartment I've ever rented had a range (stove/oven combo) and a fridge. Our last place had a microwave. A few places have had a dishwasher, but not all of them. You wouldn't be able to rent a place without a fridge or a stove around here - it's unheard of. I gather, though, from the responses that this isn't always the norm.

EDIT: As far as overhead lighting, it's usually not been included in the bedrooms and living area. Dining area, kitchen and bathrooms had overhead lighting, but we had to buy lamps or install lights (if possible) in the rest.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 3rd 2008 at 10:29 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:50 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

ah didnt even think to mention that. Most rooms in both houses didnt have overhead lights at all. They seem to prefer to have plug in lamps worked by light switches here so you have to go around and try every socket with a lamp to see which one works with the switch.

We had to buy standard lamps or bedside lamps for most rooms like lounge, dinig room, bedrooms, study etc. Kitchen and hall seem to be with lights.

we are actually building our own home at the moment and have specified ceiling lights in each room as that is what we are more comfortable with.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:19 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Our apartment here in Houston has a Fridge/Freezer, Dishwasher, Cooker, Microwave and Full Size Washing Machine & Tumble Dryer. We rented furniture from a place called Corts. Two bedroom sets, living room set, dining set, bathroom stuff and kitchen stuff - it costs aprox $650 per month. Our air shipment arrived in a fortnight with essentials (toys etc) and the rest of our stuff is in storage (only took 4 weeks to get it here) until our new house is complete - 6 weeks fingers crossed.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:58 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in an NYC condo, I'd say you're unlikely to have a washer/dryer in your apt. You might have a communal mini-launderette in the basement, or you might have to take it either to a drop-off service or a laundromat.

Also, if you want Ikea stuff for peanuts - check craigslist.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that the other replies are not from people who have rented in NYC. All together different in NYC as opposed even to upstate New York.

NYC unfurnished means no furniture but there will be a stove and refrigerator. There will not be a washer and dryer (they are not usually allowed in apartments) but there will be a laundry somewhere in the building for you to do wash for a cost. Most likely, unless it is a private house where you rent an apartment or a new co-op or condo rental, will not have a dishwasher. There will also not be any rugs or air conditioning. Unless it is a rental in a private house, you will not have to pay for heat or a water bill.

NYC rentals will ask for one month's security depost and one month's rent right off. Unless you can afford to rent from the owner of a co-op or condo, you will be dealing with a rental agent and/or superintendent of a building. In NYC proper a studio apartment (which means no bedroom) will rent from $1500 (undesirable neighborhood) to $3,500 a month and one bedrooms from $3,500 and upwards. Rent Stablized apartments become destablized once the tenant moves out meaning you will pay the highest rent accorded for that type of apartment. Some older units which are rent controlled might be subleased but don't count on it as NYC's housing authority is cracking down on that.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 4th 2008 at 2:37 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

ah didnt even think to mention that. Most rooms in both houses didnt have overhead lights at all. They seem to prefer to have plug in lamps worked by light switches here so you have to go around and try every socket with a lamp to see which one works with the switch.
I was told that the switched socket should be installed "upside down" with the earth pins at the top to identify it, I'm not sure if this is a universal thing though.
All mine were connected to the wall switches but the connecting tab between the two outlets had not been broken so the switch didn't work, took a bit of head scratching before I figured it out.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

We had to buy standard lamps or bedside lamps for most rooms like lounge, dinig room, bedrooms, study etc. Kitchen and hall seem to be with lights.

we are actually building our own home at the moment and have specified ceiling lights in each room as that is what we are more comfortable with.
I hate that! Three years in and I'm still not used to it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.