Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to travel to UK with no USA passport

How to travel to UK with no USA passport

Old Oct 1st 2021, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Eeteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to travel to UK with no USA passport

Just wanted to follow up, as the whole system is a dumb cluster freak, as you come to expect, I guess. This may help other people.

So basically, you have to have a flight leaving within two weeks in order to call and book an appointment. However , they will only book an appoitintment for up to 3 days out before flight INCLUDING day of flight, so really limited options.

Probably ok for some places, however, busy places like Miami are insane. I called today at exactly 8am ( opening time,) and was on hold for 25 mins. The ONLY slot they had was on the SAME DAY of my booked flight ! I would literally have to be at the passport agency at the same time as being on the flight ! How freaked up is that ?? Lol.

Anyway, I obvioysly had to take the slot,.then change my flight to two days later, just to actual get a passport and fly. Crazy !
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

For somebody reading this thread in the future looking for advice the solution, if you have an imminent overseas trip booked, is to schedule the oath ceremony for after the trip.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
For somebody reading this thread in the future looking for advice the solution, if you have an imminent overseas trip booked, is to schedule the oath ceremony for after the trip.
I disagree.
Firstly, you do not get a scheduling " choice " for the ceremony- you have to just take what you are given and it can be months after passing the test.

Secondly, this thread is about when you have to travel AFTER the oath ceremony, as passports can take 3-4 MONTHS right now.

Either way, it still serves to highlight how ridiculous the system is, when you can be booked into a slot at the same time you are supposed to be flying, FORCING you to have to change your flight.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeteet
Firstly, you do not get a scheduling " choice " for the ceremony- you have to just take what you are given and it can be months after passing the test.
You do get a choice. You might have to ask, but plenty here have changed their ceremony date. I was even asked if the date offered was convenient, or if I wanted another date.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
You do get a choice. You might have to ask, but plenty here have changed their ceremony date. I was even asked if the date offered was convenient, or if I wanted another date.
Well, that was not my experience, I did the test, then got a letter with oath date about 6 weeks later, with an appointment for 5 weeks away.

Anyway, the point is, for those, like me, who cannot travel before oath ceremony, there is good info here on how to go about it.

For those that can/ do travel before oath ceremony, they can obviously disregard.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
So you’re going to start off life as a citizen by lying to a government official just to jump the passport queue? Great one.

FWIW I got my citizenship in the middle of COVID also. Called st the post office on my way home from the USCIS office with Naturalisation certificate in hand. Passport was received less than 4 weeks later. That wasn’t even the expedited service. No lying needed.
some call it a lie, others call it being smart and finding a loophole. let us know how u get on....
Old Oct 4th 2021, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeteet
Well, that was not my experience, I did the test, then got a letter with oath date about 6 weeks later, with an appointment for 5 weeks away.

Anyway, the point is, for those, like me, who cannot travel before oath ceremony, there is good info here on how to go about it.

For those that can/ do travel before oath ceremony, they can obviously disregard.
I told the officer at my citizenship interview that I had imminent travel planned, and she made sure my oath was scheduled for after I returned.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
I told the officer at my citizenship interview that I had imminent travel planned, and she made sure my oath was scheduled for after I returned.
I did not know I had to travel, until after the ceremony.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
some call it a lie, others call it being smart and finding a loophole. let us know how u get on....
Don't start with your crap again. A lie is a lie, whatever you chose to call it.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How to travel to UK with no USA passport

Originally Posted by civilservant
Don't start with your crap again. A lie is a lie, whatever you chose to call it.
chill honey, it amuses me how much I annoy u. im entitled to my opinion, I think he's smart. who the hell cares about technicalities, you cant prove or disprove that he "intended' to take a flight or not. I bet ur one of those people who chooses the lane with the most traffic whilst cursing at drivers overtaking you
Old Oct 6th 2021, 8:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Your continued bastardization of the English language most certainly annoys me.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Love your fellow countrymen and women, please.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by civilservant
Your continued bastardization of the English language most certainly annoys me.
good. mission accomplished
Old Oct 7th 2021, 1:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

"A loophole is an ambiguity or inadequacy in a system, such as a law or security, which can be used to circumvent or otherwise avoid the purpose, implied or explicitly stated, of the system."

Lie: "T
o make an untrue statement with intent to deceive."

.../helpful

Sometimes the law (or system) is an ass, and sometimes it's not. But queue jumping is never going to be well-received on a site largely populated by British people.

And text speak is not generally used by adults unless they are actually texting... Imo of course.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:01 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by destone
Wow! Love your fellow countrymen and women, please.
Ain't nothing the 'Ignore' button didn't cure.

And text speak is not generally used by adults unless they are actually texting... Imo of course.
I see what you did there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.