British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How to travel to UK with no USA passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-travel-uk-no-usa-passport-940758/)

Eeteet Sep 20th 2021 5:23 pm

How to travel to UK with no USA passport

Hi,
After 10 years of being in USA, I just did the Citizen thing.
Anyway, they took away my green card, which is what I always used for the Global Entry scanner.

My question is, how do I travel to and from the UK, with no green card, and no USA passport ( it takes time to get one) ? Can I use the Neuralization Certificate they game me, or something?

Or do I just use my UK passport? But if I do that , the airline systems and United app for example know I am USA resident and ask for proof . thx

thx

lansbury Sep 20th 2021 5:42 pm

Re: How to travel to UK with no USA passport

You need a US passport.

tht Sep 20th 2021 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eeteet (Post 13053569)
Hi,
After 10 years of being in USA, I just did the Citizen thing.
Anyway, they took away my green card, which is what I always used for the Global Entry scanner.

My question is, how do I travel to and from the UK, with no green card, and no USA passport ( it takes time to get one) ? Can I use the Neuralization Certificate they game me, or something?

Or do I just use my UK passport? But if I do that , the airline systems and United app for example know I am USA resident and ask for proof . thx

thx

You should be able to travel to the UK without much issue if you have a valid UK passport.

I assume what you are asking is how do you get back in to the US without a US passport?

As a side note, once you get your US passport you need to take it to a Global Entry interview site (some require an appointment) you can’t update your citizenship before they verify it. Global entry will be tied to you US Passport. I did not do this and it caused issues with Pre at a domestic airport because something was out of sync.

jjmb Sep 20th 2021 9:15 pm

We applied locally the day after our naturalization ceremony. Got it within a week but that was 10 yrs ago. I would do it as soon as possible as apparently there is a 3 month backlog. We are just about to applied for a renewal. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ing-times.html

Eeteet Sep 20th 2021 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 13053655)
We applied locally the day after our naturalization ceremony. Got it within a week but that was 10 yrs ago. I would do it as soon as possible as apparently there is a 3 month backlog. We are just about to applied for a renewal. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ing-times.html

I called the booking center, you can go in person 3 days prior to a flight , if flight is within 2 weeks, by appointment only.
You do have to have a flight itinerary at time of calling. So I will book a flight tomorrow that leaves in 10 days, and then call and get appointment ( Miami is only 80 miles from me). I will then just cancel the flight for free. I do plan on flying to UK end Oct, but do not want to leave anything to chance.

steph0scope Sep 21st 2021 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Eeteet (Post 13053662)
I called the booking center, you can go in person 3 days prior to a flight , if flight is within 2 weeks, by appointment only.
You do have to have a flight itinerary at time of calling. So I will book a flight tomorrow that leaves in 10 days, and then call and get appointment ( Miami is only 80 miles from me). I will then just cancel the flight for free. I do plan on flying to UK end Oct, but do not want to leave anything to chance.

So you’re going to start off life as a citizen by lying to a government official just to jump the passport queue? Great one.

FWIW I got my citizenship in the middle of COVID also. Called st the post office on my way home from the USCIS office with Naturalisation certificate in hand. Passport was received less than 4 weeks later. That wasn’t even the expedited service. No lying needed.

Eeteet Sep 21st 2021 5:27 am

Originally Posted by steph0scope (Post 13053732)
So you’re going to start off life as a citizen by lying to a government official just to jump the passport queue? Great one.

FWIW I got my citizenship in the middle of COVID also. Called st the post office on my way home from the USCIS office with Naturalisation certificate in hand. Passport was received less than 4 weeks later. That wasn’t even the expedited service. No lying needed.

I will not be lying , I will have a flight booked, and I will also be flying in 4 weeks. I am being told to expect 10 weeks minimum by my friend who is senior in passport service in D.C.

There is a big difference between lying, and playing the game within the set rules. I will have a flight at time of calling, I will also rebook and have a flight in the correct time window as per the rules.

civilservant Sep 21st 2021 11:49 am

There is a big difference between lying, and playing the game within the set rules. I will have a flight at time of calling, I will also rebook and have a flight in the correct time window as per the rules.
Nope. You're just straight up lying. It's a misrepresentation of a material fact. You would not get the passport if you told them the truth, since you would not require it.

That's a lie.

Tell yourself whatever you want to get what you want, but you can't lie to us.

tht Sep 21st 2021 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eeteet (Post 13053741)
I will not be lying , I will have a flight booked, and I will also be flying in 4 weeks. I am being told to expect 10 weeks minimum by my friend who is senior in passport service in D.C.

But having a flight booked is not the requirement:

Agency or Center: extremely limited number of appointments: must have international travel in the next 72 hours (3 business days)”

The booked flight is just the evidence of your planned travel, not the requirement. They obviously have the ability to see if you do them travel. Either way you have now posted your actual intent on a public forum that his known to be monitored by government agencies, so it’s not like you would be changing your travel plans AFTER making the application, you have already made the decision before the appointment.

Eeteet Sep 21st 2021 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13053858)
Nope. You're just straight up lying. It's a misrepresentation of a material fact. You would not get the passport if you told them the truth, since you would not require it.

That's a lie.

Tell yourself whatever you want to get what you want, but you can't lie to us.

lol

civilservant Sep 21st 2021 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eeteet (Post 13053889)
lol

Reasoned rebuttal there :nod:

Lion in Winter Sep 21st 2021 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eeteet (Post 13053741)

Do you have a "life or death emergency"? If so, my sympathies. There is also a possible set of "restrictions apply" in a non-life-or-death situation. Presumably you will have to provide proof of whatever those may be. Simply wanting to travel is unlikely to be enough.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c1cb2b6871.jpg

As far as I can tell, that will be required for a 72-hour turnaround, and you will be required to provide proof of said emergency.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../get-fast.html

Eeteet Sep 21st 2021 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 13053893)
Reasoned rebuttal there :nod:

life's too short to waste it on online arguments; I have flights to book a calls to make, in accordance with the rules that were conveyed to my by the guy at the Passport call center.

I ran my idea past him and he even told me to book a Thursday flight, for best chance of appointment slot. Miami is the worst in the country right now.

My only other option is to do the normal process and HOPE to get it by 22nd October. Hope is not a strategy. I cannot risk not getting it in time to visit my 15 year old son for half term; I have not seen him in nearly 2 years. Pre covid, I went to UK at least 4 times a year.

So, yes, I will play the game , within the rules laid out by the passport rep.

I am sure we have all played " the game " hard, but fair, throughout the long and crazy journey it takes to go from living in the UK, to 10 years later being a US citizen.

Lion in Winter Sep 21st 2021 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eeteet (Post 13053903)
life's too short to waste it on online arguments; I have flights to book a calls to make, in accordance with the rules that were conveyed to my by the guy at the Passport call center.

I ran my idea past him and he even told me to book a Thursday flight, for best chance of appointment slot. Miami is the worst in the country right now.

My only other option is to do the normal process and HOPE to get it by 22nd October. Hope is not a strategy. I cannot risk not getting it in time to visit my 15 year old son for half term; I have not seen him in nearly 2 years. Pre covid, I went to UK at least 4 times a year.

So, yes, I will play the game , within the rules laid out by the passport rep.

I am sure we have all played " the game " hard, but fair, throughout the long and crazy journey it takes to go from living in the UK, to 10 years later being a US citizen.

Would it be less risky to bring your son here? I sympathise, I didn't see my own son for 1 year and 8 months (uni in the UK). The risk is whether or not the passport office agrees that seeing your son is within their set of "restricted circumstances". I get it completely, but they may not. Good luck, anyway.

Eeteet Sep 21st 2021 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13053896)
Do you have a "life or death emergency"? If so, my sympathies. There is also a possible set of "restrictions apply" in a non-life-or-death situation. Presumably you will have to provide proof of whatever those may be. Simply wanting to travel is unlikely to be enough.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c1cb2b6871.jpg

As far as I can tell, that will be required for a 72-hour turnaround, and you will be required to provide proof of said emergency.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../get-fast.html

No, the second one. I discussed with the rep. He gave advice on what to do. You can also book appointments at less busier places; he said New Orleans is quietest and easy for appointments, so I could just fly there and do it , if I cannot get a local Miami slot.