Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to transfer an OCI from a British to an American Passport?

How to transfer an OCI from a British to an American Passport?

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to transfer an OCI from a British to an American Passport?

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether transfering an OCI from a British to an American Passport is possible? If so, how much does it cost and how do you do it?

And, would my children, if they were born into American passports, would they be able to get it easily, in their American passports?

Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to transfer an OCI from a British to an American Passport?

Just curious but what is an OCI?
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arjunbendre
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether transfering an OCI from a British to an American Passport is possible? If so, how much does it cost and how do you do it?

And, would my children, if they were born into American passports, would they be able to get it easily, in their American passports?

Thanks.
Why would you want to transfer the OCI from your British to an American passport (if and when you become eligible for one)? As far as I know, unlike India, there is no requirement to renounce your British citizenship when you acquire U.S. citizenship. As for future kids, they should be eligible for the OCI based on your eligibility.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:43 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
India does not allow dual citizenship. The closest they get to it is to allow former citizens some rights, known as Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI).

More info HERE
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I think it's "overseas citizen of India" a recent halfway house for India to recognize people get other citizenships.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Since it's unlikely that this forum contains many OCI holders, perhaps the best source of information would be the Indian Embassy.

Your previous posts suggest you want to study in the U.S. as a foreign student. As far as I am aware, only a minority of foreign students qualify for working visas after their studies (the rest go home), and only some of those on working visas get green cards (the rest go home). After getting a green card, it still takes years to become a U.S. citizen.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

"OCI card holders traveling to India are advised to carry the Passport containing U Visa sticker and OCI Card to avoid problems at Immigration check points in India. In case registered OCI has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure to carry the passport containing U Visa sticker, new passport and OCI document during all visits to India.

ALTERNATIVELY, Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa sticker to new passport. However, before applying for Misc Services kindly read the instructions posted under OCI Misc Service particularly the processing period. Since applications are processed in the order of their receipt in the Consulate, this service cannot be expedited. New OCI Registration can be done online."

http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome
Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Okay. So basically I don't need to transfer.

I want to live in the US when I am older. However, if I wanted to go to India from the US, would I use my British Passport?
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

However, if I wanted to go to India from the US, would I use my British Passport?
You would use whatever passport you had that would get you into India.

(With the caveat that, if you ever become a US citizen, you would have to use your US passport to enter and leave the US - but you could still use whatever passport you liked to enter another country)
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
You would use whatever passport you had that would get you into India.

(With the caveat that, if you ever become a US citizen, you would have to use your US passport to enter and leave the US - but you could still use whatever passport you liked to enter another country)

Thanks for that.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:13 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Woah hold your horses sport you are talking about transferring a ?non-existent OCI into a non-existent US passport!!

Maybe get the basics sorted first rather than worrying about this minutiae!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by notshipman
Woah hold your horses sport you are talking about transferring a ?non-existent OCI into a non-existent US passport!!

Maybe get the basics sorted first rather than worrying about this minutiae!

Haha, thanks for that. The OCI does exist, but the American passport doesn't.

No matter, I have realised that I don't need to do that now, I can leave and enter on different passports.