Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to transfer GCSE to USA for High School Credit

How to transfer GCSE to USA for High School Credit

Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:12 am
Just Joined

kbarr01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to transfer GCSE to USA for High School Credit

I am moving back home to the USA after being in England for almost 7 years. I will be taking my GCSEs before I leave in June.
My question is, is there a way to transfer my GCSEs to the US and get credit towards High School?
I will be in Texas and presumably I will be going into the 11th Grade.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to transfer GCSE to USA for High School Credit

Originally Posted by kbarr01
I am moving back home to the USA after being in England for almost 7 years. I will be taking my GCSEs before I leave in June.
My question is, is there a way to transfer my GCSEs to the US and get credit towards High School?
Start talking to counsellors in your new school as soon as possible, my eldest son had very little trouble parlaying his GCSEs into useful high school credit.

Steve
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:46 am
Just Joined

kbarr01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveq
Start talking to counsellors in your new school as soon as possible, my eldest son had very little trouble parlaying his GCSEs into useful high school credit.

Steve
Thats great thanks!
Just wondering how many GCSEs he took and how many credits he recieved for them?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Get hold of the syllabus, especially for Maths - you will need to translate your grade overall down into much smaller chunks to satisfy the different courses, like Calculus, Geometry, Trig etc.

You may, depending on the school experience, have to give them links to explanations of grading as well - how a B in the UK is worth more than a B in the USA. How getting 60% might be an A in a subject can confuse them as well.

The advice above on speaking to the Counsellor early is good, and pester them and don't be afraid the challenge them (nicely). There are some Colleges in the USA that accept strong GCSE performance as good enough to accept - the school might need nudging to know that. A strong set of A-C's can be almost the same as a High School Diploma, if not better than. Ideally you want them to get you into a position to start AP classes almost the Semester on or after arrival.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 10:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbarr01
where in Texas?

I had to do exactly this with my eldest daughter, albeit from France with french exam passes.

You should be able to get GPA credit, probably not weighted though. You will need the course curriculum for the subjects studied.

I would definitely get in touch with the counsellors because you might be able to get some of the state mandatory courses out of the way next summer in a community college or online course.

Have you thought about an IB diploma? It's 2 years so you will start the SL subjects with the rest of your IB cohort.

How well all this goes really depends on the school ( board) concerned, some are very helpful and others aren't.

Prep for the SAT too - get private tuition because a great score there will really help with your college applications (US or UK???)

Be prepared for your college essays to be all about how you overcame the challenges of moving school systems and what you learned.......

It's doable, but my daughter did not stop working for the first year. It was hard.