Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to survive secondary, courtesy of the CIA !

How to survive secondary, courtesy of the CIA !

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to survive secondary, courtesy of the CIA !

How do spooks survive secondary screening? Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.

Google for "CIA Travel Advice To Operatives".
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to survive secondary, courtesy of the CIA !

IMHO, most of the info is just plain common sense...

ICTS Proling Guidelines (U)

Behavior:
• Unusual nervousness or anxiety by passenger or those accompanying the passenger.
• Secret contact with other passengers lacking apparent ties.
• Appearance of lying or withholding information.

Passport
• Lack of familiarity with passport entries (biographic page, previous travel).
• Stamps or visas from a terrorism-sponsoring country.
• Inability to speak the language of the passport-issuing country.

Ticket
• Unusual itinerary.
• Purchase manner unusual to the place of issue.
• Purchase or itinerary change within 24 hours of the scheduled ight.

Baggage
• Baggage or contents inconsistent with the passenger’s appearance, profession, or ticket class.
• Contents inconsistent with passenger’s description of contents.
• Amount of baggage unusual for the ticketed itinerary. (S//OC/NF)
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
..... Baggage
• Baggage or contents inconsistent with the passenger’s appearance, profession, or ticket class.
• Contents inconsistent with passenger’s description of contents.
• Amount of baggage unusual for the ticketed itinerary. (S//OC/NF)
The only time my bags were searched on arrival in the US, when I was still just a visitor, I was pulled aside with my bags at Podunk International Airport. The customs officer asked what was in my two suitcases? As per point 2, I told him one had clothes for my stay, the other one was empty, ... so he asked to look in the one I had described as being empty. I opened it up and he exclaimed "Oh! It's empty." (No $4!t ) Which indeed it was, so he carefully patted all around the lining, and I explained that it was for my soon-to-be-wife to send more clothes back to the UK with me when I left.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

So he didn't catch on that you were a suitcase smuggler?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a lot of hot air...
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:59 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Despite all the horror stories you read about interrogations, strip searches, etc., other than a few long queues, I've yet to experience anything other than the usual simple questions at US customs. Nor do I know anyone else who has either.

I remember long ago I flew to New York with a German friend, and she was terrified of facing customs. I invited her to fly with me, but she didn't want to go, because she didn't feel she could face the "interrogations and strip searches". But long story short, I finally talked her into it.

Needless to say, we both got through customs in record time, without "interrogations and strip searches". On the other side, and with a truly shocked look on her face, she simply said "is that it? That's all?". Well, yes, that's it.

I think overall they do a pretty good job, considering the volume they deal with. Most people arriving from afar usually aren't in the best of moods anyway, and just want to get it over with.

Just for contrast, have any of you ever been through Israeli customs (e.g., Tel Aviv)?. Now that's nasty.

Last edited by amideislas; Dec 22nd 2014 at 8:01 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration officer in Seatac tried to turn me round and send me home because my immigration documents had been issued in Hartford CT, therefore I 'wasn't allowed to enter the country via Seattle'.

Not his finest moment.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:21 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Just for contrast, have any of you ever been through Israeli customs (e.g., Tel Aviv)?. Now that's nasty.
That's a country I would refuse to visit for political reasons.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Israel is an incredible country, but besides what you have to endure just getting in, I agree, and also have my ethical reservations these days.