Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to successfully build an American credit rating

How to successfully build an American credit rating

Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:21 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to successfully build an American credit rating

Hmm to apply for a store card i need a driver's lisence/state ID number. eeek! Well most anyway. I'll have to get on the State ID. I'm not sure about the driving license, does anyone know what my next steps are, i'm 20 years old and i never drove in England.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveConquorsAll
Hmm to apply for a store card i need a driver's lisence/state ID number. eeek! Well most anyway. I'll have to get on the State ID. I'm not sure about the driving license, does anyone know what my next steps are, i'm 20 years old and i never drove in England.
Re the driving licence, there is a wiki entry with links to the DMV websites for each state.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driving_licence

Find your state, then look for the details for a new driver/first time licence.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:54 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Re the driving licence, there is a wiki entry with links to the DMV websites for each state.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driving_licence

Find your state, then look for the details for a new driver/first time licence.
The young adult road
RELATED LINKS

* Driver manual (online version)
* Licensed Driving Instructors

For drivers age 17 or older, MVC offers a three-phase process:

* Examination permit
* Provisional license (minimum one year of restricted but unsupervised driving)
* Basic driver license (must be 18 years old)

Get an examination permit (not a student permit)
Visit an MVC Agency (may also be distributed by a licensed driving instructor).

* Pass the knowledge test. You can study by using the new online driver manual or reading MVC’s driver manual
* Pass the vision test
* Pass the 6 Point ID Verification
* Pay fee
* Permits are valid for two years and must be carried when operating a vehicle
* If your permit is lost or stolen, you must request a duplicate permit

Practice supervised driving for at least six months
You must observe the following restrictions during the supervised driving phase:

* No driving between 12:01 a.m. and 5 a.m.
* You must be accompanied by an Adult Supervising Driver (at least 21 years old and licensed to drive for at least 3 years) in the front seat
* Passengers must be from your household. Only one additional person from outside your household is allowed
* You can't use cell phones, hand held video games or any other hand held electronic device
* Seat belts must be worn at all times
* See GDL Exemptions for hours-related exemptions for employment or religious reasons

So in looking at this, would i be right in saying my first port of call would be to go to the DMV and fill out an application for an examination permit, giving them my I.D and proof of address. This permit should enable me to drive with my Wife in the front seat for six months before i can then apply for a provisional license?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you doubt your ability to read and comprehend correctly.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I say call them up and see if you can just take the tests for your regular license. Tell them you're 20 and recently arrived from the UK and are unsure about what to do. They may let you, they may not. The fact that you have never driven before shouldn't hinder your ability to pass the test!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:17 pm
Hydey

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I say call them up and see if you can just take the tests for your regular license. Tell them you're 20 and recently arrived from the UK and are unsure about what to do. They may let you, they may not. The fact that you have never driven before shouldn't hinder your ability to pass the test!
That's sound advice, thank you. As for the last part i also heard that rumor somewhere, let's hope it lives up to its word! At least you all drive automatic here!

And Rete... for a moderator, that is a pointless reply, but to humor you and be honest, i don't doubt my ability to read and comprehend, but i found the language and nature of the DMV website to be very overwhelming, so i wanted a second, more adult opinion so that i could confirm my understanding was correct.

Richard
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

At least you all drive automatic here!
I don't and I know several people who don't either.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:41 pm
Hydey

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I don't and I know several people who don't either.
The vast majority of Americans, i meant.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Say a $300 limit, use it, and pay off the full balance... over and over. Is that a speedy/steady way to build credit?
Yep -- but use around 10% to 20% of your available credit. So with a $300-limit card, spend between $30 and $60 every month, then pay off in full whne the bill arrives.

More info here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fatbri...it_and_Finance
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of Americans, i meant.
From your vast experience of the rest of America?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:39 pm
Hydey

Originally Posted by meauxna
From your vast experience of the rest of America?
No, from stereotyping and from what my Wife says
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

lol, from 3000 miles away I guess she can't see all the Subarus out here.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:15 pm
Hydey

You'd guess right, she certainly can't. Unless she's some kind of X-Men vision going on. And also, stereotyping isn't the truth
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

hehehe my yellow sporty Sabarus was a manual and I loved it. Jim won't buy anything that's not a manual.

Does that make us anti-American?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:59 pm
Concierge

That's sound advice, thank you. As for the last part i also heard that rumor somewhere, let's hope it lives up to its word! At least you all drive automatic here!

And Rete... for a moderator, that is a pointless reply, but to humor you and be honest, i don't doubt my ability to read and comprehend, but i found the language and nature of the DMV website to be very overwhelming, so i wanted a second, more adult opinion so that i could confirm my understanding was correct.

Richard

Duh! What was I thinking. Of course, you wanted an adult opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.