Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how to register with the british consulate?

how to register with the british consulate?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default how to register with the british consulate?

Hi everyone!
Im looking to register hubby with the british consulate in LA, but I cant find the link for it. I tried to call and I cant speak to anyone as its all recorded messages! I registered with mine (French) pretty easily, but cant find how to do it for hubby...

Dont Brits need to register with local Consulate/embassies?

Im asking because I was always told to register with your local consulate when you dont live in your own country so they have you in their files "just in case"

thanks for any help!!
Laety
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to register with the british consulate?

Originally Posted by laety View Post
Hi everyone!
Im looking to register hubby with the british consulate in LA, but I cant find the link for it. I tried to call and I cant speak to anyone as its all recorded messages! I registered with mine (French) pretty easily, but cant find how to do it for hubby...

Dont Brits need to register with local Consulate/embassies?

Im asking because I was always told to register with your local consulate when you dont live in your own country so they have you in their files "just in case"

thanks for any help!!
Laety
You do it through a centralised web site: https://www.locate.fco.gov.uk/locateportal/

It's rather user-unfriendly, and you can only register for a year at a time, which is moronic.

Last edited by rpjs; Feb 1st 2012 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

excellent, thank you!!

Ps: I totally agree that it is very stupid to have to do it every year!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 12:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
It's rather user-unfriendly, and you can only register for a year at a time, which is moronic.
Dunno about moronic, but its definitely oxymoronic to use "user-unfriendly" and "British Consulate" in the same sentence.

Given that its virtually impossible to get to talk to a real person (no, you can't count the idiots on the 5.99/minute helpline), I'm not sure what benefit we would actually get from registering with them.

I know what you mean though, OP - when I went to Singapore it was on my to do list as well. I did register with them (which was a load of hassle in itself) , and as far as I could tell, all they used the registration for was invites to cocktail parties .......... Oh yes, they did use it to spread the word when a brit needed blood donations, but they were so out of touch that they didn't even know Brits couldn't donate in Singapore (cos we're all mad cows).
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
Oh yes, they did use it to spread the word when a brit needed blood donations, but they were so out of touch that they didn't even know Brits couldn't donate in Singapore (cos we're all mad cows).
ahah so funny! you know, in England I gave my blood as much as I could, but when I went back to france on holidays, I went to give my blood there and they refused me because I was living in england and they had "mad cow disease" fear.. so stupid!

oh well, I will register hubby anyway even though it might not be necessary!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:44 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I used to donate regularly in the UK, but once I moved to Singapore in 95 it stopped. Sing wouldn't take it cos of Mad Cow. I tried to do it back in the UK - they wouldn't take it cos I lived in Singapore (think it was malaria risk!). When we came to the US they wouldnt take it because of UK (Mad cow ) and Singapore (malaria). AAAGGHHH.

You read all the time about the blood banks being critically short on supply. I'm sure if I was about to croak because the bloodbanks were dry I'd be quite happy taking my chances with blood from a malarial mad cow of a brit..............
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: how to register with the british consulate?

Yeah, I used to donate regularly in the UK, but once I moved to Singapore in 95 it stopped. Sing wouldn't take it cos of Mad Cow. I tried to do it back in the UK - they wouldn't take it cos I lived in Singapore (think it was malaria risk!). When we came to the US they wouldnt take it because of UK (Mad cow ) and Singapore (malaria). AAAGGHHH.

You read all the time about the blood banks being critically short on supply. I'm sure if I was about to croak because the bloodbanks were dry I'd be quite happy taking my chances with blood from a malarial mad cow of a brit..............

That would be me then LOL!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
You do it through a centralised web site: https://www.locate.fco.gov.uk/locateportal/

The reason you can only register for a year at a time is because they don't want to manage a massive, ever growing, out of date list. They keep it smaller by dropping people after a year. Some people move (e.g. back to the UK) and never tell them.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: how to register with the british consulate?

Dunno about moronic, but its definitely oxymoronic to use "user-unfriendly" and "British Consulate" in the same sentence.

Given that its virtually impossible to get to talk to a real person (no, you can't count the idiots on the 5.99/minute helpline), I'm not sure what benefit we would actually get from registering with them.

I know what you mean though, OP - when I went to Singapore it was on my to do list as well. I did register with them (which was a load of hassle in itself) , and as far as I could tell, all they used the registration for was invites to cocktail parties .......... Oh yes, they did use it to spread the word when a brit needed blood donations, but they were so out of touch that they didn't even know Brits couldn't donate in Singapore (cos we're all mad cows).
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody actually bother registering though?

If there's no benefit in doing so and no-one actually does then it's a bit academic.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Does anybody actually bother registering though?

If there's no benefit in doing so and no-one actually does then it's a bit academic.
I think it's useful for certain countries where there's the possibility of something really serious happening and you want the UK govt to know you're there. However, probably not that useful for the major expat destinations.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've registered anyway, you never know if and when it may be useful. Seems a no brainer for the couple of minutes spent filling it in. Thanks for the link rpjs!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:32 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came to the US 25 years ago I contacted the Consulate in Boston to register and they said it was really just for countries where there might be unrest or revolution......I decided not to point out New England's revolutionary history. My only contact with the Consulate in 25 years has been to beat them in several cricket matches. I've had more contact with the French Consulate as they regularly sponsor French film seasons at a local cinema I go to. The British Consulate has never done something similar for British films. Now I'd never register with any government voluntarily. FYI, guess who's the current Boston UK Consulate General in this picture, nice tie dude!

http://billbrett.com/2012BostonEvent...9119&k=SGm8TMq

Last edited by nun; Feb 4th 2012 at 12:40 am.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

it must depend of your country then. I had to register with the French consulate in England as when I got married, you had to be registered to do the paperwork etc. also, with the french one, its then "easier" to have admin stuff done..
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul View Post
Unfortunately, Dean, I think the question of why bother is very valid for many British expats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.