Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to prove child US citizenship?

How to prove child US citizenship?

Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Question How to prove child US citizenship?

I hope this will make sense. lol

Kidlet, minor, born abroad, 'step-parent' adopted by USC husband prior to moving to US on CR2 visa in 2005 (accompanied by bio mom on CR1).

Per Child Citizenship Act of 2000, kidlet becomes USC upon entry (but we did not have this info upon entry).

Parents do not acquire US passport for kidlet.

Anno 2013, mother needs to prove kidlet's (still a minor) US citizenship. State agency does not understand CCAo2000 regulation and is not satisfied with copy of kidlet's PR card + kidlet's birth certificate (listing both parents) + USC father's US passport OR with now USC mom's certificate of naturalization. They also alluded that kidlet's soon receiving of a US passport themselves was not sufficient evidence of citizenship.

State agency says they cannot verify kidlet's citizenship. I know they are wrong. But.

Now what do we do?? I do not have $600 to spend on a certificate of citizenship for kidlet.

(I hope this is allowed in this specific forum, since more people may have done this because it started out as marriage-based).

Last edited by HunterGreen; Mar 24th 2013 at 8:47 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to prove child US citizenship?

Hi Hunter,

I moved your thread to the General USA forum, where there are more threads on the topic of passports and children's citizenship.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Renee, okay... I was hoping for it to stay in marriage based though, see my last line... but I will not argue.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Renee, okay... I was hoping for it to stay in marriage based though, see my last line... but I will not argue.
I understand...but although your original immigration was marriage-based, I think you'll get more answers to this specific question in this forum.

Here's a related link from this forum, as well: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791407

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, Renee.

The circumstances in that link are different than ours, so it wasn't of much aid... I had seen it previously. Thanks though!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this will make sense. lol

Kidlet, minor, born abroad, 'step-parent' adopted by USC husband prior to moving to US on CR2 visa in 2005 (accompanied by bio mom on CR1).

Per Child Citizenship Act of 2000, kidlet becomes USC upon entry (but we did not have this info upon entry).

Parents do not acquire US passport for kidlet.

Anno 2013, mother needs to prove kidlet's (still a minor) US citizenship. State agency does not understand CCAo2000 regulation and is not satisfied with copy of kidlet's PR card + kidlet's birth certificate (listing both parents) + USC father's US passport OR with now USC mom's certificate of naturalization. They also alluded that kidlet's soon receiving of a US passport themselves was not sufficient evidence of citizenship.

State agency says they cannot verify kidlet's citizenship. I know they are wrong. But.

Now what do we do?? I do not have $600 to spend on a certificate of citizenship for kidlet.

1. The state agency is right. They cannot verify U.S. citizenship. It's not their job. They might accept a U.S. passport, or they might not.

However, a U.S. passport is not conclusive evidence of U.S. citizenship and may not necessarily be accepted by all government agencies. Especially Citizenship & Immigration Services.

2. Child does need a citizenship certificate. The fee is $600.
There is scope for a fee waiver if you are genuinely low income:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The state agency did accept a US passport as evidence of citizenship for another family member.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The state agency did accept a US passport as evidence of citizenship for another family member.

Once again, a U.S. passport might or might not be accepted. However, the strongest form of evidence of U.S. citizenship for those not born in the U.S. is a Certificate of Citizenship.

If you choose not to obtain one, it's a bad choice for your child. It may be difficult or impossible to prove acquisition of U.S. citizenship later on and the consequences of being unable to do so could be very serious.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Btw, thank you, JAJ. I will file with the fee waiver. I had no idea that existed. Thanks so much for pointing it out!

Do you have any idea if they will deny the entire application if the waiver is denied, or if they will process it and bill me for $600?

Other opinions remain welcome obviously...

Edite: cross posted with your last reply. I truly do not have the means to obtain one, but if they will accept the fee waiver, that would fix it. So fingers crossed!

Last edited by HunterGreen; Mar 24th 2013 at 9:11 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

Btw, thank you, JAJ. I will file with the fee waiver. I had no idea that existed. Thanks so much for pointing it out!

Do you have any idea if they will deny the entire application if the waiver is denied, or if they will process it and bill me for $600?
There are specific requirements for the fee waiver. If you meet one of these, it is likely the waiver will be given. If not, you can expect it to be refused.

As to the rest, you've asked the question how to prove your child is a U.S. citizen and you've now got the answer.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. I meet all of them currently, unfortunately. You have no idea how thankful I am that you mentioned the fee waiver.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dumb question maybe, but do I still put my A number in where it asks for it, if I am now a USC?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:28 pm

Dumb question maybe, but do I still put my A number in where it asks for it, if I am now a USC?
Yes.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

It looks like you should fill out the form in the name of your child, so on that basis you should probably provide the child's A number.

By the way, the standard fee is $550 for adopted children (not relevant if you are applying for fee waiver) but may be of interest to others.

The N-600 takes a few months and if the child is 14 or over, child may need to have an interview and take an oath of allegiance as part of the process. In the meantime, child's U.S. passport should be acceptable to most (but not necessarily all) agencies.

Once you have evidence that the child is a U.S. citizen you should apply to update the child's Social Security's records. Many federal and state agencies use the records of the Social Security Administration to verify U.S. citizenship.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Renee and JAJ. I was planning to update our SSN records as soon as I have my natz. cert. back with our passports.

The vicious cycle is so funny... just like when I first got here as a PR... couldn't get a driver's license without an SSN, couldn't get an SSN without a driver's license... LOL (of course I could, but their knee jerk reactions were to say "can't"). And now it's more of the same stuff, only different. And here I thought I was done when I had that natz certificate in my hands. LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.