Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to prove CA residency quickly?

How to prove CA residency quickly?

Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to prove CA residency quickly?

If you've never been to a California DMV, your best bet is to make an appt online so that you're not waiting forever and a day. Here is the link: https://eg.dmv.ca.gov/foa/welcome.do?localeName=en

Something else to keep in mind is that California now has 3 furlough days each month. In July, DMV will be closed the 10th, 17th and 24th of this month.

Good luck!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

snodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah it's 10 days.

"You're in the State of California now" as I was told laconically by another organisation in the days when I thought anyone would give credit for British stuff.
That's not very long upon arrival to have to get a CA licence.

Here in Alaska, they very nicely give us 90 days.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snodog
That's not very long upon arrival to have to get a CA licence.

Here in Alaska, they very nicely give us 90 days.
heh, the nearest DMV in Alaska might be an 80-day sled ride away?

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Where in CA are you?
When I arrived the DMV where making me jump hoops until I said no the I551 is the interim doco for the 'Green Card' and asked to see supervisor etc and then they relented.
Stick to your guns! and good luck.
Yes! You are one of those who arrived with an IV; your experience will be closest to what he needs unless CA rules have changed yet again since you arrived.

Originally Posted by md95065
You have never been to the DMV in California have you?
Hey baby, California girl here! I had the traditional 16th birthday celebration of my dad taking me to DMV to get my licence as *soon* as I possibly could!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
My understanding is that it in California it is 10 days from becoming resident and it doesn't matter who you are or where you came from.
Yes but once you are in California you will be expected to be late for everything which is probably why they say 10 days but probably really mean 30.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The visa in your passport and the I-94 stamped by the agent at the POE will only prove your residency in the US and not your residency in California. For that you will most probably need an utility bill in your name sent to a California address, a rental lease, a house deed, etc. which proves your California residency.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:15 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I know half a dozen Brits who moved to CA and none of them bothered getting their license in the 10 days so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I know half a dozen Brits who moved to CA and none of them bothered getting their license in the 10 days so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
OP wants it quickly for his job hunting/getting.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
OP wants it quickly for his job hunting/getting.
I appreciate that, all the people I knew used a hire car for the first few weeks and drove on their UK licenses.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The visa in your passport and the I-94 stamped by the agent at the POE will only prove your residency in the US and not your residency in California. For that you will most probably need an utility bill in your name sent to a California address, a rental lease, a house deed, etc. which proves your California residency.
Yes but, like the original poster, I think that you are missing at least part of the point.

The DMV in California with not ask you for proof of residency in the state because, to the best of my knowledge, that is not a requirement in order for you to get a California driver's license.

What the California DMV web site says is:

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
The point that it is making is that you must get a California driver's license within 10 days of becoming a California resident.

Nowhere does it say that a non resident cannot get a license or that you need to prove that you are a California resident in order to get one.

If you look at the list of things that you have to do in order to get a license, you will notice that proving that you are a California resident is not one of them:

To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

* Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
* Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
* Give a thumb print
* Have your picture taken
* Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
* Verify your birth date and legal presence If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth data/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.
* Provide your true full name
* Pay the application fee
* Pass a vision exam
* Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.(Sample Test)
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice
Cool Re: How to prove CA residency quickly?

UPDATE:
I got my CA drivers license.
In the end they didnt ask for any proof that I was a CA resident.
It was relatively straightforward. It was important to book an appointment ahead before visiting the DMV though.

There was a bit of explaining to do when showing my I-551 visa in my passport. They thought it was out of date....I had to explain about it being stamped and good for one year (I havnt got the actual green card in the post yet...My POE was July 10)

I passed my written test 100%...then they said "Ok now make an appointment to take the road test...we have slots one month from now"
No way! I want my license ASAP so I went down to the Clovis office the next two mornings to see if there was a standby slot. I got lucky and got an appointment. I passed the road test with another 100% (never even did that in the UK lol)
If you are not used to driving in the USA its worth getting a few lessons with an instructor. I did that and he took me around the test route and got me ready for the test.

Thanks to everyone on here.