Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to pay NVC

How to pay NVC

Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to pay NVC

Last time we used Lloyds to transfer money to a relation's US bank account and then paid online from there (and scarily without any security checks, just the routing code and account number). The transfer took a good few days.

We now have to pay an additional $794. We could use the same process again but ideally I'd like to do it quicker. Western Union and Moneygram are coming up with £530 plus £42 transfer fee.

Do you know of any other same-day way of transferring the money (preferably a bit cheaper) - or indeed NVC accepting payment in some other form that I've overlooked? They only take payments from US financial institutions apparently. I suspect I know the answer but it's always worth checking!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to pay NVC

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Last time we used Lloyds to transfer money to a relation's US bank account and then paid online from there (and scarily without any security checks, just the routing code and account number). The transfer took a good few days.

We now have to pay an additional $794. We could use the same process again but ideally I'd like to do it quicker. Western Union and Moneygram are coming up with £530 plus £42 transfer fee.

Do you know of any other same-day way of transferring the money (preferably a bit cheaper) - or indeed NVC accepting payment in some other form that I've overlooked? They only take payments from US financial institutions apparently. I suspect I know the answer but it's always worth checking!
your right ... use the friend again

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3904.html
Old Nov 4th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
your right ... use the friend again

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3904.html
Oh well, thanks anyway! Seems I can't pay anyway as their online payment shows 1 of the 4 of us as "unpaid" (correct) but the checkbox to pay that person is grayed out as well as the other three! Waiting for a response from NVC on that one.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Seems I can't pay anyway as their online payment shows 1 of the 4 of us as "unpaid" (correct) but the checkbox to pay that person is grayed out as well as the other three! Waiting for a response from NVC on that one.
Damn, they're quick! This is 3rd or 4th time I've contacted them by email and they've always responded within 24 hours. This time it just was 8 hours and 20 minutes!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Another option: Find a British friend in the US who still has a UK bank account and is willing to let you put money in there, and he pay from his US account.

Next problem: nag him to actually give me the details as promised.