Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

My understanding is that he does not need a SSN or TIN if the account is not interest-bearing. So he should be able to open a non-interest-bearing account in the USA as a non-resident.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I opened a checking account with HSBC without a SSN when I arrived here in March this year - just needed my passport and UK driving license.

My girlfriend is here on an F1 visa - she won't get a SSN - she opened a bank account OK with just her passport and driving license from her home country.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

funkybubbles is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened a Premier acc with HSBC in the UK and then the same in the US
With out a SSN too
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by funkybubbles
We opened a Premier acc with HSBC in the UK and then the same in the US
With out a SSN too
Did you have to make the £100k investment with them before they would allow you to open the Premier account?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

funkybubbles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EricK
Did you have to make the £100k investment with them before they would allow you to open the Premier account?
No we didn't, but believe it is £60K now?!
We did ours on house sale, salary etc..... but best off going in to speak with the Premier Manager, Ours have been v helpful
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

I have a contact at HSBC who can open US accounts without a SSN. He can also get you a US credit card based on your UK credit history.

PM me if you would like me to forward his details.

Last edited by Peter Newton; Nov 10th 2010 at 9:05 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
I have a contact at HSBC who can open US accounts without a SSN. He can also get you a US credit card based on your UK credit history.

What is this thread's obsession with SSNs?

You DON'T need a SSN to open checking accounts, period!

Paranoid Act
If you've got a SSN, you need to give it to them.
If you don't have a SSN, you have to prove your identity -- a passport seems to work quite well.

Common Sense
If you visit the 38th Bank of Podnuck in Sticksville where the patrons of the local diner are busy discussing last night's UFO sighting, you may get all sorts of crap asked for......but that is irrelevant to this discussion. If you want an easy life, open an account in a city with one of the main players.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter Newton

I opened an account with HSBC without a SSN by just walking in off the street into the branch.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account with HSBC without a SSN by just walking in off the street into the branch.
Was it a difficult experience?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Was it a difficult experience?
It was easy, no problem whatsoever. I just showed my UK passport and driving license.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It was easy, no problem whatsoever. I just showed my UK passport and driving license.
What non US address did you give them? Since this thread is asking about accounts for people do DO NOT live in the US.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP means he is a noncitizen, with no right to live in the US and no intention to reside in the US (i.e., no visa or GC). surely he can't have a US bank account, can he???

Nonresident could mean a) Not a LPR, but on a visa/work permit b) not legally entitled to reside in the US, but intending to live there anyway, or c) not legally entitled to reside in the US, and not intending to live there, either.

Which of these is the OP talking about? Surely the answer to his question depends on his exact residence situation?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:21 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by dunroving
If the OP means he is a noncitizen, with no right to live in the US and no intention to reside in the US (i.e., no visa or GC). surely he can't have a US bank account, can he???

Nonresident could mean a) Not a LPR, but on a visa/work permit b) not legally entitled to reside in the US, but intending to live there anyway, or c) not legally entitled to reside in the US, and not intending to live there, either.

Which of these is the OP talking about? Surely the answer to his question depends on his exact residence situation?
No!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No!
So anyone, living in any country, of any citizenship/nationality can hold a regular US bank account?

You must be kidding, surely?

[Answers of more than one syllable appreciated]
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:10 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by dunroving
So anyone, living in any country, of any citizenship/nationality can hold a regular US bank account?

You must be kidding, surely?

[Answers of more than one syllable appreciated]

Why should we expect banks to be immigration enforcement officers? There's plenty of new regulations I'd like to impose on the US banking industry..but this isn't one of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.