Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How often do you change your oil?

Wikiposts

How often do you change your oil?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you change your oil?

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

good old bmw engineering
nought wrong with bmw's
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Back in the UK, I used to change my oil once a year - when I got it serviced and MOT'ed. I think almost everyone I knew did the same.

At least changing it here is quite cheap, about $15 a go.
I had a disagreement with the warranty company when I had a 'ticking noise' in my engine.
They were refusing to pay for the repairs as I couldn't provide receipts proving I'd change the oil every 3 months.
Long story which went on for weeks, but having looked in the manual, it suggested every 7,000 miles.
Bingo, they had to pay for the repairs.
It was a major success over here dealing with these rip-off merchants.
What had really pissed me off was that when I bought the car, having no credit history, not only did I have to pay 23% but a $1,500 2 year warranty was forced on me.
I was as angry as an angry person in angry mood could be.
They f**cked with the wrong geezer.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
What had really pissed me off was that when I bought the car, having no credit history, not only did I have to pay 23% but a $1,500 2 year warranty was forced on me.
Forcing you to buy a warranty or insurance with a loan is simply illegal.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:27 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
is that the mini?

good old bmw engineering
Aye sir.

I told the dealer that the mother-in-law has the oil changed in her car every 3,000 miles and she just laughed.

"You won't need to open the hood until it comes back here at 10,000."

Righto! Looked under the hood anyway....just to see what it looked like
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Forcing you to buy a warranty or insurance with a loan is simply illegal.

Unfortunately I didn't know that at the time.
Another lesson learned :0)
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I didn't know that at the time.
Another lesson learned :0)

Don't worry! Next time they try to do it, gather good hard evidence and play your options carefully. You might come away with a substantial discount!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't worry! Next time they try to do it, gather good hard evidence and play your options carefully. You might come away with a substantial discount!

Cheers for that.
Fortunately my credit rating has built up so I'm in a much better bargaining situation next time I buy a car/van which could be in the not too distant future.
Our two vans have a total of over 250,000 miles on them
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:44 am
Septicity

Cheers for that.
Fortunately my credit rating has built up so I'm in a much better bargaining situation next time I buy a car/van which could be in the not too distant future.
Our two vans have a total of over 250,000 miles on them

The dealer has 4 or 5 places to make a profit:
1/ Car price
2/ Installed extras
3/ Warranties/LoJack/OnStar/etc.
4/ Finance
5/ Trade-in

The more you cut out from him, the easier your negotiation will be.
1/ This is where you should be using your energy.
2/ Yes, I want a pinstripe for $200! Go away!
3/ Go away!
4/ Unless the mfr has a really good deal, almost always better to do it outside the dealer.
5/ Almost always best to get rid by advertising locally if you can put up with the muppets kicking the tyres for a few days.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:50 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK, I used to change my oil once a year - when I got it serviced and MOT'ed. I think almost everyone I knew did the same.

At least changing it here is quite cheap, about $15 a go.
I had a disagreement with the warranty company when I had a 'ticking noise' in my engine.
They were refusing to pay for the repairs as I couldn't provide receipts proving I'd change the oil every 3 months.
Long story which went on for weeks, but having looked in the manual, it suggested every 7,000 miles.
Bingo, they had to pay for the repairs.
It was a major success over here dealing with these rip-off merchants.
I was as angry as an angry person in angry mood could be.
They f**cked with the wrong geezer.
Apparently "They f**cked with the right geezer" because you signed up for it.

I have never heard of anyone paying 23% here. A recent arrival with no history might pay 17%. As for the warranty, it is true that some lenders would require "gap insurance" in case you total the vehicle but they would never insist on a Maintenance Policy. In fact they cannot insist on it.

Didn't the dealer tell you that you could cancel a maintenance plan at any time ?

What was the warranty you bought for ? Months/Miles etc.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
"You won't need to open the hood until it comes back here at 10,000."
you'd go all the way back for a service?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:54 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
As for the warranty, it is true that some lenders would require "gap insurance" in case you total the vehicle but they would never insist on a Maintenance Policy.
Always get your gap insurance through your insurance broker, never through the dealer. If you need gap insurance, you're probably overextending yourself on the car loan. Whilst this makes you look very American, it's bloody foolish!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

5/ Almost always best to get rid by advertising locally if you can put up with the muppets kicking the tyres for a few days.
or as in maine, leave them in front garden long enough that it becomes part of the garden, still with the for sale sign
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:56 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you'd go all the way back for a service?
Hell yeah!! It's free and involves a nice bimble down to Florida in it
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:56 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
or as in maine, leave them in front garden long enough that it becomes part of the garden, still with the for sale sign

If you have a home that's mobile and 15 cars that aren't, ....
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
Hell yeah!! It's free and involves a nice bimble down to Florida in it
hehe...not a bad drive then I guess for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.