Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Much??? You're Joking!!

How Much??? You're Joking!!

Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default How Much??? You're Joking!!

Now we've moved out to the Seattle area - goodbye NC, it was nice and hot but the food was killing me, quadruple bypass anyone?? - and we're getting quite settled in Redmond, we decided to explore the area.

We came across a shop festooned with Union Jacks called The British Pantry (wonder what they sell, I thought...) and Mrs Vern suggested we nip in and get her some real tea bags. I don't drink the stuff myself but she's pining for some Clipper or Tetleys.....

Jeez!!! The prices!! It's a wonder the woman behind the counter wasn't wearing a balacalava and carrying a sawn off shoota!!

$22 for a box of 160 Yorkshire tea bags!!! 99c for a Crunchie! $3.50 for a packet of Hob Nobs!! I was out of there faster than you could say 'large overdraft', dragging Mrs Vern and the three little Verns behind me...she was more outraged than me - she reckons they should wear three-cornered hats and shout 'stand and deliver!' when you go in there...it was very quickly decided that we would make do with the stuff she gets from Safeways!!

It gave me an idea though...if I set up a website flogging this stuff (you know, marmite, chocolate Hob Nobs, cough candy twists, that sort of gear) by mail order at reasonable prices, how many takers would I get???

What's the most overpriced British commodity you've come across???
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Much??? You're Joking!!

Originally posted by Big Vern
Land Rovers
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Went to a British shop in Annapolis recently (actually it was mostly Irish with a bit of English thrown in) - Branston pickle was $6!! Marmite - forget it. Hobnobs, Rich Tea - yep...... about the same... around $3.

They cite poor exchange rate and high import costs from the UK.

Fortunately have some visitors over the summer which will help.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:11 pm
Wiggle

The Royal family

Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Overthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wiggle
The Royal family
HAHAHA Excellent
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:33 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Now we've moved out to the Seattle area - goodbye NC, it was nice and hot but the food was killing me, quadruple bypass anyone?? - and we're getting quite settled in Redmond, we decided to explore the area.

We came across a shop festooned with Union Jacks called The British Pantry (wonder what they sell, I thought...) and Mrs Vern suggested we nip in and get her some real tea bags. I don't drink the stuff myself but she's pining for some Clipper or Tetleys.....

Jeez!!! The prices!! It's a wonder the woman behind the counter wasn't wearing a balacalava and carrying a sawn off shoota!!

$22 for a box of 160 Yorkshire tea bags!!! 99c for a Crunchie! $3.50 for a packet of Hob Nobs!! I was out of there faster than you could say 'large overdraft', dragging Mrs Vern and the three little Verns behind me...she was more outraged than me - she reckons they should wear three-cornered hats and shout 'stand and deliver!' when you go in there...it was very quickly decided that we would make do with the stuff she gets from Safeways!!

It gave me an idea though...if I set up a website flogging this stuff (you know, marmite, chocolate Hob Nobs, cough candy twists, that sort of gear) by mail order at reasonable prices, how many takers would I get???

Vern there are plenty of online retailers of British foods ect.
Just look.
Mind you there prices aint too good either. What with the shipping costs ect.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Land Rovers
Ya right there.... I was fancying a new Free Lander... till I saw the starting price

Ash
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Vern... usually you will get better prices on stuff in supermarkets etc... although there is not a huge difference.

Ash
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Yeah, the prices are outrageous. We go to our local place and usually come away with a measly small carrier bag full of stuff and a bill for $100. Best thing is to get rellies to send stuff over or if anyone is visiting I usually hold them to ransome, 'bring so and so or you cannot come', usually works well for me.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

These prices are outrageous I agree....nonetheless if you really want a Yorkie choc bar or some tea you just have to pay it. Only gets unbearable if you do your weekly shop in the British Aisle!

You have to think of it as a treat! And stock up when at home!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:29 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Do you have a Meijer in your area? The one close to us has a teeny tiny international section and I get 80 PG Tips for $7.99

99 cents for a crunchy? Well worth it in my opinion! Yum!!

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by ElsieTheMaid
Do you have a Meijer in your area? The one close to us has a teeny tiny international section and I get 80 PG Tips for $7.99

Or check out World Market. You can't rely on them having exactly what you want at any given time, but I seem to be lucky in stopping by when they are having a sale on PG Tips, Crunchie, Flake, Turkish Delight, HP etc... I managed to pick up several large packets of McVities for about $2 each a few weeks ago. Plus, decent beer selection and all the crap furniture imported from Thailand that you could wish for...
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:02 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ElsieTheMaid

Yeah, but the PG Tips you get from over here don't taste as strong as PG Tips from the UK. Maybe it's all psychological .
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

its the water lady... I couldn't do without tea at home...here (CAlif).. it doesn't matter what I do.. it tastes like a vending machine took a crap in my cup.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by USBound
its the water lady... I couldn't do without tea at home...here (CAlif).. it doesn't matter what I do.. it tastes like a vending machine took a crap in my cup.
If it's the water, it's more likely to be population of California than a vending machine....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.