Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much are you spending on heat this winter?

Wikiposts

How much are you spending on heat this winter?

Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much are you spending on heat this winter?

Originally Posted by Adnams
How long do you season it for though? I have bought fire wood in the states and its been as green as though it was felled the day before. Not best pleased as you can imagine
Unless I'm clearing ground, I only cut dead stuff. I look for standing dead trees in the summer when everything else has leaves and they're easy to spot. The ones that have lost big patches of bark and all the little limbs are the best. They still have a little moisture in them but once it's split and stacked it dries out quickly. Anything that I do cut live is split and seasoned for a year at least.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Unless I'm clearing ground, I only cut dead stuff. I look for standing dead trees in the summer when everything else has leaves and they're easy to spot. The ones that have lost big patches of bark and all the little limbs are the best. They still have a little moisture in them but once it's split and stacked it dries out quickly. Anything that I do cut live is split and seasoned for a year at least.
if it dont spit and hiss and steam its sesaoned I suppose. Right? Me old dad used to season his oak for at least a couple of years but that was in damp Devon so it probably needed it.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many wood stoves are horribly ineficient, masonary Stoves are the best, wood has to be burned at a high temperature.

Heating does not need to be expensive, better to invest your money in not heating the outside.

US standards are crap admittedly, now the cost consequences are being felt.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing, if we had a stove or fire place, we'd be set with free firewood...FIL gets it free, off cuts from work, good quality hardwood too....it's always nice having a proper fire.

Originally Posted by Pony
I have resisted putting the heating on. We are rarely home during the day, and tend to spend the evenings in the living room. So I have been burning wood in the fireplace - its a lot of work, but it heats the whole house and looks great. The only problem is the cost. I paid nearly $200 for a quarter of a cord of seasoned oak - I even collected it myself. Thats $800 a cord!!!!!
In Texas I paid $225 for a full cord, the guy delivered it and stacked it for me. The last quarter of a cord lasted a week (I had a fire going all day Saturday and Sunday). I refuse to pay $800 a month for firewood, so I think I'll be putting the central heating on
If it gets any more expensive it would be cheaper to burn Sue's collection of shoes and handbags - hmmmm, but that may lead to a costly divorce . . .
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
shit

thats horrific

my worst bill ever was feburary a couple of year ago and the gas was $470, but we live in a shitty old drafty house bulit 100 years ago with **** all insulation

Ouch...though can't imagine you have that cold a winter down your way generally?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

We oay for oil heating on a budget plan up in New England. Lock in over the summer and pay $145 a month. Elec normally comes in at around $90 a month. I dont think thats bad at all, and we live in a drafty old 1920's house with **** all insulation too. Mind you there are only two of us and the house is brick which is unusual for these parts.
We rent, so the oil guy won't do a locked plan because we can move and that'll ruin things apparently....

Oh, and our electric was around $90 last month, usually around $120-150, higher up towards the warmer months.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
timber frame with siding here

shite
Victorian house here, it's shite.....except the apartment downstairs, because the landlords used to live there before they had more kids so got another house....you can tell, because it's so much more likely pointed and insulated.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I must admit I dont even know what my per gallon rate is. I guess that is lazy. But I know its a lot lower than the rates people I know pay who seem to worry about it incessantly - the price of oil that is. I just like the ease of knowing where I am monthly and paying by direct debit and only having to worry about it once a year. With the company we use they estiamte your usage and then come around based on that and fill your tank to the full. Easy peasy
$3.40 a gallon....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

How long do you season it for though? I have bought fire wood in the states and its been as green as though it was felled the day before. Not best pleased as you can imagine
FIL seasons for a couple years...well he gets it stacked and leaves it one year, splits it the following year, and will then burn what was split the previous year....a good sized shed type thing to cover it all....they also lug a load up to the grandmothers, and for other close friends and family if they want to pick it up themselves.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
Many wood stoves are horribly ineficient, masonary Stoves are the best, wood has to be burned at a high temperature.

Heating does not need to be expensive, better to invest your money in not heating the outside.

US standards are crap admittedly, now the cost consequences are being felt.
Metal stove much better than a fireplace....decent hard wood, burns really hot and won't leave much behind...inlaws burn a few logs a day and don't have to empty the ash for a couple months, which is chucked outside for grip on the driveway.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:32 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ouch...though can't imagine you have that cold a winter down your way generally?
it was down to 19f last week

NASTY :curse:
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just curious across the board to see what's the average.

We just got the months oil bill, $370 a month for a medium sized apartment with the heat being around 59-62F for the most part...and that's with the last couple of weeks being pretty mild.

I'm now off to cry at the pain
our highest gas bill usually averages at $150......will probably be for next months bill and then it starts going down in March
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Metal stove much better than a fireplace....decent hard wood, burns really hot and won't leave much behind...inlaws burn a few logs a day and don't have to empty the ash for a couple months, which is chucked outside for grip on the driveway.
yes well youre a sensible brit. the ole dad used to season his oak for a couple of years and had cast iron wood burners in the two living rooms and jesus they were hot. heated the whole 16th C cottage they had, well okay there was an Aga too....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

yes well youre a sensible brit. the ole dad used to season his oak for a couple of years and had cast iron wood burners in the two living rooms and jesus they were hot. heated the whole 16th C cottage they had, well okay there was an Aga too....
That's another advantage for us. Our bill is lower since we don't use the electric furnace anymore and we can keep the house as warm as we want instead of setting the thermostat to 62.

The initial outlay for a woodstove and install isn't cheap, but we waited until a used one came up in the paper and got it for $350.00. It's an older model and probably not as effecient as a newer one, but a new one would have cost nearly ten times what we paid. My In-laws are brickies so they built us a corner hearth for free, and I hired a guy to do the parts of the stovepipe install I didn't want to do myself, like cutting a big hole in the roof! The insulated stove pipe costs quite a bit, luckily we had a short, straight run.

For anyone interested in wood heat, www.hearth.com is a great site.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's another advantage for us. Our bill is lower since we don't use the electric furnace anymore and we can keep the house as warm as we want instead of setting the thermostat to 62.

The initial outlay for a woodstove and install isn't cheap, but we waited until a used one came up in the paper and got it for $350.00. It's an older model and probably not as effecient as a newer one, but a new one would have cost nearly ten times what we paid. My In-laws are brickies so they built us a corner hearth for free, and I hired a guy to do the parts of the stovepipe install I didn't want to do myself, like cutting a big hole in the roof! The insulated stove pipe costs quite a bit, luckily we had a short, straight run.

For anyone interested in wood heat, www.hearth.com is a great site.
But if you had an Aga you'd be quids in
http://www.aga-rayburn.co.uk/

Huge initial outlay but worth their weight in Gold-io

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.