Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Could be tough for him to open a bank account fatbrit without proof of address or the requisite US id.
Maybe you could recommend a bank for him that are more accomodating than others.
Citibank or hsbc could be options if he goes into a branch in the UK to set something up, but if he just walks into a Citibank in the US he has no chance.
Shouldn't be a problem getting a checking account open -- there's no reason he can't have one. Sometimes you get ignorant staff blurting verbal diarrhea about the Patriot (Paranoid) Act or some such. Just walk and find another more enlightened one or give them some gob depending on your mood.

Personally, I'd open the first one with a big bastard who does secured credit cards like Wank of America. You can always dump them later. He needs to take out the secured card as soon as the ssn is in.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I took mine, but they never made a note of it.
I think I remember a post on here to the effect that they are actually not allowed to ask for your ssn by law, but i could be imagining that
If you've got an ssn, you must give it to them (Paranoid Act). If you haven't, they must merely confirm your identity.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Shouldn't be a problem getting a checking account open -- there's no reason he can't have one. Sometimes you get ignorant staff blurting verbal diarrhea about the Patriot (Paranoid) Act or some such. Just walk and find another more enlightened one or give them some gob depending on your mood.

Personally, I'd open the first one with a big bastard who does secured credit cards like Wank of America. You can always dump them later. He needs to take out the secured card as soon as the ssn is in.
Yep - that's the sh*te that they spun with me.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:47 pm
Septicity

Yep - that's the sh*te that they spun with me.

It's a good introduction to your born-again life. Perseverance will pay off. OP should try till he succeeds -- it will be useful to have the account running, ATM/Debit cards issued and checkbook printed from day one.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Don't you need a SSN to open one?
don't need one to open an account, they normally ask for it as a form of ID.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
List of priorities:

1/ Open a bank account (could do this on the visit)
2/ Get an NJ driver license as soon as you can (many procrastinate -- gawd knows why!)
3/ Start on your credit as soon as possible -- ideas here.

Our first priority was to get a Social Security number glad we did because you can't get far without it. Also need drivers license for ID we found if that no-one would except our passports as proof of ID. You will need the license and insurance before you can lease a vehicle.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
My initial reaction is that you're overestimating the costs here - particularly the car insurance: We pay $2,400/yr total for two cars (Honda CRV and Pontiac Vibe) with GEICO. This cost reflects the fact that our insurer factors in my USC wife's previous US driving history. It's very rare (but not unknown) for your UK driving history/experience to count for anything here. Varies from state to state and from insurer to insurer.

General living costs:
The big concern, as Boiler says, is medical insurance - hopefully the firm asking you to relocate will take care of this, but it can still cost you: Health insurance via my employers (huge engineering consultancy) for me, the mrs, and one child costs me $450 per month. If you have to sort out health insurance for a family off your own bat it's going to cost a fortune.

Do you plan to put the kids in day care? That'll be around $1,000 p
er month each, based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

No idea about house rental costs, but in general property is expensive here - we own a two bedroom cottage in a historic neighbourhood 30 miles west of NYC and our mortgage is $1,700 per month.

Generally NJ is a great place to live - you can just as quickly be in NYC or in some completely unspoilt countryside. Don't believe people who make glib generalisations about NJ being a dump - yes there are some deeply unappealing parts (eg the ride from Newark airport into Manhattan seems to put many people off), but they are really not representative of the state. We spent yesterday hiking in a wooded gorge with trout fishing stream and followed that up with fish & chips in an English-run pub that brews its own ale on the premises.

We used to live at Powder Mill and I used to use the Post Office at Mt Tabor.We now live just west of M/town.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:06 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
<<snip>> followed that up with fish & chips in an English-run pub that brews its own ale on the premises.
Could you post the address/directions to this place. Sounds like just the pub I need
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:28 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwakasmith
Elfman,

thanks for this, very useful. Intend to put the kids into Montessori approx 3 days p/week.

The car insurance news is encouraging. Whilst were on the motors subject, any idea how long it can take from arriving in the US to being able to own/run a car ? Assume I'll have to get a US drivers licence.

Thanks again.
Hello

We relocated 3 months ago. Bought two cars through International Auto source and they arranged insurance for us $1000 per year for both cars.
Arranged mortgage with Wells Fargo, without social security number. They also gave us a credit card with a limit of $2500. (We also kept UK cards).
Opened bank account with Citizens, also without ss number, because we are with Royal Bank of Scotland and they are part of same group. Hardest thing was cell phones....huge deposit paid. No one could get round the lack of ss number.
My OH's new US company relocated us and the relocation company they used gave us lots of help. They referred us to people who were used to dealing with overseas relocations so that initial lack of ss number didn't cause a problem( other than the cell phones !!!!!!!)
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings,

have been asked to relocate from the UK to New Jersey and currently trying to get a feel for the costs. We have 2 kids under the age of 4 and will be looking to rent a 3-4 bed house and to run 2 cars nr Edison.

My initial estimates suggest I'll need approx $7,300 per month take home for a fairly basic standard of living.

PS, also heard car insurance could set me back approx $6000 p/a per car - nothing special i.e., a Chrysler PT Cruiser and a Mazda Tribute SUV.

Does anyone out there have any 1st hand experience they can share ? If so, much appreciated.

Brgds
Kwakasmith
AIG will take account of your UK driving record when insuring you, just get a no claims letter from your UK insurer .
Wells Fargo will allow you to open a checking account with a passport and $200 and will also forward you shiny new debit cards to a UK address.
You can only apply for a SS# with a US address and your visa - do it when you move it - takes about 3 weeks
Here in CA you cannot buy a car without a CA license but I leased one from the UK with International Auto Source at 0% interest and 0% down helped us build a credit history. Get an Amex credit card in the UK and transfer it here that also helps and they are the only people that do this transfer.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

NJ was a one of the States that swaps driving licenses from United Nations Member countries for NJ license. Not sure if they still do.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_licen...abroad.htmlReg.
Frank R.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frrussre
NJ was a one of the States that swaps driving licenses from United Nations Member Countries
Just wondering which countries that would exclude.

And if they have Drivers Licenses.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:43 am
Just Joined

kwakasmith is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

Boiler, Frrussre, Eskimo, Jumping Doris, NJ-Dave, Jerseygirl, Bob, Fatbrit and BugDavyG, Thanks for all you help and assistance with this. Has certainly helped to allay some of our initial concerns and given me a few new issues to prepare for.

Cheers
Kwaka
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:58 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Could you post the address/directions to this place. Sounds like just the pub I need
http://www.shipinn.com/
It's not exactly on your doorstep, but I think it's worth the hour and a half or so drive from where you are.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...My initial estimates suggest I'll need approx $7,300 per month take home for a fairly basic standard of living...
Since everyone else has been so helpful, I'll be ornery (for a change).

How did you arrive at $7,300 per months take-home for a "basic" standard of living???

I know that the price of living varies wildly across the US, but it's fair to say that anywhere you go a salary of >$100,000 is pretty damed high.

Of course you can always spend as much as you make and more if you're not careful, but still... "basic"? I think that a few million Americans would have something to say about that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.