Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

Old Dec 21st 2006, 2:53 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all
Default How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

Having spoken to friends and former colleagues in the UK, it seems that most will break today fro Christmas and New Year and won't return until 2nd January. Those in the building trade have even longer. I get Christmas Day and New Years Day and I'll be working the rest of the time because I've no vacation left because of the crap allowance.

This got me thinking about the stark differences in culture between the US and UK:
1) When I worked in the UK, we finished at lunchtime today and all went to the pub, ate and got drunk. Here, I'll finish on Friday and be working right up to the bell.
2) I'll be working Christmas week (see above) - never done this before. It seems quite normal, even construction workers will be working which is unheard of in the UK.
3) I was always aware of a lifting of spirits and general excitement in the UK around Christmas-time. Everybody seemed to have fun and was up for a laugh. All that I've noticed here in an increase in shopping and associated traffic. I work in the centre of Philadelphia and it could be any other time in winter.
4) Work colleagues here don't send Christmas cards or gifts, nor are there any decorations around the office to speak of.

It's my first Christmas working here and I'm not impressed. Bah humbug!

What are your observations of the festive season here in the good ol' US of A and how many days will you be taking off work?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much time will you be taking off this Christmas?

My observations (which are well known when it comes to work and time off here ) are exactly the same as yours.

Those 4 are spot on, number 3 in particular is the one that really gets me here. I'm not surprised it is the way it is though - all anyone is looking forward to is one day off above the usual weekend, then its on with work for the New Year. Whoopty-@@@@king-do.

Happy Holidays, everyone! (But when you don't get any time off, its not a holiday in my book!)

Last edited by Dan725; Dec 21st 2006 at 3:06 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:06 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dan725
My observations (which are well known when it comes to work and time off here ) are exactly the same as yours.

Those 4 are spot on, number 3 in particular is the one that really gets me here. I'm not surprised it is the way it is though - all anyone is looking forward to is one day off above the usual weekend, then its on with work for the New Year. Whoopty-@@@@king-do.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Absolutely, it just feels like it's going to be a bank-holiday type weekend.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:06 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

10 days ta very much....tomorow till the 2nd of Jan.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

same here, 10 days and the office is very festive and happy...
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:16 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

if we are talking full days off then i'm not (apart fom xmas day and new years day), checking for occassional voicemails and emails or taking a call is not the end of the world for me.

but then again, I have a 'relaxed' schedule...
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:27 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

Happy Holidays, everyone! (But when you don't get any time off, its not a holiday in my book!)
For me the lack of time off is the worst thing about living here and we badly underestimated the impact it would have.
I miss the sense of anticipation that you get in the UK.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414821
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

I work tomorrow and then do not come back until Jan 2nd.
My entire workplace closes which is rare in the US.
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be taking off approximately 2 weeks or so.

then again I am unemployed right now and I may take off longer if I can't get a new job sooner.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:53 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
I work tomorrow and then do not come back until Jan 2nd.
Same here - my office is closed Dec 25th and 26th, and on the afternoon of the 29th, so I only have to take two and a half days vacation time to have 10 days off. Can't bloody wait. Tomorrow my department are all going out for lunch and we have it from the VP that consumption of alcohol has been authorised. Well ta very much. Not going to go overboard because I have to follow with a 10 hour drive down to Virginia.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 weeks off as I work in a college. I actually get 5 weeks a year which is rare here.
Before this job I was lucky to get Christmas day off as I work in the hospitality industry. I never felt that festive excitement before we moved to the Carolinas to a small town (previously Atlanta)
I have found that in this area and at my workplace a great Christmas vibe we have a big Xmas party for the entire faculty and staff and my department went out for a really nice Xmas lunch party finishing early and taking a half day for it.

I think it depends on your location and the surroundings as Ive experienced both.
My happiness and feeling settled here are due to the area we now live, close to U.S. family and my great job. I'm really lucky but it took me a while to get to this point.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

then again I am unemployed right now and I may take off longer if I can't get a new job sooner.
ouch....that blows...well good luck finding somethin' mate.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:22 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
Having spoken to friends and former colleagues in the UK, it seems that most will break today fro Christmas and New Year and won't return until 2nd January. Those in the building trade have even longer. I get Christmas Day and New Years Day and I'll be working the rest of the time because I've no vacation left because of the crap allowance.

This got me thinking about the stark differences in culture between the US and UK:
1) When I worked in the UK, we finished at lunchtime today and all went to the pub, ate and got drunk. Here, I'll finish on Friday and be working right up to the bell.
2) I'll be working Christmas week (see above) - never done this before. It seems quite normal, even construction workers will be working which is unheard of in the UK.
3) I was always aware of a lifting of spirits and general excitement in the UK around Christmas-time. Everybody seemed to have fun and was up for a laugh. All that I've noticed here in an increase in shopping and associated traffic. I work in the centre of Philadelphia and it could be any other time in winter.
4) Work colleagues here don't send Christmas cards or gifts, nor are there any decorations around the office to speak of.

It's my first Christmas working here and I'm not impressed. Bah humbug!

What are your observations of the festive season here in the good ol' US of A and how many days will you be taking off work?
totally know where you are coming from- it's prob. what bugs me about the US the most - "we are so big on family values"- but you can't actually spend any time with them.

I have Christmas week off- unpaid- because my daycare lady (who is English) has the week off.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I'll be taking off approximately 2 weeks or so.

Hope you find something new soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.