Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Much Spending Money?

How Much Spending Money?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Much Spending Money?

I just booked a cab ride to LaGuardia for next week from my home. The cost is $56, tip optional.

If you want to go the inexpensive route, at the exit from baggage claim you will see a line for shuttle services to the city. The cost is something around $15 a person. Not the most comfortable ride but it okay to take. I've take it quite often myself when I am leaving from the city proper. The drop off points are usually in front of Grand Central Terminal (42nd and Vanderbilt), Penn Station (34th and 8th) and the bus terminal. From these you can grab a regular cab by holding out your arm.

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
To the OP: I agree with the others that $1000 for 3-4 days should be sufficient unless you're looking to splurge. We had some fantastic dinners for about $15-$20/entree but those were 4 star places of course.

Regarding the taxi from the airport. I believe the fixed rate from JFK to Manhattan was $65 when I went a few weeks ago.

Just stay away from Bank of America ATMs, that's where my cards were skimmed. (I'm sure I'm just leary of their system right now ... but with so many other options, why take a chance?) Also, generic tip of the day, make sure your savings account isn't linked to your ATM as a safety measure.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sykes
Ann,

I think $1000 per day (exuding accommodation) would allow you to have a very nice time... by no means champagne and caviar but also far far above fast food for every meal... Remember all hotels are hurting right now, try to get breaky included.

Wow evidentally you must live well, my friend, if you think $1,000 per day will allow you ONLY a nice time.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow evidentally you must live well, my friend, if you think $1,000 per day will allow you ONLY a nice time.
This is why this thread's a bit daft, to be fair. Everyone is different and NYC has a myriad of options at almost every price range imagineable - so to be able to tell a stranger what they should expect to spend is next to impossible - hence the range of costs quoted in my earlier post which even then is by definition wrong.

I've eaten a perfectly good hot breakfast bagel with egg for $2, had a slap up Indian buffet lunch for $10 and pizza for dinner for not much more. I could drink one beer and spend the rest of the evening walking round soaking up the atmosphere before using my Metro Card to get home. I have done this.

On other trips I've splurged for a $20 (yes, ouch) omelet at the hotel, expensive buffet lunch, cabs everywhere and a show in the evening (or gone out and got hammered with friends at great expense instead). In between I spent almost $1000 on clothes (this was just after my divorce!)

Yes - the OP will be fine budgeting $1000 for spends for the entire trip. Or $100 per day. Or $1000 per day. Or any other number for that matter as long as it doesn't get below $25-30 per day or thereabouts (when even the resourceful might struggle).

I suppose that's the beauty of credit cards - just spend when you feel like it. Just keep a bit of cash for cabs or a quick snack and you're all set.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

sykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant futuresykes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow evidentally you must live well, my friend, if you think $1,000 per day will allow you ONLY a VERY nice time.
fixed
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:11 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry ... I'd thought it was a reasonable question.

Not having been to the States for 18 years. Been living in NZ for the last 3 years.

Clearly it's not as there are so many variables ... to be honest I hadn't really thought along the lines of all the different scenarios ... just thought I'd get a kind of "middle of the road" budget.

I'll get my coat ...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sykes
Ann,

I think $1000 per day (exuding accommodation) would allow you to have a very nice time... by no means champagne and caviar but also far far above fast food for every meal... Remember all hotels are hurting right now, try to get breaky included.
what complete and utter bollocks. I live in Manhattan, I live very well, and this is a ridiculous exaggeration. Unless you are doing lots and lots of shopping, $1000 is way above what you would need for a day. You say 'by no means champagne and caviar'.....even at a fairly high end restaurant you wouldnt be paying more than $200 per head and thats if you splurge so I dont know where on earth you are coming up with that figure. I know everyone is different, but this is just stupid and misleading to the OP.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Sorry ... I'd thought it was a reasonable question.

Not having been to the States for 18 years. Been living in NZ for the last 3 years.

Clearly it's not as there are so many variables ... to be honest I hadn't really thought along the lines of all the different scenarios ... just thought I'd get a kind of "middle of the road" budget.

I'll get my coat ...
It's a perfectly reasonable question! It sounds like most of us agree on what would be a good budget for you, understanding that you may adjust up or down based on what you do in New York.

Hope you have a wonderful time.