Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much is rent?

How much is rent?

Old May 4th 2012, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is rent?

Originally Posted by N1cky
Got the house. I sign and pay the deposit on Monday, for a house that is 1,000 sq ft smaller than where I currently live, 14% more expensive and that I haven't actually seen the inside of.

I must be crazy. Move date, 2 weeks tomorrow
Doesn't sound too bad - congrats and you can enjoy the concert now!
Old May 4th 2012, 11:25 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Doesn't sound too bad - congrats and you can enjoy the concert now!
No, it could have been a lot worse. Seems strange not having seen it though. Moving at the right time of year to use the pool
Old May 4th 2012, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Got the house. I sign and pay the deposit on Monday, for a house that is 1,000 sq ft smaller than where I currently live, 14% more expensive and that I haven't actually seen the inside of.

I must be crazy. Move date, 2 weeks tomorrow
Glad to hear it

Enjoy the weekend now
Old May 4th 2012, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

No, it could have been a lot worse. Seems strange not having seen it though. Moving at the right time of year to use the pool
You have to change your location to 'into the unseen'

Pool sounds good
Old May 4th 2012, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, I hope!
Old May 5th 2012, 12:07 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Phew! You're not going to be homeless after all
Old May 5th 2012, 4:56 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
That $300 increase is frightening. I suppose landlords do that because they can, unfortunately, since the residential letting market has heated up so much in recent years.

We never thought about stipulating the size of rent increases in our contract--that's an excellent idea.

Such a nice low rent plus a landlord who's actually opposed to raising the rent on existing tenants? Are you sure you're living in the same US the rest of us are, the one with the big housing crisis?
I don't rock the boat, keep the lawn mowed and not bother the owner for anything that isn't serious. It is important to him to know the rent will be paid monthly, and on time. No worries on his part and a reduced rate(as compared to like properties) on mine.
Old May 6th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

lorenei is on a distinguished road

We are just moving near Aspen, CO, the place we are going to rent is a house that was split up into two apartments - ours is a 3 bed and it's $1650 a month. The view we see from our window is worth a million dollars though!

Our friends who also just moved to this area got a beautiful 4 bed house for $2200 a month.

This place is not the cheapest place to live but definitely seems better than Silicone Valley!
Old May 6th 2012, 7:29 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I don't rock the boat, keep the lawn mowed and not bother the owner for anything that isn't serious. It is important to him to know the rent will be paid monthly, and on time. No worries on his part and a reduced rate(as compared to like properties) on mine.
Hey we do all that too, the husband & I! But it hasn't stopped our landlord(s) in both countries knocking our rent up every time we renew. . . .

I don't think I've had a landlord since uni who *hasn't* raised the rent at some point. And really $1K for 4beds/2baths is an enviable price. I think you're lucky.
Old May 6th 2012, 7:40 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hey we do all that too, the husband & I! But it hasn't stopped our landlord(s) in both countries knocking our rent up every time we renew. . . .

I don't think I've had a landlord since uni who *hasn't* raised the rent at some point. And really $1K for 4beds/2baths is an enviable price. I think you're lucky.
Don't want to pour salt on... but I have never signed a lease, and no security deposit even with my dog. The landlord did need to meet the dog however.
Old May 6th 2012, 7:45 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Don't want to pour salt on... but I have never signed a lease, and no security deposit even with my dog. The landlord did need to meet the dog however.
Haha! Yes, now you ARE pouring salt.... You must have a perfectly lovely dog.