Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much money to go with?

How much money to go with?

Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

webster2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much money to go with?

Hi - my husband and I are currently going through the green card process - I'm a dual UK/USA citizen. I am a science teacher and I already have work through a teaching agency, being placed in either Virginia, N. Carolina or S. Carolina (not heard yet).

We are saving our pennies but would like an idea of how much is a good amount of money to go over with. We will get accommodation and a car to rent through the agency, but will have to pay for these. I will be earning around $29,000 a year, and my husband is yet to find work.

I know specifics may be hard, but a general idea would be great.

Cheers
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money to go with?

Ouch, that'll be tough till he gets a job...you've gotta figure in federal/state and possibly city taxes, social, medicare etc, plus your insurance.

Getting set up, well if you want your own place, without credit history will make the first year a bit more expensive, deposits on utilities etc. Same with a car, don't want to be on a rental long term.

Read through the wiki on credit and all the other stuff to get an idea of things, but a good wedge of cash will help...
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob for the reply.

Just to give you a bit more info I worked in NC teaching for a year back in 2004 and so have an idea of things, but there is no guarantee we'll get back to where I was. The agency send us to an area where science teachers are in demand.

The accommodation and car rental is subsidised - I think I paid around $700-800 for both, including insurances, last time. I get medicare as I'm a state employee.

My husband will obviously look for a job ASAP - he is a bookkeeper/finance administator by trade.

We just wanted an idea of costs re: groceries and cost of living. Do you think we could survive month to month on $2000 a month?

Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll be able to survive; but it won't be much fun.....
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what parts of the states your are considering. A resounding 'NO' if in Northern Viriginia, and it might be hard in some of the major cities of NC or SC. If you are in a small town, then the money might go quite a bit further than a city or suburb.

$29,000 isn't much. In my county in MD I think the starting pay is $38,000. Are you sure they the agency is playing honest with you???

http://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/pers...teachpay.shtml
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The money would be enough to survive on, but it'll be a crap quality of life as you won't be able to do much on it, nor save.

Medicare, don't count on it, you've got to pay for it but unless dirt poor, won't be able to use it, that's what medical insurance will be for, and that possibly won't be cheap, don't forget your an agency employee, not a state employee.

The combined rental/car, won't do you much use, you'll both need cars to get around in most parts of the US, so factor that in, also you'll want to buy a car as it's a good way to get a cheapish loan and start building up credit history, renting won't do that so a waste of money.

As you don't need sponsor ship, don't bother with the agency, just look for jobs in places you'd like to live, and then apply direct, you'll get better money because no one will be taking a cut and you'll get benefits.

Though doing that, you'll have to look at state requirements to get certified...if your open to locations, Maine has a big need for teachers and for people that move in, they'll waive costs to get certified if you work for x number of years, three I think, and the starting salary has gone up loads this year, $30K would certainly be more doable out there up north in the state...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webster2007
Hi - my husband and I are currently going through the green card process - I'm a dual UK/USA citizen. I am a science teacher and I already have work through a teaching agency, being placed in either Virginia, N. Carolina or S. Carolina (not heard yet).

We are saving our pennies but would like an idea of how much is a good amount of money to go over with. We will get accommodation and a car to rent through the agency, but will have to pay for these. I will be earning around $29,000 a year, and my husband is yet to find work.

I know specifics may be hard, but a general idea would be great.

Cheers
I live in NC and I can't believe you'll be earning $29,000 pa (that's before tax, right?). That seems rather low.

NC has a teacher shortage so you'll be well received here. You didn't say what grades you teach. I suppose it'd be middle or high school grades.

For grocery shopping, it's hard to say how much you'd spend. If you buy ready meals/frozen meals/convenience foods, your weekly shopping will cost more than $50.00 p/week.

$700-800 (per month?) will probably not cover monthly rent in better areas of NC. When I last rented (back in 2005), I paid more than that per month for a two bedroom apartment in Durham.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:42 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob for the reply.

Just to give you a bit more info I worked in NC teaching for a year back in 2004 and so have an idea of things, but there is no guarantee we'll get back to where I was. The agency send us to an area where science teachers are in demand.

The accommodation and car rental is subsidised - I think I paid around $700-800 for both, including insurances, last time. I get medicare as I'm a state employee.

My husband will obviously look for a job ASAP - he is a bookkeeper/finance administator by trade.

We just wanted an idea of costs re: groceries and cost of living. Do you think we could survive month to month on $2000 a month?

Thanks
As you probably know, if you rent, your utilities may be included in the rent but you'd probably have to pay for the washer and dryer.

To give you an idea about the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), Durham probably has the cheapest cost of living, followed by Raleigh, then Chapel Hill. Actually, Raleigh and Chapel Hill may be about the same. As you may know, Chapel Hill (in Orange County) has schools that are highly rated.

If you do end up heading to the Triangle, please feel free to send me a Private Message if you have questions about the area.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The money would be enough to survive on, but it'll be a crap quality of life as you won't be able to do much on it, nor save.

Medicare, don't count on it, you've got to pay for it but unless dirt poor, won't be able to use it, that's what medical insurance will be for, and that possibly won't be cheap, don't forget your an agency employee, not a state employee.

The combined rental/car, won't do you much use, you'll both need cars to get around in most parts of the US, so factor that in, also you'll want to buy a car as it's a good way to get a cheapish loan and start building up credit history, renting won't do that so a waste of money.

As you don't need sponsor ship, don't bother with the agency, just look for jobs in places you'd like to live, and then apply direct, you'll get better money because no one will be taking a cut and you'll get benefits.

Though doing that, you'll have to look at state requirements to get certified...if your open to locations, Maine has a big need for teachers and for people that move in, they'll waive costs to get certified if you work for x number of years, three I think, and the starting salary has gone up loads this year, $30K would certainly be more doable out there up north in the state...
I think you are confusing medicare with medicaid - medicare has nothing to do with being low-income.

I wasn't aware teachers got medicare though, that I wonder about. They usually do get some form of health care plan though, as far as I know.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:41 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think you are confusing medicare with medicaid - medicare has nothing to do with being low-income.

I wasn't aware teachers got medicare though, that I wonder about. They usually do get some form of health care plan though, as far as I know.
in TN at least they get decent quality heathcare, at a good price, but cerainly not medicare/medicaid - thats for poor/retired people
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point

My company gave me a relocation lump sum of $10k (before tax) and it was more than enough to get me started.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:24 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I will be earning around $29,000 a year,
I'm a lowly truck driver and earn way more than that.

they're ripping you off big time.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by FlatDog
My company gave me a relocation lump sum of $10k (before tax) and it was more than enough to get me started.
... and you are a public school teacher?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice - it has us re-thinking a few things.

Yes I teach high school physics and chemistry - most science actually. We've done a bit of research into teacher pay and it does seem to depend on what they count as years of experience and having a licence.

When I lived in NC in 2004-05 I was in a small town called Wallace where I rented a 3-bed apartment for $500 including utilities...I managed but I was on my own and had some savings.

We shall look into going without an agency..it gives us a bit more scope. We'd like to stick to the East coast, so any advice on where the teacher shortages are would be great (thanks for the Maine info).

Cheers
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ouch, that'll be tough till he gets a job...you've gotta figure in federal/state and possibly city taxes, social, medicare etc, plus your insurance.

Getting set up, well if you want your own place, without credit history will make the first year a bit more expensive, deposits on utilities etc. Same with a car, don't want to be on a rental long term.

Read through the wiki on credit and all the other stuff to get an idea of things, but a good wedge of cash will help...
Very right! We came over with a good chunk of money. My husband didn't get a job straight away and it was almost 10 months before he got a decent paying job. We had to buy cars and since we didn't bring furniture, we had to buy that and of course pay rent, utilities, etc out of our savings for a good long time. We were lucky in getting a decent rental and just using our bank balance as a credit rating, because we had none. Insurance was slightly more expensive because of the lack of credit rating as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.